Ahem... It's 2012 London Olympics Time...

JoeLassister

The Mr. Bean bit was one of the dumbest things I've ever watched. How did something that bad make it into an otherwise decent show?

Here's a two weeks of taking 2 hours off work everyday to watch more soccer, volleyball, beach volleyball, swimming, water polo, and other random events!

Michael Phelps is gonna kill it!

It wasn't his best day today, barely even qualifying for the 400m IM final before finishing out of the medals.

It wasn't the greatest day for Canada either. Ryder Hesjedal finished 63rd in the 250km road race, no made a final in the swimming events today (although a Canadian record was broken), and even the men's 8 in rowing struggled badly. Canada nearly pulled off a big upset in women's basketball before choking late; at least the women's soccer team and the men's beach volleyball team were victorious.

For anyone looking for a TV schedule for what to watch (I know I was earlier today), http://www.ctvolympi...uide/index.html

The Mr. Bean bit was one of the dumbest things I've ever watched. How did something that bad make it into an otherwise decent show?

Here's a two weeks of taking 2 hours off work everyday to watch more soccer, volleyball, beach volleyball, swimming, water polo, and other random events!

Mr Bean was great! The main problem was the blatant historical inaccuracy, black people did not own mills in the 19th century...

The Tsonga vs Raonic game was just sick. Too bad Tsonga won it 6-3, 3-6, 25-23 !!!

This is the new Olympic record for the longest set in a game. The previous one was 16-14, easily beaten today.

Could the ROC pinch in a bit for medals ? Québec got them all so far.

Bunch of Bronze.... meh.... gold or nothing.

Also 2102 in the title? Are these the Olympics from the future?

haha thanks... never noticed the mistake.

Wow. Just wow. USA vs. Canada soccer game was absolutely EPIC!

Didn't see any highlight, but people on my Facebook claim that the free kick that lead to the penalty was pure bullshit...

What happened on the play ?

Didn't see any highlight, but people on my Facebook claim that the free kick that lead to the penalty was pure bullshit...

What happened on the play ?

Well, there were two consecutive calls. First, the goalie got called for time wasting, so the US was awarded an indirect free kick in the box. I have to think the goalie had been warned already about it. Then on the resulting play, the US played the ball over for a shot and the ball hit two different Canadians in the arm. Both contacts were the type that would normally get called outside the box, but probably not get called for a PK. I think the fact that it ended up going off of two arms had something to do with the ref actually making the call. Overall, I thought the officiating was quite weak. Both teams got away with quite a bit throughout the game. Tancredi for Canada in particular played an extremely rough game and should have gotten a 2nd yellow a number of times.

Well, there were two consecutive calls. First, the goalie got called for time wasting, so the US was awarded an indirect free kick in the box. I have to think the goalie had been warned already about it. Then on the resulting play, the US played the ball over for a shot and the ball hit two different Canadians in the arm. Both contacts were the type that would normally get called outside the box, but probably not get called for a PK. I think the fact that it ended up going off of two arms had something to do with the ref actually making the call. Overall, I thought the officiating was quite weak. Both teams got away with quite a bit throughout the game. Tancredi for Canada in particular played an extremely rough game and should have gotten a 2nd yellow a number of times.

I talked with some friends and they told me about the call on the goalie. That was what they disliked the most. Something you don't see often in a game.

The refereeing was in the favour of the USA, Abby Wambach was the referee essentially. Especially as she was in the referee's ear counting the seconds the ball was held in the box. Though it isn't a surprise the referee was on the USA's side. Bigger teams get decisions in their favour, its a sad fact about football.

I talked with some friends and they told me about the call on the goalie. That was what they disliked the most. Something you don't see often in a game.

Yeah. I've seen it called on goal kicks, but never for a goalie just holding the ball. I think that was the first time I've seen an indirect free kick since I played in grade school, haha.

The refereeing was in the favour of the USA, Abby Wambach was the referee essentially. Especially as she was in the referee's ear counting the seconds the ball was held in the box. Though it isn't a surprise the referee was on the USA's side. Bigger teams get decisions in their favour, its a sad fact about football.

The USA obviously got the "big" questionable calls, but there was poor officiating both ways all night long. Fouls, goal kicks, etc. I remember one Canadian on a US corner grabbed a US player's jersey so badly you could see her bra in the front. 120+ minutes of soccer that was quite physical and only 2 total yellow cards? Ridiculous.

Yeah. I've seen it called on goal kicks, but never for a goalie just holding the ball. I think that was the first time I've seen an indirect free kick since I played in grade school, haha.

The USA obviously got the "big" questionable calls, but there was poor officiating both ways all night long. Fouls, goal kicks, etc. I remember one Canadian on a US corner grabbed a US player's jersey so badly you could see her bra in the front. 120+ minutes of soccer that was quite physical and only 2 total yellow cards? Ridiculous.

Yeah. Even non-affiliated supporters called this reffing pure crap. Pretty sad in a big game like that.

Yeah. Even non-affiliated supporters called this reffing pure crap. Pretty sad in a big game like that.

Just watched a clip and found out Tancredi was playing even dirtier than I thought. To heck with a second yellow, she should have gotten straight red. She got away with quickly stomping on the face of a US player on the ground. I also finally took the time to take a good look at the time wasting call. The goalie caught the ball and went to the ground. She was back up after 3 seconds, which is when I would expect the ref to start counting. Then it was another 8 seconds before she went to kick the ball. The goalie even admitted she was warned at half time about time wasting. As for Wambach being in the ref's ear every time the goalie was holding the ball, that's just smart, heads up gamesmanship.

Nope, no warning was given. Even the US coach said that in all her years (and she's been around a long time) she's never seen that call made without a warning given.

Let's also not forget that the Ref missed a blatant handball on the US in their box about 20 minutes earlier. I see it as at least 5 very poor calls:

1. missed handball on the US in their own box which would've given Canada a penalty kick

2. Delay of game call on the Cdn keeper without any prior warning being given

3. Decision on the delay of game call to give the US a free kick in the box rather than just give the goalie a yellow card (the Ref had the option to do either)

4. Hand ball call on Canada in the box (admittedly this was probably the toughest call to make, but wouldn't have mattered had the previous call not been blown)

5. Play late in the game where the ball clearly went out of bounds past the end line which was then awarded to the US as a corner which set up a very near goal and gave them solid momentum into the final minutes of the game.

This is nothing to take away from the US team. They played excellent clutch soccer but there is no question that the calls were falling mostly in the American's favour.

Nope, no warning was given. Even the US coach said that in all her years (and she's been around a long time) she's never seen that call made without a warning given.

Let's also not forget that the Ref missed a blatant handball on the US in their box about 20 minutes earlier. I see it as at least 5 very poor calls:

1. missed handball on the US in their own box which would've given Canada a penalty kick

2. Delay of game call on the Cdn keeper without any prior warning being given

3. Decision on the delay of game call to give the US a free kick in the box rather than just give the goalie a yellow card (the Ref had the option to do either)

4. Hand ball call on Canada in the box (admittedly this was probably the toughest call to make, but wouldn't have mattered had the previous call not been blown)

5. Play late in the game where the ball clearly went out of bounds past the end line which was then awarded to the US as a corner which set up a very near goal and gave them solid momentum into the final minutes of the game.

This is nothing to take away from the US team. They played excellent clutch soccer but there is no question that the calls were falling mostly in the American's favour.

She admitted herself that she had been warned about time wasting by the assistant referee at halftime. Anyways, you bring all of that up, but how much would the game have been different had the ref caught Tancredi stepping on Lloyd's (I think) face early in the second half while the score was still 1 to 1? Or if she'd been given a 2nd yellow for any one of her repeated hard fouls? I'm not arguing the US didn't benefit from poor officiating, but it certainly wasn't one sided. Both team's got possessions, including a corner or two, they didn't deserve and there were questionable happenings all game long.

She admitted herself that she had been warned about time wasting by the assistant referee at halftime. Anyways, you bring all of that up, but how much would the game have been different had the ref caught Tancredi stepping on Lloyd's (I think) face early in the second half while the score was still 1 to 1? Or if she'd been given a 2nd yellow for any one of her repeated hard fouls? I'm not arguing the US didn't benefit from poor officiating, but it certainly wasn't one sided. Both team's got possessions, including a corner or two, they didn't deserve and there were questionable happenings all game long.

The Canadians actually got booked for challenges the US team didn't get bookings for, some decisions went against the USA, but they were little decisions which didn't affect the outcome of the match, key decisions went in favour of the US but without those decisions, the US would more than likely have not won the game.

Here's the thing.... fouls, yellow cards, etc... lots of those were missed both ways. No doubt about that. But you can say that about nearly every match in the history of soccer.

What you can't do, is find me another match where this 6 second rule was enforced. Where an indirect free kick inside the penalty area was awarded. No one can find it. Not one analyst or journalist ever can recall such a call in a major competition or a big league game. What McLeod was doing was not unusual or different from what Solo was also doing, or from what tons of goalies do every single day. But somehow the ref choose to make this call, to favour a team losing by 1 goal, with 10 minutes left in an olympic semi-final.

RIDICULOUS