Gomez bought out?

Helmethead

If he's pouty about getting demoted, who's going to want him on their team? It took Edmonton a while to find a taker for Souray years ago and he wasn't even pouting (he was upset with the team and Tambellini decided to keep him away because of his attitude towards the organization).

I think Tambellini is a baffoon.

I think Tambellini is a baffoon.

You would be right. But Jeff Katz isn't hockey savvy enough to realize that it's an old boys network on the Oilers. Or maybe he does but he has been convinced that getting rid of so many ex-Oilers and trying to convince new management people to come to Edmonton is too difficult.

It has always been strange to me how Edmonton is a place nobody wants to play for with so much struggle but the Calgary Flames is a place free agents have no issue signing for. Pretty easy to figure out why. It ain't the city. It's the management.

I realize everyone is trying to be creative, and it's good reading. But Gomez is NOT going to retire. Not a chance. And leave all that bank on the table? Never. And no matter his attitude, a coaching offer seems unrealistic.

Would you have said the same thing about Drury?

I'd tend to agree with you, but I guess it all depends on his attitude. if Gomez takes his demotion to the AHL very poorly it may not be beneficial to have a brooding veteran down on the farm with all of our impressionable young prospects.

He chose the ECHL during the lockout to play in Alaska maybe he would want to go back into that league?

Everything waits for the CBA.

Seriously, people should stop thinking of ways to get rid of Gomez that involve him devaluing his own career.

If we can buy out Gomez without any cap issue, we are going to do it and he'll be free to sign wherever he wants to. If not, I'm sure Gomez already knows a team who will take him as a loan. If all else fails he goes into Hamilton and when a team decides they want him, we'll place him on re-entry waivers and take a bit of a cap hit but eating half of his salary for two years is better than a buy out and paying for him for four years.

People also need to keep it in the back of their mind that Gomez is a very well liked and respected player around the league and if Montreal treats him like crap, people are going to take note. We're not Philly or New York where we can drop players like nothing and people will still sign with us.

Everything waits for the CBA.

Seriously, people should stop thinking of ways to get rid of Gomez that involve him devaluing his own career.

If we can buy out Gomez without any cap issue, we are going to do it and he'll be free to sign wherever he wants to. If not, I'm sure Gomez already knows a team who will take him as a loan. If all else fails he goes into Hamilton and when a team decides they want him, we'll place him on re-entry waivers and take a bit of a cap hit but eating half of his salary for two years is better than a buy out and paying for him for four years.

People also need to keep it in the back of their mind that Gomez is a very well liked and respected player around the league and if Montreal treats him like crap, people are going to take note. We're not Philly or New York where we can drop players like nothing and people will still sign with us.

Actually, if you read my suggestion, its giving him a choice, which is not at all treating him like crap. The man knows he has been terrible the last two seasons, and that his time here is done.

Would you have said the same thing about Drury?

He chose the ECHL during the lockout to play in Alaska maybe he would want to go back into that league?

I don't recall the circumstances with Drury, and i'm too lazy to look it up. It doesn't matter anyway. Gomez is 32, and not walking away from 10 million dollars.

Doesn't the Price arbitration guarantee us a 2nd window to buy out Gomez? I don't want to buy him out but if the Habs do, I'd rather do it later when we have as much info as possible about UFAs and possibly the new CBA.

Doesn't the Price arbitration guarantee us a 2nd window to buy out Gomez? I don't want to buy him out but if the Habs do, I'd rather do it later when we have as much info as possible about UFAs and possibly the new CBA.

Yes

I would not buy him out unless there is another amnesty claus, it just doesn't make sense to do so. If there is no amnesty period, then a trip to the minors (if the cap rule for such moves doesn't change in the new CBA) is the only logical move. As it stands, a buyout would still have a rather large cap hit on the books for 2 more seasons, then 2 more at a lesser rate, and still cost the habs a ton of money.

New GM, new coach. IMO, Gomez will get another chance to prove himself. Why? Because the alternatives are costly. There won't be much patience though. If he doesn't produce, fast, he will be sent to Hamilton.

• Upvote 1

New GM, new coach. IMO, Gomez will get another chance to prove himself. Why? Because the alternatives are costly. There won't be much patience though. If he doesn't produce, fast, he will be sent to Hamilton.

Sadly I agree with you JC. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Geoff Molson does not have Mark Cuban type money. We're at least two years into going over all the ramifications on this website. We all know that each option is costly, some more than others. You can picture it anyway. Gomez at that team golf event in September, saying all the right things. How he trained hard over the summer, is delighted to be back in the city, loves the direction the team has taken.
  • Upvote 1

Sadly I agree with you JC. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Geoff Molson does not have Mark Cuban type money. We're at least two years into going over all the ramifications on this website. We all know that each option is costly, some more than others. You can picture it anyway. Gomez at that team golf event in September, saying all the right things. How he trained hard over the summer, is delighted to be back in the city, loves the direction the team has taken.

God help us all, say it ain't so.

You touch a good point. We have to think like an owner, and that's probably how Geoff Molson looks at the situation.

Therrien is known as a hard-ass who preaches dull, defensive hockey. Whatever Gomer Pyle is saying, however hard he's working out, the last three years have made it pretty clear that he is not interested in that kind of system. I can understand Molson refusing to eat the contract, but at some point it gets ridiculous, and we're past that point IMHO.

Therrien is known as a hard-ass who preaches dull, defensive hockey. Whatever Gomer Pyle is saying, however hard he's working out, the last three years have made it pretty clear that he is not interested in that kind of system. I can understand Molson refusing to eat the contract, but at some point it gets ridiculous, and we're past that point IMHO.

What you said about Therrien scares me more than another season of Gomez.

Then you have to recall that Cucumber is incredibly biased when talking about Therrien.

On passive defensive systems, see, for instance: http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/06/05/will-therriens-second-time-be-a-charm/ I didn't make this stuff up.

That being said, for all my ragging on Therrien, I think we will be much better next season. Therrien's flaws - assuming that he has not learned a lot from his past failures and become a much better coach - are likely only to become an issue once players start to forget the horrors of last season and lose their zest for a fresh start.

It's not something he's going to deny.

Ha ha, well, it depends what you mean by 'biased.' As a fan, you can have an irrational liking or disliking for a player/coach/GM, or whatever - or you can have a reasonably well-founded liking or disliking of them. The first, I would call 'bias.' The second I would see as a defensible opinion. For instance, I thought a lot of the loathing of Jacques Martin was rooted in a focus on irrelevant factors, like his lack of personal charisma. Sheer irrational 'bias.' But some people offered more thoughtful criticisms (of his bench management, whatever), which I might have disagreed with but I thought more in the way of 'defensible opinion.'

I'm definitely a Therrien skeptic, based on his track record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. (I am also extremely leery of his apparent hate-on for Subban - if we end up trading PK because Therrien can't work with him, that will be an inexcusable sin). That said, I always add the following qualifiers: first, Therrien might be older and wiser and better; and second, I think we'll have a bounce back year no matter who is coaching us, just because everyone will be so relieved and energized to have a fresh start after last season. So hopefully this is not just fuming unreasoning dislike, but defensible skepticism.

Fundamentally, none of us really knows how Therrien will perform. We hope we get the guy who coached Pittsburgh as all those stars rounded into form and went to the Finals (assuming he was more than a cheerleader for a stacked squad); we fear getting the guy whose antics helped to ruin the Carolina series and who was so disastrous that Pittsburgh management felt they had no choice but to fire him with three years left on his contract.

Anyway: I didn't invent that 'boring defensive systems' stuff. That's Therrien. Personally, I don't care about that - I endorse any system that helps a team win - but there's good reason to doubt that he is the man to get Gomer 'I wanna play freewheeling hockey' Pyle back on track. Hence my remark in this thread.

OK, carry on!

Ha ha, well, it depends what you mean by 'biased.' As a fan, you can have an irrational liking or disliking for a player/coach/GM, or whatever - or you can have a reasonably well-founded liking or disliking of them. The first, I would call 'bias.' The second I would see as a defensible opinion. For instance, I thought a lot of the loathing of Jacques Martin was rooted in a focus on irrelevant factors, like his lack of personal charisma. Sheer irrational 'bias.' But some people offered more thoughtful criticisms (of his bench management, whatever), which I might have disagreed with but I thought more in the way of 'defensible opinion.'

I'm definitely a Therrien skeptic, based on his track record of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. (I am also extremely leery of his apparent hate-on for Subban - if we end up trading PK because Therrien can't work with him, that will be an inexcusable sin). That said, I always add the following qualifiers: first, Therrien might be older and wiser and better; and second, I think we'll have a bounce back year no matter who is coaching us, just because everyone will be so relieved and energized to have a fresh start after last season. So hopefully this is not just fuming unreasoning dislike, but defensible skepticism.

Fundamentally, none of us really knows how Therrien will perform. We hope we get the guy who coached Pittsburgh as all those stars rounded into form and went to the Finals (assuming he was more than a cheerleader for a stacked squad); we fear getting the guy whose antics helped to ruin the Carolina series and who was so disastrous that Pittsburgh management felt they had no choice but to fire him with three years left on his contract.

Anyway: I didn't invent that 'boring defensive systems' stuff. That's Therrien. Personally, I don't care about that - I endorse any system that helps a team win - but there's good reason to doubt that he is the man to get Gomer 'I wanna play freewheeling hockey' Pyle back on track. Hence my remark in this thread.

OK, carry on!

Your skepticism is well justified! However, Therrien deserves a chance. Also, if he doesn't meet expectations, and turns out to not be a good fit for the team, I am pretty sure Bergevin will see it and not hesitate to replace him! I'm sure the new GM would rather admit he made a mistake choosing a coach and correcting it instead of not admitting it and letting an unfit coach stay behind the bench. But IMO, the work he did with Pittsburgh is remarkable, granted he had a bunch of star players! If he can do right what he did with the Penguins, to at least get this team back into the playoffs, then he will have done more than enough. Once we actually reach the playoffs, anything is possible (see 2010, no one expected us to go defeat both Pittsburgh and Washington). I am really looking forward to the next season!