2012 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

It would probably end up with four 1st pick between 25th and 30th... which is not super great, but Nashville would suck so much without Suter and Weber that their own pick would probably be excellent ;)

It would probably end up with four 1st pick between 25th and 30th... which is not super great, but Nashville would suck so much without Suter and Weber that their own pick would probably be excellent ;)

I expect you remember how we ended up picking the Habs fortunes for last year. Most of us missed by miles. A lot can happen in four years. I would expect Philly to offer a package to get out of four first rounders. We don't know what Nashville is going to do, but there is nothing I know that stops another team (other than a 14 year contact?) to make an offer to Nashville, in the next seven days, that presumedly bests the compensory picks.

I find it interesting that this offer flys in the face of the opening CBA salvo.

Even if they are late round picks, 4 1st rounders plus their 4 own equals 8 1sts in 4 years. If they wanna rebuild their franchise, they couldn't ask for a better oppertunity. I would gladly take the picks. I think the Flyers are doing them a favor since they were likely going to lose Weber for less or nothing anyways.

Nashville is not taking the picks and Weber is not staying in Nashville.

So what you are saying is that Nashville will not match and Philly will offer something other than the picks, which Nashville will except or Nashville will match and receive a better offer from one of the 28 other teams.

So what you are saying is that Nashville will not match and Philly will offer something other than the picks, which Nashville will except or Nashville will match and receive a better offer from one of the 28 other teams.

No, I'm saying sign and trade. The current rule is you cannot trade a player in the calendar year after signing an offer sheet but I believe the player can request to waive that rule.

What happened was Shea Weber was being in trade talks and got restless. He did want to goto Philly and was tired of Poile dragging his feet so he signed the Philly offer sheet. Poile knows that Weber doesn't want to stay so if he accepts it, it doesn't mean he has Shea Weber. It just means he has to go back to finding a team to trade him to. The current AAV for the deal is either going to be two firsts/second/third or four firsts and honestly both are bad value for Shea Weber. This was all a way to mess over David Poile for taking too long in Shea Weber's eyes.

14 years!!! This is stupid. I repeat, the CBA better do something about this as GMs continue to screw not only themselves, but the rest of the GMs that have more sense. There is not a expectation among top players that they get a "career contract" with no remaining risk (or much incentive) to earn their pay. If Markov is a shadow of his former self (I hope not, but it could happen due to the knee), can you imagine having him locked up at a high cap for the next 10 years!

How can Nashville match when the deal is structured so as to pay Weber $28 million in the first season of the contract? No way can they do that. Weber is a Flyer, unless the NHL nixes the 14-year term the way they did with Kovalchuk, as an obvious end run around the cap.

You could, of course, argue that this is actually good news for them, inasmuch as they might not have been able to sign Weber anyway, so at least they get something back. But boy, that's really stretching it.

What needs to happen now is that somebody needs to poach one or more of Philly's high-end young talent in the same way. That'd put an end to their predations.

Lesson for the Habs? Lock up your young studs before some arsehole swoops in.

14 years!!! This is stupid. I repeat, the CBA better do something about this as GMs continue to screw not only themselves, but the rest of the GMs that have more sense. There is not a expectation among top players that they get a "career contract" with no remaining risk (or much incentive) to earn their pay. If Markov is a shadow of his former self (I hope not, but it could happen due to the knee), can you imagine having him locked up at a high cap for the next 10 years!

I say let them sign as long a contract as they want, most bust and turn out to be dumb and are hard contracts to off-load when go sideways (a la Luongo, Lacavalier), so let the owners dig own "Gomez-like" holes if they want, they are always good for a laugh when a DePietro happens and sinks a team for a decade or more.

I say let them sign as long a contract as they want, most bust and turn out to be dumb and are hard contracts to off-load when go sideways (a la Luongo, Lacavalier), so let the owners dig own "Gomez-like" holes if they want, they are always good for a laugh when a DePietro happens and sinks a team for a decade or more.

Exactly let the free market reign... Just cause everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to follow if you think its dumb.

Don't rule out Nashville not matching and then turning around and dealing the picks back to Philly (or somewhere else I suppose) for players that better suit what they need. It doesn't happen often but there are instances where it has occurred before.

The issue is these deals are not made in isolation. They are like poison pills for rich teams to raid poor teams. If they guy sucks, Philly can afford to bury him in the minors and save the cap space. Nashville cannot.

Second. Its all fun and games until they do it to Pacs, Price, or Subban, and we either have to lose the player, or sign our own, stupid contract.

The issue is these deals are not made in isolation. They are like poison pills for rich teams to raid poor teams. If they guy sucks, Philly can afford to bury him in the minors and save the cap space. Nashville cannot.

Second. Its all fun and games until they do it to Pacs, Price, or Subban, and we either have to lose the player, or sign our own, stupid contract.

Amen.

Don't rule out Nashville not matching and then turning around and dealing the picks back to Philly (or somewhere else I suppose) for players that better suit what they need. It doesn't happen often but there are instances where it has occurred before.

Yes, Shayne Corson and Chris Gratton

If the rich teams were paying more revenue sharing to the poor teams it wouldn't be an issue. There wouldn't be the great revenue disparity that allows the offer sheet to be a raiding mechanism. They would become a strategy mechanism like they are in the NBA.

You want a big contract? fine, you can have it, we'll take the cap space.

See the New York Knicks of all teams being raided in the NBA losing 2 players on offer sheets this year.

Sorry i just dont have any sympathy. The sooner there is contraction the better, i could do without about 10 teams. Then each team would have 5 or 6 all stars instead of 1-3 and the AHL/KHL/SEL would all have higher quality players also.

The owners group are the ones who make the rules and run this business, both crap and big market teams i thik have "fairly equal" say when creating CBA, so again if cant compete or arrange some kind of revenue sharing to somewhat level playing field, too bad.

If a team wants to put an offer on a RFA and is a high paid guy, you do get a sweet return and if that aint working/fair a new CBA is being written as we speak, let the whiners have their say.

If it happens to a Hab, so be it, can also go the other way and it is not that common at all, so not a big deal anyways.

God damnit... 1 error in a 2500 word manifesto

Didnt mean it in a mean way. That was a great read. :) Didnt know anything about the offer sheets from before. I thought it was a new thing from the 2005 CBA.

Sorry i just dont have any sympathy. The sooner there is contraction the better, i could do without about 10 teams. Then each team would have 5 or 6 all stars instead of 1-3 and the AHL/KHL/SEL would all have higher quality players also.

The owners group are the ones who make the rules and run this business, both crap and big market teams i thik have "fairly equal" say when creating CBA, so again if cant compete or arrange some kind of revenue sharing to somewhat level playing field, too bad.

If a team wants to put an offer on a RFA and is a high paid guy, you do get a sweet return and if that aint working/fair a new CBA is being written as we speak, let the whiners have their say.

If it happens to a Hab, so be it, can also go the other way and it is not that common at all, so not a big deal anyways.

You are confusing many issues. I didn't rail against offer sheets, or the size of the NHL. I am railing against these long contracts, which are both a way around the cap and a way to screw smaller teams that can't afford the risk. Frankly, either ensure the cap hit stays even if you bury the guy or he retires, OR... put some limits on them.

For all we know, PK isn't signed because his agent is asking for 12 year contract.

there is nothing worse for great hockey then taking the stars and eliminating their need to perform for their next contract. We will have a league full of Gomez's!