Lockout

ForumGhost

Great to see a somewhat fair (seemingly) deal tabled.

From the press bites from some of players lately, i think there will be quite a bit of support to just accept and get the season going, especially the majority, who are of the "lower" salaried players, who would make $1.8/year instead of $2.0.

Brian's outlined the sticking points, but this offer is certainly more fair than anything I expected at this point. It's hard not to get my hopes up.

NIIICE !!!

As noted, I trully believe that the NHL are offering something that is very close to what would be their final offer.

The NHLPA should do the same now or the fan's support will really go on owners side.

Just read about another tidbit, one that would more or less eliminate burying contracts in the minors. The new deal proposes that all NHL salaries (I interpret that as 1-way deals) count regardless of whether they're in the NHL or the minors.

That MUST come with a 1 one time only buyout (with no cap hit) period.

That MUST come with a 1 one time only buyout (with no cap hit) period.

One of the rumblings that have come out in recent hours is that the cap would operate at the $70.2 M it was set at before the lockout for this season only. With that in there, that may not mean that one is required as in theory, that would give teams a full year to wiggle their way down to the new number. Or, there could be a bargain buyout of sorts, such as where the player receives his standard 2/3 but only 50% counts against the cap. That way it's enough to entice some teams to go that route while still providing some sort of penalty which is what I'm sure teams that aren't at the cap are hoping for.

Other tidbits that have come out:

- Arbitration would move from after 4 years to 5 years

- Top 10 earning teams would contribute up to 50% of the revenue sharing pool (so $10 M per team)

- League is willing to go to third party arbitration for appeals on suspensions (currently Bettman is who overseas appeals)

Just read about another tidbit, one that would more or less eliminate burying contracts in the minors. The new deal proposes that all NHL salaries (I interpret that as 1-way deals) count regardless of whether they're in the NHL or the minors.

there is talk that there is a soft cap involved that will allow teams to trade salary. This is where the PA should take the deal. It changes everything. Even with shorter contracts, it means all of that money not being spent by Phoenix, Columbus and Florida can start getting spent and by big market teams (i.e. teams players want to play for).

It may just be cash is tradeable, not cap space.

Brian did you read anywhere that they wanted to bring the American league salaries under the cap. Fact or fiction? Seems problematic to me.

What is likelyhood the "fair" offer is more just a PR move on owners part and as soon as the players dont accept or ask for changes, the deal is gone and Owners simply say "well we tried" .

Fact

Any AHL salary over 105,000 would count

Or whatever the new threshold for re-entry waivers would become by the time this gets settled...if there are re-entry waivers as the league has proposed that would get scrapped.

Also, if anyone's interested in what all was in the proposal, the NHL released it today: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=643572 This comes after Fehr released a letter which more or less implied that the PA isn't impressed by the offer: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407542

Fact

Any AHL salary over 105,000 would count

Commandant, I have read your article. How much does this add to the cap this year? Secondly I surmise that the disclaimer "these are here for accounting purposes" that we are not adding new faces to the bargaining unit (with full voting privileges)?

Commandant, I have read your article. How much does this add to the cap this year? Secondly I surmise that the disclaimer "these are here for accounting purposes" that we are not adding new faces to the bargaining unit (with full voting privileges)?

I'm not sure for the Habs. All I saw from Cap Geek's twitter was the top 5 teams. Number 1 was Boston at almost 800,000 in additional cap hits.

The big thing is the inability to remove a Scott Gomez or Wade Redden from the cap by sending him to the minors.

The other big thing about accounting purposes and not being added to the players share is that if these guys were reducing the 50% share the players get, then the players would probably start asking for some inclusion of AHL revenues in HRR so the total dollars available to them don't drop. But they NHL avoided that request by not having them count against player's share.

I'm not sure for the Habs. All I saw from Cap Geek's twitter was the top 5 teams. Number 1 was Boston at almost 800,000 in additional cap hits.

The big thing is the inability to remove a Scott Gomez or Wade Redden from the cap by sending him to the minors.

The other big thing about accounting purposes and not being added to the players share is that if these guys were reducing the 50% share the players get, then the players would probably start asking for some inclusion of AHL revenues in HRR so the total dollars available to them don't drop. But they NHL avoided that request by not having them count against player's share.

Yeah, you can see a box opening on the SS Pandora

I also am against burying contracts, should keep dumb GMs (Gainey/Sather/etc) accountable for major errs, And you would think make them think twice, but they cant help themselves when the owner likely says "Go ahead and Sign Em!" and will always be goofy contracts signed no matter what they put in CBA.

I know all want Gomer's gone, as do I, but should have to live with trade/signing.

A good comparison of the offers that have already been outright rejected by the league: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/analysis-why-the-nhl-players-50-50-compromise-may-not-matter/article4622895/

485 million dollar difference over 6 years

80 million per year

2.85 % of current HRR (less in future years) with things eventually reaching 50/50 and staying there long term.

They are posturing to squeeze each other for every last million. A deal will get done.

• 2 weeks later...

485 million dollar difference over 6 years

80 million per year

2.85 % of current HRR (less in future years) with things eventually reaching 50/50 and staying there long term.

They are posturing to squeeze each other for every last million. A deal will get done.

Good to hear... I'm going through withdrawal coupled with instant paralysis when Markov got injured.

I thawed thanks to a posting here. Knees aren't anywhere near ribs usually, are they?

Good to hear... I'm going through withdrawal coupled with instant paralysis when Markov got injured.

I thawed thanks to a posting here. Knees aren't anywhere near ribs usually, are they?

Well it depends on the severity of the injury...