UFA Day discussion thread

dlbalr

In just under two hours from now, the floodgates will open as the free agency period begins. Obviously there should be a thread for each Hab signing but for the others plus rumours and whatnot can be discussed here.

There wasn't much action yesterday beyond Paul Gaustad signing a 4 year, $13 million deal which makes me feel a lot better about Moen's $1.85 M, that's for sure.

does this mean that nokielienen (sp) is our 4th line C? Cause I was really hoping on an upgrade in that position.

did Kelly resign in Boston last year? or maybe a Konopka to platoon him with Noki?

I want Parise. I'll settle for Whitney/Lats - preferably both - to shore up the LW position. And, absolutely, Allen or Rozsival to raise out D-corps to another level. That'd be an excellent UFA period to my mind.

I want Parise. I'll settle for Whitney/Lats - preferably both - to shore up the LW position. And, absolutely, Allen or Rozsival to raise out D-corps to another level. That'd be an excellent UFA period to my mind.

100% My thoughts.

maybe I just got too used to mediocrity getting passed over, to really expect a true superstar to want to sign here

Forget Parise. Why would he sign in a pressure-packed market on a 28th overall team with a coach who is not among the most universally loved, especially as we will not be able to outbid other teams for him the way we did with Cammy? But I see no reason why we can't attract Whitney - just offer him more $$/term than anyone else - and we're surely Lats's first choice.

Ryan Smyth re-signs in Edmonton, 2 years, $2.25 cap hit. Also, it appears Parise is looking for $24M in the first calendar year of the deal (up to and including a July 1st bonus next year). Yeesh. Jordan Staal signs the 10 year, $60 M deal he rejected from the Pens with the 'Canes.

Ryan Smyth re-signs in Edmonton, 2 years, $2.25 cap hit. Also, it appears Parise is looking for $24M in the first calendar year of the deal (up to and including a July 1st bonus next year). Yeesh. Jordan Staal signs the 10 year, $60 M deal he rejected from the Pens with the 'Canes.

Holy crap :shocked: Much as I'd love to have Parise, I couldn't blame Molson from saying 'non merci' to that.

nobody is worth that much.....nobody...unless he is getting 2 mil/per for the rest of his 10 year deal

Trade Bourque, Kaberle & Weber sign Jagr, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Souray & Bouillion..

:halm:

nobody is worth that much.....nobody...unless he is getting 2 mil/per for the rest of his 10 year deal

I suppose it all depends how the deal is structured. In one sense, if he gets a cap hit of (say) $8 mil per season, does it really matter whether you pay him some ludicrous sum up front?

We should also keep in mind how the economy of the cap has worked up to now. Deals that look horrible often end up being quite reasonable as the cap bloats. Whether this will remain true under a new CBA is unclear, but I suspect that it will.

All that being said, I have absolutely no problem with an NHL owner passing on that. $24 mil in a single year for a single player is a pretty big pill to swallow.

Whitney, is he 40 years old? I hope Montreal stays away from the older players who have played their best hockey a long time ago.

Whitney got 77 points this year. There is no reason to assume he can't get 50+. Sign him on a 2-year deal as a stopgap solution at LW.

I suppose it all depends how the deal is structured. In one sense, if he gets a cap hit of (say) $8 mil per season, does it really matter whether you pay him some ludicrous sum up front?

We should also keep in mind how the economy of the cap has worked up to now. Deals that look horrible often end up being quite reasonable as the cap bloats. Whether this will remain true under a new CBA is unclear, but I suspect that it will.

All that being said, I have absolutely no problem with an NHL owner passing on that. $24 mil in a single year for a single player is a pretty big pill to swallow.

ya i get all that just saying hes being pretty ballzy for demanding that much.....but i guess supply and demand will dictate how much he gets

"Trade Bourque, Kaberle & Weber sign Jagr, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Souray & Bouillion." Now why would Montreal really do this trade? I believe the new GM said he wanted to change the culture, not to go back to the old culture. I would rather see the GM be creative and be a risk taker with new faces.

The Monster signs in Detroit. 2 Years / $3M

Pat Brisson confirms that the Habs have shown interest in Lats.

The Monster signs in Detroit. 2 Years / $3M

Pat Brisson confirms that the Habs have shown interest in Lats.

I have a bad feeling about signing Lats...i just dont think it will work, not with Therrin here

Jagr is realistic, but I don't expect the Habs to land a Parise or Sutter. Frankly, the contracts are getting way over the top vs a players actual value. Hockey is reminding me of Baseball before Moneyball, where teams dropped so much money on a "superstar' versus actually paying based on real performance.

Lats is a "meh' to me, but Jagr might be fun to watch with Pleks. It won't be a cup winning team, but maybe a funner to watch team.

Edmonton is going to be scary good in a year or two if they add a few leaders to that pile of young talent.

"Trade Bourque, Kaberle & Weber sign Jagr, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Souray & Bouillion." Now why would Montreal really do this trade? I believe the new GM said he wanted to change the culture, not to go back to the old culture. I would rather see the GM be creative and be a risk taker with new faces.

:halm:

I wasn't being serious. Although, I would like to see Jagr with Plekanec. AK is as good as any UFA forward who would want to come here, imo.

No AK, thanks.

Lavoie says Latendresse is signed with Ottawa pending a medical

Interesting.