Habs Prospect Awards...

puck7x

Originally posted by Trizzak

I gotta say, I haven't heard much about the prospect defenceman. Cote, Archer, Sanford...

Is this my lack of knowledge, or are they not worth hearing about?

Cote and Sanford were signed as CHL FA's, Cote was drafted by the leafs but wasn't signed, we picked him up last summer. Sanford was never drafted (no surprise, how may 5'8 defensemen get drafted) but he had a very good career with Moncton.

Cote is a guy that isn't the most skilled but works hard every night, is a team player and plays a very safe solid game in his own end. After two seasons he's the career leader in plus minus with Hamilton with a +44 or so. Last year he led all rookies with a +27. Will take the body, will drop the gloves, doesn't have much of an offensive game.

Archer was drafted by Savard in '01 in the 7th round. Former captain of the storm, he also is a defensive defensemen, as his offensive game is limited. But at 6'4 217, he's got NHL size, although he's not the most physical defensemen, he will take the body and can drop the gloves. His main strength is his solid play in his own end, as he plays a very safe game.

Sanford is very small but not afraid to mix it up. He's got very good offensive skills, moves the puck well but needs a good bit of work on his defensive game. Sanford is a bit on the fiesty side as he won't back down.

I think all three should have a big impact with the Dogs next year. Cote and Archer are more quite guys, as they aren't the flashy type, but are solid defensemen. Sanford is a guy that will put points on the board, and he was 100% in shootouts this year with Hamilton!