Draft Day, Rounds Two through Seven

dlbalr

Nystrom is the first Habs pick I didn't have ranked in top 80

What do you know of him???

Shawinigan hero Anton Zlobin could be a steal this late for Pittsburgh

Nystrom from Elite Prospects: A speedy and technically skilled player with very good vision. Moves the puck impressively in high speed. Also a hardworking player.

There are two MoDo watchers from HFBoards who had nothing but praise for the pick.

"I'm a MODO Hockey fan and Erik Nyström is another awesome pick by Habs. He's skilled, great skater and works really, really hard."

We add Dalton Thrower. I say that there is nothing wrong with that pick!

I really like this pick, Thrower is a rock em sock em type, not overly huge but very physical, and well named, as he likes to Throw em every so often too.

A great day to be a Habs fan. I have not felt this optimistic about the future since about 2008. We have elite-quality youth on the team in PK, Price, and Patches; we have excellent prospects 2-3 years away in Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu, etc.; we have a legitimate #1 centreman prospect in Galy; and we have a bundle of promising guys throughout the system beyond these. There's still a ton of work to be done, but I think it's safe to say that we have repaired the damage from Gainey's sell-off of picks in 2008-09 and Gauthier's endless dumping of 2nd rounders. A competitive future awaits.

Name: Brady Vail

Number: 97

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 190

Birthday: March 11, 1994

Hometown: Palm City, FLA, USA

Position: Centre

Shot: Left

NHL Status: Eligible in 2012

Favourite Car: Honda Ridgeline

Favourite Food: Chicken

Favourite NHL Player: Sidney Crosby

Favourite Movie: Change Up

Favourite Website: facebook.com

Favourite Band: Loca People

Favourite NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings

Best Player Ever Faced: Kerby Rychel

Ha ha - there's a thread over on HF entitled - "The Habs are clear cut winners at the 2012 draft". Fans of every stripe are pining in agreement. They're either congradulatory or jealous. YES!

I love how people chime in how you won't know for another five years. Well of course not, but it's not 2017. Based on scouting BPA, Montreal had an excellent draft. Same goes to Buffalo.

I think Detroit had a very quiet but strong draft.

Ha ha - there's a thread over on HF entitled - "The Habs are clear cut winners at the 2012 draft". Fans of every stripe are pining in agreement. They're either congradulatory or jealous. YES!

I had thought Sabres looked good with Grigorenko/Girgensons; but Galchenyuk/Collberg are a pretty sweet duo. Then the 2 WHLers, with a good sized 36 goal scoring rookie of year canditate and a 55 point d-man, just awesome.

Collberg and Bozon are like Gallagher and have the scoring thing down pretty well.

5 CHLers and 4 Left Wingers should help fill prospect pool.

Bergevin/Timmins et al deserve very high marks indeed!

Couldnt believe when 1 super name after the other popped up on board; Collberg-Thrower-Bozon were all in many 1st rounds of mock drafts.

People back east are really gonna like Bozon-Thrower. And i am sure Darren Dietz is quite happy to have his d-partner doning a Hab jersey. We will see them next spring in Saskatoon for Memorial cup and maybe World Juniors as well?

I was at work all day reading Habs Inside/Out comments by Commandant and others. I kept seeing highly ranked guys falling in our laps. It made my day and I can't wait to read about how we were the biggest winners this weekend. I don't think it could have went better!

Thanks Commandant for your write-ups.. I learned alot about this years draft class because of you and your site. What an amazing draft Timmons! Bravo!

I love how people chime in how you won't know for another five years. Well of course not, but it's not 2017. Based on scouting BPA, Montreal had an excellent draft. Same goes to Buffalo.

I think Detroit had a very quiet but strong draft.

I have to believe that Detroit runs a control list and comes in and swoops down on picks missed, several rounds latter. That is one of the ways they get good picks despite having lousy position in most years.

Just going back through our lists, and putting in what team drafted each guy.

I gotta say Dallas is #2 in my ranks of best drafts.

Radek Faksa was a great pick.

So, time for the overly premature grades (because it's always fun to do). I'll do one for each pick and then one for the draft in general.

Galchenyuk - A (easy to say A+ but this was the obvious pick for a while now)

Collberg - A (I'm not sure he's a budding superstar like some fans on other sites are making him out to be but he should be a quality NHL'er with good offensive upside)

Thrower - A+ (first round talent, second round size equals a steal)

Bozon - A+ (natural scorers are hard to come by especially in the 3rd round)

Vail - A- (a safer pick but projects as a strong bottom six forward which is always useful for a team)

Hudon - B (I like his offence but his size is a little worrisome - still a worthwhile gamble that also helps fulfill the token local 'requirement')

Nystrom - C (granted, I know little about him so I'll give the standard average-ish grade)

Overall - A There's lots to like about this draft class. There is some impressive offensive upside with Galchenyuk, Collberg, and Bozon while Thrower looks to be a d-man who can be pencilled into a roster for the future. I like Vail as a bottom six guy down the road (I think his offence will improve this coming year) while Hudon is an interesting wildcard. I think a goalie would've been ideal in Nystrom's spot (especially with Whitney on the board), that's my lone disappointment but when factoring in everything else, these last 24 hours should be a big stepping stone to this team getting back in the right direction.