Draft Night, Round One

dlbalr

Best Available

Collberg

Finn

Aberg

DiGiuseppe

Thrower

I had the Habs picking U of Michigan Di Giuseppe. But my guess now is that there's someone on the Habs top 10 list still available.

I'm incline now to predict the Habs selecting a Swede with their next pick.

I am soo pleased to have Galchenyuk in the fold. A steal at 3 considering he would have gave Yakupov a run for 1st had he played all season. His work ethic and character alone will pay dividends as early as next season. I read somewhere that his father was playing at 6'1 220. Hopefully Alex has the same bone structure and can physically mature into a serious force within a few seasons.

Im anxious to see TT & co hustle the league with a few second round gems and so forth.

I think Buffalo and Washington are laughing outta their jocks with their hauls today.

Also, Id like to add. Shero is a tool. Even with Malkin and Crosby... I wouldn't be overly confident with Staal & Staal as a conference rival. Holmgren never would have done that. At least he ships his ex studs out west as a precaution to backlash.

And... its official. Gainey hates Ribiero.. lmao..

Very interesting draft so far, I agree that Buffalo and Washington seem to have done very well (I can't believe the leafs passed on Grigs and Forsberg, their fans will be regretting that in a year or so, but I guess, whats new there). We can breath easy as hab fans, this guy, Galchenyuk, really seems like the real deal, I think we finally have that big, skilled number one centre we have missed since, well, probably Bobby Smith. No offense to Saku, who had the skill to be a top 10 scorer in the league, he never seemed to be the same player after the 2 knee injuries (and, hard to flourish with the garbage linemates he had to play with too). Hopefully we land a few gems in rounds 2 to 7!

Very interesting draft so far, I agree that Buffalo and Washington seem to have done very well (I can't believe the leafs passed on Grigs and Forsberg, their fans will be regretting that in a year or so, but I guess, whats new there). We can breath easy as hab fans, this guy, Galchenyuk, really seems like the real deal, I think we finally have that big, skilled number one centre we have missed since, well, probably Bobby Smith. No offense to Saku, who had the skill to be a top 10 scorer in the league, he never seemed to be the same player after the 2 knee injuries (and, hard to flourish with the garbage linemates he had to play with too). Hopefully we land a few gems in rounds 2 to 7!

Saku had the same problem Plek has been having. A top tier second line center playing too many minutes against the best D pairing night in night out. If they had insulation they would('ve) be(en) much more effective players.

I am soo pleased to have Galchenyuk in the fold. A steal at 3 considering he would have gave Yakupov a run for 1st had he played all season. His work ethic and character alone will pay dividends as early as next season. I read somewhere that his father was playing at 6'1 220. Hopefully Alex has the same bone structure and can physically mature into a serious force within a few seasons.

Im anxious to see TT & co hustle the league with a few second round gems and so forth.

I think Buffalo and Washington are laughing outta their jocks with their hauls today.

Also, Id like to add. Shero is a tool. Even with Malkin and Crosby... I wouldn't be overly confident with Staal & Staal as a conference rival. Holmgren never would have done that. At least he ships his ex studs out west as a precaution to backlash.

And... its official. Gainey hates Ribiero.. lmao..

Agreed Buffalo and Washington were winners. It is pretty dumb not to take the best deal available, when you are competing with fourteen teams for a playoff spot. That logic is old school when you had to get out of your own division before you moved on. Even then I would trade with a conference rival but non division rival to get best deal available.

I am just sooooo pleased with this pick. The Habs being the Habs, I irrationally had this pessimistic feeling that they'd find some way to f*ck it up - but all the info I can find on this kid suggests that we made the best conceivable choice and that he has a very real chance to become a franchise-defining player for us.

Personally, though, I'd be surprised to see him in the NHL next season. He missed a full year of junior hockey, for heaven's sake. If he can play effectively in the big leagues despite that, then he is even better than we think. I expect one more season of Pleks/DD/Eller before he enters the picture and the longer-term shape of things at C begins the process of clarifying itself.

In terms of the wider doings: part of me regrets we couldn't bring Ribeiro home to serve as a transitional upgrade at C, but I'm not sure I see him as the game-changer people seem to think. Assuming Semin is gone, how is that an improvement for them, really? Carolina scored big and I do like Buffalo: what with Hodgson, Myers, Grigs, etc., they seem to have a good stable of high-end young talent.

But as a rule, worrying too much about what other teams are doing or have done is a mug's game. Every season there is panic in Habsland about team X or Y and how they imporved so much. And every season there are teams that unexpectedly bomb out, just as we did last year. I'm sure MB has the horse-sense to tend his garden and not worry excessively about this move or that by rival organizations.

Best Available

Collberg

Finn

Aberg

DiGiuseppe

Thrower

And we get 2 of these + Bozon; so in the end get 4 1st round talented kids, i would say Timmins gets a A+, but a bit/bunch of luck also helped. I had hoped for a sweet haul, but blown away with majority favorite-Galchenyuk and Collberg at 33rd, what a sweet steal! He outshone Forsberg at world juniors and reminds me of a swedish Jeff Skinner.

Thrower will be a fan favorite and his own comparison to Kevin Bieksa is bang-on. He, Tinrodi and Dietz will add the missing grit to back end!

Vail/Hudon and Swede? long shots i supose.