July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

Today I did the top UFA defencemen available.

http://lastwordonspo...top-defencemen/

Allen only worthwhile one (Suter too expensive)

Garrison is one hit wonder looking to cash in, Souray was a pylon 10 years ago, Salo is made of glass and rest aint got enough grit;

need more a Hannan/Aucoin/Sarich/Salvador type.

Allen only worthwhile one (Suter too expensive)

Garrison is one hit wonder looking to cash in, Souray was a pylon 10 years ago, Salo is made of glass and rest aint got enough grit;

need more a Hannan/Aucoin/Sarich/Salvador type.

Sarich has fallen off the map. He's not a top 4 dman, barely a 3rd pairing guy last year. He's declining rapidly.

Aucoin is 39 years old

Hannan played 20 minutes, but just barely... was -10, and is just holding on.

Salvador I like best of the bunch, but he's 36 too.

I think Allen is the way to go.

Garrison is more than a one hit wonder, his 2011 season was good for a first full year in the NHL. He's perfect for us (tough in his own end, shoots hard in the other) but you may be right on asking for too much money.

Sarich has fallen off the map. He's not a top 4 dman, barely a 3rd pairing guy last year. He's declining rapidly.

Aucoin is 39 years old

Hannan played 20 minutes, but just barely... was -10, and is just holding on.

Salvador I like best of the bunch, but he's 36 too.

I think Allen is the way to go.

Garrison is more than a one hit wonder, his 2011 season was good for a first full year in the NHL. He's perfect for us (tough in his own end, shoots hard in the other) but you may be right on asking for too much money.

I am not of opinion the gritty d-man need to be top 4 at all, you know a top 4 tough guy will cost big bucks and want term and will most likely only need for 1 year, so wouldnt go overboard. If you forget your need for 20minute/top 4, it opens up for more options.

I just think we have so many 3rd pairing guys, and in my opinion a major major weakness of this team was that we only had 2 top 4 Dmen (Gorges and Subban) for most of last season.

Markov coming back helps, but it doesn't solve all the problems.

Someone forgot to tell Calgary that. He gets 2 years, $2 mil per year.

I think Brent Sutter knew... he only used him 16 minutes per game.

Somewhere the memo never got to Jay Feaster.

Another Dumb contract by the Flames.

If you are looking for one year and out guys, like Whitney or Ryan Smythe , I think Sourray is a fit. I just not sure that that is the type of guy we should be looking for. I am just saying that because of the small pool of actual value.

I just think we have so many 3rd pairing guys, and in my opinion a major major weakness of this team was that we only had 2 top 4 Dmen (Gorges and Subban) for most of last season.

Markov coming back helps, but it doesn't solve all the problems.

I dont see it so bleak, especially not double major weakness! Again i say the 45 goals from $30,000,000 worth of top players last year was killer. Need to put puck in net more.

Markov Subban Gorges and Yemelin are a fine top 4, i know i know you will cry Yemelin cant play 20 minutes and is due for sophmore slump; but i would be willing to test that theory, as he is older, strictly defensive d-man and "Battle tested".

And just have a cheap Hannan/Aucoin play with Kaberle. Better than committing $3-3.5/for several years to Allen maybe? But Allen still seems a nice fit.

Do you think Bergevin will look to trade with the Hawks? Rumour (i am starting) is that we will go after Kane/Hjalmarsson?

I agree with Markov Gorges, Emelin Subban pairings.

They are in trouble after that. Kaberle is what he is, for him to be effective he will need a good partner preferably a defensive D-man.

You don't want Diaz or Weber paired with him.

Emelin is young and learning, but even then... here is a guy who averaged 17 minutes a game last year, and had the worst plus/minus on the entire team at -18.

i'm not comfortable anointing him top 4 with no backup plan.

Emelin is young and learning, but even then... here is a guy who averaged 17 minutes a game last year, and had the worst plus/minus on the entire team at -18.

A wise man. Factor in Markov's propensity for catastrophic injury as well as his possible decline, and there's no way we should feel comfortable with Markov/Subban/Emelin/Gorges as our top-4.

A wise man. Factor in Markov's propensity for catastrophic injury as well as his possible decline, and there's no way we should feel comfortable with Markov/Subban/Emelin/Gorges as our top-4.

You guys and your negativity (you may be correct to worry?)! I say, Yemelin's rookie +/- and Markov's knee issue are history and like i said, I aint quite as worried and dont see as that big a deal.

Just me with rose-coloured glasses on.

Now, upgrading the offense up front and find a Mara to fill in for a year, is what needs doing. Oh and deal with Gomer.

See how she goes on sunday.

That's why we need to acquire Yandle stat. I think Emelin needs to improve his skating but definitely showed improvement throughout last season dealing with the speed of the NHL. Although, asking top 4 minutes from him is asking a bit too much.

Looking at the available d-me,, I think it is highly unlikely we get a top 4 guy better than our existing options via free agency. The best we can hope for is a reliable 3rd pairing guy who can occasionally step up into top 4. Thats not what we all want to hear, but I think its the reality. Again, we could go the trade route for that, but it will cost us.

Fascinating graphic from the Financial Post (courtesy of JT's excellent blog: http://habsloyalist....6/tax-tilt.html):

http://business.fina...ily-tax-havens/

This really underscores the fundamental competititve disadvantage the Habs face when trying to seduce UFAs. A contract like Moen's, for instance, actually pays him around $200 000 less annually than he'd make in Florida. And the bigger the contract, the bigger the tax hit. It's simply bad business to sign in Montreal unless the Habs are prepared to 'overpay' you relative to low-tax markets. A Parise-like deal yields a differential of over $700 000 per year. Imagine that over the life of (say) a 10-year contract - you're talking $7 million in foregone revenue for the player.

JT's proposed solution - adjusting the salary cap to compensate for taxes - is of course perfectly sensible. But, rather like the excellent idea that fines and traffic tickets should be charged as a % of income rather than a flat rate, or the equally sensible idea of drug legalization, it won't go anywhere. Too bad.

Hannan would be a lot like when we added Mara and I'd be in support of it if we cannot get Rozscival or Allen.

Well, the Mara parallel fails to inspire confidence... :crazy:

I haven't paid much attention to Hannan. It's the 20 minutes per night that caught my attention. This would seem a better option, than, say, Rome - assuming he gives 20 effective minutes and was not overtaxed on a crappy Flames team.

But I agree with your prioritization. Allen first, Rozscival second, maybe a Hannan as Plan C.

Well, the Mara parallel fails to inspire confidence... :crazy:

I liked Mara. A more rugged man has never played for the Canadiens. He was just unfortunately injury prone in his time with us.

If we add Hannan we're adding a sixth D-man. Allen and Rozscival would be adding a top four.

If you are looking for one year and out guys, like Whitney or Ryan Smythe , I think Sourray is a fit. I just not sure that that is the type of guy we should be looking for. I am just saying that because of the small pool of actual value.

The Wizard is the guy I've been hoping for since February. Him or Jagr. Problem is I don't see either of them coming to a last place team.