Shane Doan, is he serious, and do we want him?

hankhab

CC

There was interest in Tendernesse as we apparently offered the same contract he signed for in Ott. There was interest in jagr as well but were not willing to pay that extra year for a player who started strong and they fizzled in the 2nd half and when it comes to Whitney my guess is that they didn't want another 5 foot nothing player.

many teams are apparently offering 2-3 years in the $5-6 million range and right now Doan is younger than Whitney and Jagr and provides more than just points. He is a leader.

If they can get him in the 2-3 years in the $5 million range then I personally think it is worth doing.

CC

There was interest in Tendernesse as we apparently offered the same contract he signed for in Ott. There was interest in jagr as well but were not willing to pay that extra year for a player who started strong and they fizzled in the 2nd half and when it comes to Whitney my guess is that they didn't want another 5 foot nothing player.

many teams are apparently offering 2-3 years in the $5-6 million range and right now Doan is younger than Whitney and Jagr and provides more than just points. He is a leader.

If they can get him in the 2-3 years in the $5 million range then I personally think it is worth doing.

If we sign Doan for three years or less, then I've got no beef with that and agree that it's a better move than Jagr, Whitney or Fats. I just don't see it happening, because there is ALWAYS some jackass GM ready to offer ridiculous salary or ridiculous term or both.

EDIT: if we offered Latendresse exactly what Ottawa offered, then we actually offered less, due to the taxes.

If we sign Doan for three years or less, then I've got no beef with that and agree that it's a better move than Jagr, Whitney or Fats. I just don't see it happening, because there is ALWAYS some jackass GM ready to offer ridiculous salary or ridiculous term or both.

EDIT: if we offered Latendresse exactly what Ottawa offered, then we actually offered less, due to the taxes.

if he lives in Gatineau would he pay Ontario or Quebec taxes?

If we're really interested in Doan, who will command a hefty salary and a term of (I'd guess) at least three years, then it begs the question of why we showed apparently zero interest in Whitney, Jagr or even Latendresse, all of whom represented far less risky commitments financially and in terms of contract length, yet could have done a good job of filling the roster left by Cammalleri.

MB can't have it both ways. Either he wants to leave that top-6 roster slot vacant for the kids/Bourque, or he behaved negligently in failing to try to fill it with one of the three low-risk options listed above. This, to me, is one of these real managerial head-scratchers, kinda like the Goat's refusal to even have preliminary, informal contract talks with Wiz.

I don't think its that much of a head scratcher.

It merely says that Bergevin puts far more faith in Doan and all he brings to the table, than those guys. We're talking a guy who is 5 years younger, and who brings leadership, grit, physical play, character, and dedication to the table as well. Those are things that were the guys you mention could not match. Yes they might have some of the attributes, but none of the others bring the whole package doan does.

It merely says that Bergevin puts far more faith in Doan and all he brings to the table, than those guys. We're talking a guy who is 5 years younger, and who brings leadership, grit, physical play, character, and dedication to the table as well. Those are things that were the guys you mention could not match. Yes they might have some of the attributes, but none of the others bring the whole package doan does.

Fair enough. Part of the issue is that I'm thinking in terms of a short-term patchup solution until a young player can step in. But once you inch into a 3-year deal or more at $5 mil or higher, you're not talking patch-up any more, you're talking about an addition to your core. Doan makes no sense to me as a patch-up option. But perhaps MB is looking at our young guys and projecting roster probabilities 2-3 years down the line and thinking we need more than a patch-up job. In which case this starts to make a lot more sense.

I agree, Doan seems more in line with the attributes MB likes in a player. And, if the guy is actually interested in playing in here, the least you can do is meet with him.

Of all the players listed, I think Doan is the best. Jagr may have a higher production, but Doan has those intangibles and leadership qualities. He's also more of a power forward, which would be a compliment to Pacioretty and Cole.

Of all the players listed, I think Doan is the best. Jagr may have a higher production, but Doan has those intangibles and leadership qualities. He's also more of a power forward, which would be a compliment to Pacioretty and Cole.

He's also 4-5 years younger

Just to be clear, I totally agree that Doan is a better player than Jagr at this stage. The difference is that Jagr signed a one year deal. Doan would represent a substantial term commitment to a player entering his decline. If we have young players coming up for whom we project a top-6 spot, then Jagr would have been the smarter signing. That's what I mean about 'patchwork' signings - they don't leave you on the hook for more than a year or two.

I wanted Jagr only because he was one of my favourite players growing up.

Shane Doan would be good but he's a pure right winger and we'd be having to either play one of our pure right wingers on the left side or not putting our best offence in the top six.

There is honestly no good natural left wingers on the market aside from Semin so we're better off sticking with what we have. If we do get Doan great but I'm not going to be let down if he doesn't.

How long would you have to drive from Montreal to get to a farm large enough for Someone to ride his horses? This sounds silly, but if it is closer than the other teams, he may consider it. He has a place in Arizona where he can go riding and live his country lifestyle. Quality of life outside of work may come into play. Otherwise he would have to keep his Arizona place and his horses and such.

I'm not totally convinced NYR would be in the mix. The Nash trade changes a few things. Although the cash on the contracts exchanged almost add up equal, and NYR gave up 2.5 roster players for 1, having Nash's contract at that price and term might make it a considerable challenge to sign their young crop of up and comers. They are thriving on all these ELC gems coming into the woodwork. McDonough, Krieder, Hagelin, Girardi, Stall, Del Zotto , Stepan and Callahan and a few others will need contracts while they are sitting on Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Lunqvist contracts which are all north (or pretty close to) of 7 mil. Ok well Gaborik and Lunqvist will need to be re-signed around then too, but you'd expect they'd ask for same or more money.

I think with the ELC guys playing like top 4 D's and top 6 F's, they won't be able to sustain another 5-7 mil guys on the books until '16-17.

Sather is one crafty GM, but i can't see him sustaining all that talent in the lineup under the cap. There's the small chance too that the new CBA will prevent you from burying players in the AHL - so add Redden's 6.5m to that mix....although i don't know how much term is left on his contract.

Gionta/Gomez to the Devils for Clarkson and sign Doan with the $ we save. Doan playing RW with Pleks and Clarkson on LW. Would give us 2 sets of power forwards on our top lines capable of putting up 25+ goals and punishing the D

Gionta/Gomez to the Devils for Clarkson and sign Doan with the $ we save. Doan playing RW with Pleks and Clarkson on LW. Would give us 2 sets of power forwards on our top lines capable of putting up 25+ goals and punishing the D

It will never happen.

Isn't New Jersey nearly bankrupt? Why would they do such a thing? Fact is, we can easily fit Doan under the cap if we want (well, depends on if he's reasonable in salary demands), just means demoting Gomez, which may happen eventually anyway.

Isn't New Jersey nearly bankrupt? Why would they do such a thing? Fact is, we can easily fit Doan under the cap if we want (well, depends on if he's reasonable in salary demands), just means demoting Gomez, which may happen eventually anyway.

Jersey had the $ to sign Parise, Zach chose the Wild. If you look at the salary #s they'd take on $10.5MM in 2013 & $9.5MM in 2014 and ship out $2.67MM on Clarkson who's a UFA at years end anyways so pretty much the same as they offered Zach without the term commitment. We'd basically sell Gionts at a bit of a loss to package off Scotty. Gomez & Gionta back together in the system where they had their best years and were fan favourites might soften the blow of Parise's loss both with the fans and on the scoresheet. I still don't believe Gomez forgot how to play, just Montreal wasn't/isn't a fit - he's not an 80 point guy but 60 should be within reach. If MB/Molson plan on burying Gomez in the minors of course we can fit Doan in, I just get the feeling they're not going to do it, Shane will want 4 years at $5MM minimum if not $6MM.

Jersey had the $ to sign Parise, Zach chose the Wild. If you look at the salary #s they'd take on $10.5MM in 2013 & $9.5MM in 2014 and ship out $2.67MM on Clarkson who's a UFA at years end anyways so pretty much the same as they offered Zach without the term commitment. We'd basically sell Gionts at a bit of a loss to package off Scotty. Gomez & Gionta back together in the system where they had their best years and were fan favourites might soften the blow of Parise's loss both with the fans and on the scoresheet. I still don't believe Gomez forgot how to play, just Montreal wasn't/isn't a fit - he's not an 80 point guy but 60 should be within reach. If MB/Molson plan on burying Gomez in the minors of course we can fit Doan in, I just get the feeling they're not going to do it, Shane will want 4 years at $5MM minimum if not $6MM.

Ownership was willing to bite the financial bullet to keep their franchise player around, that doesn't mean that they're going to take all the money earmarked for Parise and go elsewhere with it. If they were, they'd likely aim a little higher than a player like Gomez who they might get for free in 2.5 months via waivers. Gionta I could see moved if the circumstances presented themselves but not both.

The Devils hate Gomez. Uncle Lou was pissed when he left and while for many players that would be water under the bridge and you might forgive him, Scott Gomez is NOT playing well enough for that to happen.

Trading Gomez to Jersey is a pipe dream

So that essentially leaves Clarkson for Gionta. Why does Jersey trade us the bigger, stronger, tougher, meaner, cheaper, younger player who scored 30 goals last season (Gio hasnt got 30 in 6 years)

If Gomez goes anywhere it will be Phoenix. They haven't hit the cap floor and seem to do well with those older guys. Would also save the NHL some money paying $5.5 and $4.5 respectively but with a player who's cap is $7.4. Actually saves them.