Shane Doan, is he serious, and do we want him?

hankhab

Apparently Shane Doan has let it be known the Habs, along with a couple of other Canadian teams, are amongst the teams he would consider playing for. First of all, I would like to applaud Mr Doan for his willingness to play in the country in which he was raised (see my post/rant on Nash in the NHL talk section). I hope he is actually serious about this, and not just throwing names around to increase his worth. The next question is, do we want him? Internet rumors are that the Habs have expressed interest, but many of the same rumor mongers had us the clear favorites in the Jagr sweepstakes, and then we hear from Bergevin that the habs were not interested in Jagr, so you cannot always believe what you hear when it comes to such things. The question for us fans is do we want him, and at what cost? He is a big bodied, offensively gifted winger who plays with a lot of grit, and boy, would he look good with Pleks and Gionta, in my mind, our forward group would be probably top 10 in the whole league with him here. He wouldn't cost us anything in terms of prospects, as he would be a free agent signing. Would we be Stanley Cup contenders with him in our lineup? If so, I think we go for it. If not, does it make sense to sign him? It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally, I highly doubt that we'll see him here, just seems we're had similar discussions about many players like this, and it never seems to work out.

Doen would be a nice addition to any team... off the top of my head I would have said yeah obviously go for it! But it completely depends on term and money, he is 35 hasn't scored more then 22 goals in three years (18 in one of those three) and even though Phoenix played well this year... Doen's production dropped by ten points. His playoff stats were a little bit lower then his season ones as well (normal for playoffs to see a drop of course... unless you play in philly).

He'll be looking for money, really selling the leadership and character side... but he might only have a season left as a top six guy. If we sign him to one year... thats a great move that he would never agree to. If we sign him much longer, which we would have to I'd think, we are going to have cap issues overpaying a guy we thought would be top six.

So I think that, since we apparently "waiting for some contracts to pass" - Beregevin, we might need to question the need to sign Doen.

I don't think a 20 goal guy, as much as I like him as a person/player, would put us into real contention (unless Bourque and Gionta score 30)

Doen would be a nice addition to any team... off the top of my head I would have said yeah obviously go for it! But it completely depends on term and money, he is 35 hasn't scored more then 22 goals in three years (18 in one of those three) and even though Phoenix played well this year... Doen's production dropped by ten points. His playoff stats were a little bit lower then his season ones as well (normal for playoffs to see a drop of course... unless you play in philly).

He'll be looking for money, really selling the leadership and character side... but he might only have a season left as a top six guy. If we sign him to one year... thats a great move that he would never agree to. If we sign him much longer, which we would have to I'd think, we are going to have cap issues overpaying a guy we thought would be top six.

So I think that, since we apparently "waiting for some contracts to pass" - Beregevin, we might need to question the need to sign Doen.

I don't think a 20 goal guy, as much as I like him as a person/player, would put us into real contention (unless Bourque and Gionta score 30)

I think he has a few years yet, I see him in the 20-25 goal range. I would sign him 3 years, no question, but not at top level money. I'd offer him what we're paying Cole, for sure.
  • Upvote 1

I'm all for it in principle, but let's face facts - he will be overpaid and get too long a term. Hankhab is probably right that we're looking at a Cole-style contract, and 3 years is probably about what he'll get unless some club goes off the deep end (as is apt to happen). It's a situation where the player will bring enormous value to our club this season but diminishing returns thereafter, and could potentially become a millstone in a cap system as the youth matures and grows more expensive.

Conversely, if he does become a problem, a 36-year-old Doan is a classic candidate for a deadline day move. Even overpaid and declining, we might be able to ship him out to some hot-to-trot contender next season or the year thereafter.

So, tough call. All things considered, though, I think I'd prefer us to take a flyer on cheap short-term deals for guys like Wolski or Mueller - genuine 'patchwork' signings that at least give us the hope of a potentially effective top-6, rather than risk getting bogged down with yet another dubious geezer contract. (This is why I wanted us to pursue Whintey or Jagr - short-term deals for high-quality patchups. Oh well, too late now).

If we can get him for 1/2 years, then absoluetly. If longer, I wouldn't mind, but for no more than 4mil per year.

There is no way he signs for less than $5 million per

I'm pretty convinced he'll goto San Jose, who will probably trade Ryan Clowe afterwards to make room for him. Clowe is a big body, soon to be UFA who is good for an average of 20 goals and many teams will be happy to add him to their top six. No I did not mention his name so Montreal can trade for him.

Of course you get Doan if you can get him. 5 mill is about right. He will want 3 years probably.

However my guess is the only thing the habs have going for them in regards to Doan is him being related to Price. i don't think that's enough to get him.

Right now, he's serious about staying in Phoenix. As the Glendale petition deadline is now set at the 16th (I'm not sure if the city and the two old guys gathering the signatures are in agreement there or not), Doan is holding off on anything until then.

As for term, I think it will take 4 years to get him. He's the last of his kind on the market (a legit top-6 powerforward), has a very good reputation around the league, and has had steady production over his career. While most teams will only be comfortable offering 2 or 3 years, someone will add that extra year to get him.

If Phoenix is done, I can't see Doan picking the habs, when he can pretty much pick wherever he wants to go. I think we'd have to offer him a $35M five year deal for us to have any shot at him and there is no way I'd want to hand out that kind of $ and terms at Doan - despite thinking he is exactly what we need in the top 6.

Would be awesome.

Ultimate leader/warrior.

Carey's cousin.

If/when his production decline, you know he'll still have an impact both on and off the ice.

Then send Gomez to Calgary and Gio with his brother in NJ (they have to replace Parise?). Gainey's era over.

Why not Quebec?

An ol time cowboy from out west, looking for a championship ring, dosent relocate near end of career and sign to a 28th place team on east coast. Not a chance in hell and i say better odds of trading for Crosby.

Apparently someone in the East offered 7.5M x 4 years. I can't source that at all...probably pure BS from HIO, but .... unless gomez is centering gallagher and Leblanc....i don't see that as feasible (or logical) to meet that for a soon to be 36 year old 2nd line power forward.

An ol time cowboy from out west, looking for a championship ring, dosent relocate near end of career and sign to a 28th place team on east coast. Not a chance in hell and i say better odds of trading for Crosby.

we have the festival western de St-Tite !

• Upvote 1

Apparently someone in the East offered 7.5M x 4 years. I can't source that at all...probably pure BS from HIO, but .... unless gomez is centering gallagher and Leblanc....i don't see that as feasible (or logical) to meet that for a soon to be 36 year old 2nd line power forward.

Maybe BS, but you can see it happening, a team like Islanders or Florida, someone needing to get to the cap floor, might be an easy way to get there. Doan still has a few good years of hockey left in him, but at that price, he is at least 3 mill over what I think he's worth. I'd stay way clear.

At this stage, do you think he'd settle for big cash in a bottom five team like the Isles? Yeah yeah we were bottom 3 this year, but in my opinion that was an anomaly year.

Nope, I'd think he'd like to sign with a team which he sees as having a chance at playoff success.