Draft Day, Rounds Two through Seven

dlbalr

Radek Faksa was a great pick.

Dallas also had 6 guys who we did full profiles on (5 full ranks plus 1 honourable mention).

So they get second only cause montreal has both Galchenyuk and Collberg ahead of Faksa, and 4 guys in my top 35.

So every year as part of my draft prep, I sit down and make a mini list of who I think the Habs could take with each selection (all the way to the 7th round which is always a doozy to predict). If I'm lucky, I pick a player that gets drafted by the Habs once every three or four years (the last one I had right was Leblanc, before that it was Corey Locke and I guessed the wrong round). This was my list (2 players per pick plus one wildcard):

3rd overall: Galchenyuk (3rd - MTL), Murray (2nd - CBJ)

33rd overall: Thrower (51st - MTL), Bozon (64th - MTL)

51st overall: Nieves (59th - NYR), Pelech (65th - NYI)

64th overall: Hudon (122nd - MTL), Vail (94th - MTL)

94th overall: Whitney (191st - CHI), K. Roy (97th - ANA)

122nd overall: Khaira (63rd - EDM), Stolarz (45th - PHI)

154th overall: Vermin (N/D), Rauter (N/D)

Wildcard: Mallet (57th - VAN)

Of the 15 on my list, 5 were picked by the Habs which is beyond unprecedented for me (although only 1 was in the right spot). That was part of the reason I was particularly happy with these selections. Interestingly enough, I was way off on both guys I had in the 122 spot. Both played in lesser leagues, the BCHL and NAHL respectively, I thought they'd have slipped through the cracks but evidently not. Also trying to predict college-bound guys hurt me as the Habs didn't pick any, file that one for the memory banks when certain media folk talk about a certain stereotype we've all heard before. Something tells me I'm not going to have a list like that again...

• Upvote 1

So every year as part of my draft prep, I sit down and make a mini list of who I think the Habs could take with each selection (all the way to the 7th round which is always a doozy to predict). If I'm lucky, I pick a player that gets drafted by the Habs once every three or four years (the last one I had right was Leblanc, before that it was Corey Locke and I guessed the wrong round). This was my list (2 players per pick plus one wildcard):

3rd overall: Galchenyuk (3rd - MTL), Murray (2nd - CBJ)

33rd overall: Thrower (51st - MTL), Bozon (64th - MTL)

51st overall: Nieves (59th - NYR), Pelech (65th - NYI)

64th overall: Hudon (122nd - MTL), Vail (94th - MTL)

94th overall: Whitney (191st - CHI), K. Roy (97th - ANA)

122nd overall: Khaira (63rd - EDM), Stolarz (45th - PHI)

154th overall: Vermin (N/D), Rauter (N/D)

Wildcard: Mallet (57th - VAN)

Of the 15 on my list, 5 were picked by the Habs which is beyond unprecedented for me (although only 1 was in the right spot). That was part of the reason I was particularly happy with these selections. Interestingly enough, I was way off on both guys I had in the 122 spot. Both played in lesser leagues, the BCHL and NAHL respectively, I thought they'd have slipped through the cracks but evidently not. Also trying to predict college-bound guys hurt me as the Habs didn't pick any, file that one for the memory banks when certain media folk talk about a certain stereotype we've all heard before. Something tells me I'm not going to have a list like that again...

Wow, dlbair that really is very impressive. Good work!

I (like everyone else) am very pleased and surprised at how well the Habs made out. I heard Timmons really liked Nystrom whom he saw when he went to scout Samuelsson.

In terms of when the Swedish guys could possibly come over (yes, the PTA is in place with Sweden but the Habs might want to wait for their contracts to be up anyway), both Collberg and Nystrom (who I think could be a CHL Import Draft candidate) have one year left on their deals.

In terms of when the Swedish guys could possibly come over (yes, the PTA is in place with Sweden but the Habs might want to wait for their contracts to be up anyway), both Collberg and Nystrom (who I think could be a CHL Import Draft candidate) have one year left on their deals.

Yes Collberg already said he will stay in Sweeden for a least 1 more season.

I know it doesn't mean anything yet, but sure is nice to hear the rave reviews from the draft already. Seems like we have a chance of repeating the 07 draft year, at least.

NHL Draft Weekend Winners and Losers

http://lastwordonspo...ers-and-losers/

I really cant see how the Habs could of done any better and still cant believe all the guys were available.

But Gainey-Nieuwendyk also took a big step to rebuild Dallas and grabbed 1/2 dozen super looking kids.

I thought Flames did well with picks they had (and made a smart trade with Buff, even if McQuire didnt think so).

Shocked the OIlers skipped on Collberg/Pokka/Finn/Bystrom for Moroz? A bottom 6 at best grinder? I liked Moroz but not till 3rd round at earliest. Similar to Wilson to Caps, waste of early pick (but they are so deep, likely wont hurt them at all).

Darn Leafs got a super skating d-man in Reilly and Finn is supposedly a solid d-man as well.

Is Hudon of Archambault/Masse/Dumont/Lefebvre/Fortier quality (ECHL)? Or is he finally one who will make the grade?

I really cant see how the Habs could of done any better and still cant believe all the guys were available.

But Gainey-Nieuwendyk also took a big step to rebuild Dallas and grabbed 1/2 dozen super looking kids.

I thought Flames did well with picks they had (and made a smart trade with Buff, even if McQuire didnt think so).

Shocked the OIlers skipped on Collberg/Pokka/Finn/Bystrom for Moroz? A bottom 6 at best grinder? I liked Moroz but not till 3rd round at earliest. Similar to Wilson to Caps, waste of early pick (but they are so deep, likely wont hurt them at all).

Darn Leafs got a super skating d-man in Reilly and Finn is supposedly a solid d-man as well.

Is Hudon of Archambault/Masse/Dumont/Lefebvre/Fortier quality (ECHL)? Or is he finally one who will make the grade?

Anybody else thinking that Tambilini is a joke? I mean, his team finishes last to second last every year for 3 years running now, He makes no deals to improve or add the pieces that he needs. How long can ownership there stand by him? He just stands there grinning like an idiot, I'm sure Edmonton fans would like something other than the first overall pick at the draft to cheer about?

Both Collberg and Nystrom have been invited to Team Sweden's summer camp for players eligible for the WJC's.

Good to hear, is Pribyl too old for Czech U-20s? he is 19 and turns 20 in December.

Didn't like the trade when it happened; but they made up with it in the later picks, so they didn't earn a loser award.

Moroz really surprised me, i thought finn, thrower or bystrom would be the guy there. If they wanted a bigger forward, why not Kerdiles? or Lukas Sutter if they wanted the toughness?

I ranked him in the third round... so we don't know.... he's got a chance to make the grade, but is still a long shot. Even 3rd rounders are like less than 10% chance to play 100 NHL games based on recent history... I think he's great value where we got him though.

Good to hear, is Pribyl too old for Czech U-20s? he is 19 and turns 20 in December.

Yup, too old. Need to be born January 1st or later.

=-=========================

http://www.bluejacke...heir-picks.html

If true, and Portzline is a good reporter.

Garth Snow is a moron for offering this package.

Scott Howson is the bigger moron for turning it down.

Fire them both.

If True, Columbus is the big loser this weekend... the giant loser.

It's been 3 days now, but I'm still happy when thinking about the draft.

Our D depth is plenty. Our forward depth is much stronger and now we can draft by need next year for forwards instead of just BPA and our only focus is now more goalie prospects in the system. Though signing Aaron Dell would go a long way.

Our D depth is plenty. Our forward depth is much stronger and now we can draft by need next year for forwards instead of just BPA and our only focus is now more goalie prospects in the system. Though signing Aaron Dell would go a long way.

BPA seems the smartest route (why would you skip a better player to get one who fits, but is not as good a prospect?), and makes the most sense every year, that will not likely change, cept he may target a goalie and trade up/down to get one next year.

I totally agree that signing Dell would be a bonus.

I think Bergevin did say they tried to trade later pick(s) this year, but didnt work out.