Rick Nash, hang your head in shame

hankhab

So Rick Nash has narrowed down the list of teams he wants to play for, and not surprisingly, they are all top ranked American teams. Here is my take on this whole situation. First of all, Nash should not even be seeking a trade. He just signed a long term, multimillion dollar contract to play for the Jackets. He was willing to commit to playing for them 2 years ago, but now, the poor baby is tired of Columbus, and wants to go to a team that is already a contender. Well, he should have mentioned that before he signed a long term commitment to his own team. Second of all, Nash doesn't want to go anywhere in Canada. Is it taxes? Lets all get real on this point. Yes, taxes are much higher here in Canada. However, when you are earning the kind of money he is, and you know that you already have more money than you could possibly spend in your whole life, that doesn't matter a row of beans. Unless Rick studies his bank account daily, he will never miss the difference that the increased taxes will make. Besides, our higher taxes allow for such things as a real public health care system (which took care of you while you were a kid growing up here) and a social safety net for people who do not make thousands of dollars a minute in their line of work, and who could easily fall on hard times in a moments notice. So lets do away with that whole argument. The real reason he doesn't want to play in Canada is that here, fans care and recognize hockey players as heroes. Nash is afraid that people may recognize him in his daily life perhaps? Maybe he might get asked for autographs at the airport? Tough shit, I work with the public in a small community, everyone recognizes me and I'm constantly being asked questions about my job when I'm not working, so why can't you? Maybe he's afraid that in a Canadian city, people will care enough to expect results from their team, and players, and there will be pressure on him to play well. Again, this shows, in my mind, a total lack of character. Nash has been praised for his willingness to represent Canada on the international stage, but he is not willing to live and (excuse the term for how he earns a living) work here. Shame on you you selfish, greedy goofball, if I had my way you would never represent this country again.

I hate when people talk like this. Yes, I am a proud Canadian, but I don't believe there is anything wrong with players wanting to play wherever they like. Often people forget that yes, hockey players are people too, with lives and families outside of hockey. I always enjoy envisioning what it would be like when people who spout stuff like this if they were offered similar choices.

I love living in Canada, but if someone offered me a pay raise with more security to work somewhere I've never been to, why would I not consider it? Canada is not the center of the universe. Deal with it.

He wants to win a cup. Most players do haha, the only Canadian team I'd call a contender is Vancouver. So that rules out the rest of Canada.

I was kinda surprised the Canucks weren't on his list as they are a top team, but maybe he was scared of getting the Lu treatment by the fans there. Which I'd understand, living in Vancouver I would not want to be Lu.

So really you can only make a case about why he doesn't want to play in Vancouver.

I respect Hankhabs's passion, but personally I couldn't give a sh*t where Nash wants to play, unless it implicates the Habs in some way. I'll confess, though, that I *do* find it enervating when francophone Quebecers show zero interest in playing for the Habs - that just seems like a totally soulless stance to me - so I'm not completely at odds with the sort of argument he makes here. But it's one thing to play in your home province, another to play in any old Canadian market just because it's Canadian. BC is further from Montreal than Florida, for Pete's sake.

Nash earned a no trade clause and thus has the right to dictate who he gets traded to. If Columbus didn't want to be limited them they never should have agreed to it. he's a professional and has every right to move to the team/city that he feels will be a good fit for both him and his family. Get over yourself.

It's always been speculated that Nash doesn't want to play in a major hockey crazy market. That right there pretty much rules out Canada and opens up almost anywhere in the US. That's nothing new and nothing against Canada.

Yes, he committed to Columbus a few years ago, but that was a team coming off a recent playoff berth and lots of optimism. He was signing on to be a key part of an up and coming team. Since then, management has proven to be completely incompetent and is now in a full out rebuild. Part of a star signing with a team is that the team is committed to winning, which Columbus certainly is not.

Also, when you're making as much money as he is, the taxes really aren't that much different. I just laugh every time I hear people bring up that argument. Using Ohio as an example, Nash is paying 35% federal taxes and 6% state taxes, for a total of 41%. If were to play in, say, Ontario, he'd be paying 29% federal and 11% provinicial, so 40%.

Nash earned a no trade clause and thus has the right to dictate who he gets traded to. If Columbus didn't want to be limited them they never should have agreed to it. he's a professional and has every right to move to the team/city that he feels will be a good fit for both him and his family. Get over yourself.

Exactly.

Plus pretending that hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes don't matter is just silliness.

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/06/29/graphic-hockey-havens-not-necessarily-tax-havens/

I apologize for my aggressive words earlier (tis a family site) but there's nothing that gets me angry more than hockey jingoism. The National Hockey League is not a battle between Canada vs. USA that European players are just so happen allowed to participate in. It has nothing to do with where the player is from. If you're a Montreal Canadiens fan from Tulsa, Oklahoma you are no less of a fan than someone from Montreal, Quebec. If you are a Canadian hockey player there should be no pressure for you to play in Canada because again, this is not Quebec Provincial Team vs. the Massachusetts State Team playing for the North American Championship. It's foolish and it's these attitudes that ruin the sport. They need to fade away along with parents who put too much pressure on their kids hockey careers.

• Upvote 2

I apologize for my aggressive words earlier (tis a family site) but there's nothing that gets me angry more than hockey jingoism. The National Hockey League is not a battle between Canada vs. USA that European players are just so happen allowed to participate in. It has nothing to do with where the player is from. If you're a Montreal Canadiens fan from Tulsa, Oklahoma you are no less of a fan than someone from Montreal, Quebec. If you are a Canadian hockey player there should be no pressure for you to play in Canada because again, this is not Quebec Provincial Team vs. the Massachusetts State Team playing for the North American Championship. It's foolish and it's these attitudes that ruin the sport. They need to fade away along with parents who put too much pressure on their kids hockey careers.

What does this have to do with what I said? I am being critical of people who grow up here, enjoy the benefits of this country, then want to give nothing back afterwards. He wants to represent Canada in international play, yet he doesn't want to live and work here. Every Canadian in the NHL can't play here, but I find it refreshing when someone welcomes the limelight and welcomes the chance to play in a Canadian city. Nothing to do with canada vs USA, or Europe, etc. I also feel its wrong to sign a long term deal one year, then decide you want out the next. He knew all about the organization he was with, if he didn't want to stay, he should never have signed the deal. As for apologizing for your post, I take no offense from opinions which differ from my own. If I did, I would never post on here.

I hate when people talk like this. Yes, I am a proud Canadian, but I don't believe there is anything wrong with players wanting to play wherever they like. Often people forget that yes, hockey players are people too, with lives and families outside of hockey. I always enjoy envisioning what it would be like when people who spout stuff like this if they were offered similar choices.

I love living in Canada, but if someone offered me a pay raise with more security to work somewhere I've never been to, why would I not consider it? Canada is not the center of the universe. Deal with it.

A pay raise has nothing to do with this situation, and neither does job security. He has his contract, he'll get his money. It has nothing to do with the center of the universe. If Nash lived up to the commitment he made when he signed with Columbus, we wouldnt have this discussion. If he decided 2 years ago that he wanted a change and then signed with whoever he wanted, then thats his right. I do have a problem with Canadians who refuse to even consider playing in Canada, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Two years ago Columbus was a promising young team coming off its first ever playoff appearance.

In the last two years Scott Howson has proven that he has screwed that all up and is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't blame Nash for wanting to leave. The team hasn't really lived up to what they promised him either, to continue to build into a contender.

Columbus has always been inept. Nash couldn't figure this out?

When he signed the contract they were a team that made the playoffs for the first time, and had a Calder Trophy winning 21 year old goalie in net.

Most analysts thought things were looking up for them.

Even with a down year, people picked them to be good this year with Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski added. So yeah, I think Nash bought the hype.

I thought they were going to be better as well. Mason looked like the real deal but he's turning into Raycroft.

I wrote a long post on how they would surprise people this season as well.

After a night to sleep on it, perhaps banning Nash from representing Canada might be a bit harsh, but I still don't like his attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

It's always been speculated that Nash doesn't want to play in a major hockey crazy market. That right there pretty much rules out Canada and opens up almost anywhere in the US. That's nothing new and nothing against Canada.

Not that much now hein ?

New York will be a team to be reckoned with, and the fact that they still have the cap space to possibly sign Doan shows they have learned, after years of terrible cap space management, how to deal in the NHL cap world. Good for them. I still stand by my criticism of Nash, though.

New York will be a team to be reckoned with, and the fact that they still have the cap space to possibly sign Doan shows they have learned, after years of terrible cap space management, how to deal in the NHL cap world. Good for them. I still stand by my criticism of Nash, though.

Seen this picture before, a group of all stars, does not mean a good team.

Seen this picture before, a group of all stars, does not mean a good team.

I really think that they will have major depth issues next season if someone goes down.

Just a thought here. Columbus does have a solid d. That is a fact. Offensively looking at there roster you see this.

Centers- Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Derick Brassard

Wingers- Nick Foligno, RJ Umberger, Vinny Prospal

Who are all 20 goal or 50 point guys. That is a lot of depth.

Their D is solid with Wiz, Johnson, underrated Tyutin and Nikitin + Aucoin and Erixon (Maybe Murray)

Plus sophomore guys who we don't know how they will do in their second years with... Cam Akinson (W), Ryan Johnson ©, and John Moore (D) who could have solid years as well.

If one of Mason/Brobo finds game they will not be the walkover they have been in the past i wouldn't think. Before teams had to focus Nash alone... now with a bit of depth they Clb could benefit! Who knows :D!

I also kinda really want them to do well for some reason :P

While New York obviously has a sick first line, and an all star goalie, they have some major depth issues. They have a potential all-star defense corps in the making, but those guys are pretty young. If you are gunna go for 1-line superstar line, I feel like you need a strong, reliable D to support it.

Depth issues? Stepan and Kreider are both excellent players and they signed Jeff Halpern who is still pretty reliable.

However, I agree. The Rangers seem to be missing something and I can't put my finger on what it is.

I'm sure we will find out once the season gets going...

Lund will probs get injured and screw everything up for em :P