Brandon Prust signs, 4 years, $10 million

HabsTrick450

Wow!

I was wanting that guy all along. Someone was going to pay him that amount. Not too bad IMO.

Finally the habs will be tough to play against. I think they will actually win some fights also.

4th line Armstrong Prust White / Noke

It has been very apparent for years this team was way too soft and easy to play against. I for one was tired of watching Peice getting run, players being rag dolled and habs players just skating away.

That won't happening anymore. Prust can throw them, more of a light heavy weight.

If they can sign a Jagr to play with Pleks that will be a decent line up. they are still a little light on scoring

Pacs DD Cole

Bourque Pleks Jagr / Hudler Patetuea

Moen Eller Gionta

Armstrong Prust White Noke

Not to bad. Much better than last year.

Not a clue on the defense

It would be an overpayment but man, Bergevin has made the bottom six a serious priority with Moen, Armstrong, Nokia and Prust signed.

I don't consider these guys bottom six, on a good team, these are bottom three's. How many 4th liners do we need?????? This is on top of already having White.

Report was that Prust was looking for $2.5m/yr. if this is the case, I'm pretty pissed off that we are following the strategy of the last 20 years of having an over abundance of 4th liners.

Darche, Blunden, Geffrion, etc

Or Armstrong, Prust, Moen?

I read this elsewhere but i couldn't have said it better.

Lite beer vs beer. You make the call .

• Upvote 1

Bergevin addressed a big need by & got the best guy IMO. Money is high but it is July 1 after all. And, lower line players usually make more of a pay increase splash on UFA day (Based on the percentage increase over what they're worth) than do the elites like - Eg. Parise

Habs29's negativity is interesting. Certainly, if we don't add any higher-order talent - if MB is done - these moves will not suffice to make us a strong team, and in that sense he's right to be disappointed. On the other hand, these three guys do represent significant upgrades to the third (Armstrong) and fourth (Prust) lines, while Bouillon brings a blood and guts grittiness on a nightly basis to the D-corps. They will make the Habs gutsier and tougher to play against night after night. And I for one have been frustrated for some time with the Habs' willingness to throw total spare parts onto the 3rd-4th lines year after year. People lose sight of the fact that you need quality bottom-6ers to win in this league. Bergeron clearly understands that.

So, these are good moves on their own terms. But we absolutely need more if we really want to be competitive. Top-4 D, top-6 LW remain musts.

EDIT: importantly, Armstrong and Bouillon are short-term deals. We're not locking ourselves into dead weight. I can see griping that we haven't done more, but none of the moves today damage the club at all going forward regardless of what happens to the cap.

Looks like Montreal did notice the effectiveness of hard working third and fourth line players for the teams that made it to the last four and last two standing in the Playoffs. There remains the trade option for filling our needs on Offense and well as Defense. I am sure there is more to come but I am not unhappy with the moves so far.

Looks like Montreal did notice the effectiveness of hard working third and fourth line players for the teams that made it to the last four and last two standing in the Playoffs. There remains the trade option for filling our needs on Offense and well as Defense. I am sure there is more to come but I am not unhappy with the moves so far.

\

Right. As long as we don't try to kid ourselves that these moves address the most important holes in our lineup, it's been a good day.

Exactly. I'm convinced there's a trade soon in the works because we have too many forwards and defencemen right now, but having Moen and Prust on the LW for the next three to four seasons gives me a lot of confidence going forward.

Prust won't be a fourth liner either. Talk is that he'll get good minutes (likely third line/top PK).

I hate having a cheap shot artist like Armstrong on our team and I'll take white over him any day. At his salary, I'd much rather have white then Prust. $2.5m for a guy playing less then 12 minutes is not smart when you've already got Kaberle and gomez's cap hits- hopefully there is an amnesty that allows us to dump Gomez.

I'd rather have tried to bring back Ak46 at a reduced salary for the third line and dump Bourque.

If I remember correctly Prust was benched for games in the playoffs??

I agree that we need more stability and willingness to commit to the bottom 6, that's why I had actually suggested trying to sign White long term last year. I'd much rather develop and retain guys we develop long term, then develop and give them away for nothing like we did with Laps, Higgins and Ak46.

Habs29's negativity is interesting. Certainly, if we don't add any higher-order talent - if MB is done - these moves will not suffice to make us a strong team, and in that sense he's right to be disappointed. On the other hand, these three guys do represent significant upgrades to the third (Armstrong) and fourth (Prust) lines, while Bouillon brings a blood and guts grittiness on a nightly basis to the D-corps. They will make the Habs gutsier and tougher to play against night after night. And I for one have been frustrated for some time with the Habs' willingness to throw total spare parts onto the 3rd-4th lines year after year. People lose sight of the fact that you need quality bottom-6ers to win in this league. Bergeron clearly understands that.

So, these are good moves on their own terms. But we absolutely need more if we really want to be competitive. Top-4 D, top-6 LW remain musts.

EDIT: importantly, Armstrong and Bouillon are short-term deals. We're not locking ourselves into dead weight. I can see griping that we haven't done more, but none of the moves today damage the club at all going forward regardless of what happens to the cap.