Scouting hires and news

dlbalr

Saw noted that a Eric Crawford (Canucks org before) has taken over Ethan Moreau's spot as Pro-scout west.

And Dave Starman as NCAA scout (said he was an announcer for NHL network, but Commandant noted he is knowledgeable, but just a bad announcer).

• 3 weeks later...

Saw noted that a Eric Crawford (Canucks org before) has taken over Ethan Moreau's spot as Pro-scout west.

And Dave Starman as NCAA scout (said he was an announcer for NHL network, but Commandant noted he is knowledgeable, but just a bad announcer).

Yeah he was like an even worse Pierre McGuire.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm bumping an old thread but this isn't worth starting a new one.  Mark Mowers, who had been with the Habs as a pro scout since 2012, has left the team to join Buffalo in the same capacity.  http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/30/sabres-reshape-scouting-staff-double-digit-changes/

Mowers was an Eastern scout with Montreal and as I look at their list now, they don't have any pro scouts for the East (but three for the West) so it wouldn't be surprising if someone else is hired (or one of the other scouts gets reassigned).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Maybe they'll have him filling the East scouting role.

:rolleyes: We just can't get that dummy out of the foxhole. The good news is that, given the habs's horrible player development, there's probably nowhere to go but up

If anyone is bored and wants a 50 minute interview with Habs new Tampa/Florida (he lives in Florida they noted) scout...likely the highest paid scout in NHL at $2.5m/yr.

Some interesting bits  they say, like...on not pulling Montoya and dealing with Subban.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/an-honest-conversation-with-michel-therrien-1.850981

(*Marinaro to interview Bergevin on TSN690 Monday morning)

Edited by DON
add bit on Bergy

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

Well Don your uncle Mike is back in the foxhole.

I haven't listened to much of interview yet, but he sounds to be in a happy place, foxhole or not.

Like they said, he could easily say...if hadn't fired me, we would of beat the Rangers.

A couple of actual hires have been added to the scouting staff, Dave MacLean (formerly with Arizona/Phoenix since 2007) in the pro scouting department and Matt Turek (formerly with NHL's Central Scouting as an OHL scout) to their amateur staff.

More of the same bullsh!t with this organization; a hire being made based on being a friend of the GM rather than ability.  Our owner is clearly asleep at the wheel, allowing this crap to continue.  Useless Daignault assistant coaching at the NHL level, bumbling Lefebvre doing a poor job of player development at the AHL level, and now Therrien...who clearly has NO CLUE when it comes to young players...is scouting. 

41 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

More of the same bullsh!t with this organization; a hire being made based on being a friend of the GM rather than ability.  Our owner is clearly asleep at the wheel, allowing this crap to continue.  Useless Daignault assistant coaching at the NHL level, bumbling Lefebvre doing a poor job of player development at the AHL level, and now Therrien...who clearly has NO CLUE when it comes to young players...is scouting. 

For the record, it's not a hiring - he's still under contract to the team even though he was fired last season.  This is actually a somewhat common practice to have a recently-fired coach serve as a scout rather than just sit around and do nothing.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For the record, it's not a hiring - he's still under contract to the team even though he was fired last season.  This is actually a somewhat common practice to have a recently-fired coach serve as a scout rather than just sit around and do nothing.

I don't trust Therrien in this role, but there's no denying that scouting is often a dumping ground for organizational hangers-on like him. Heck, the Habs had Doug Harvey doing scouting for them at one point...he didn't even bother keeping written records or filing reports. Then there was Jacques Demers, God love him - a coach I will always worship for his balls-of-steel in the '93 Finals, but an absolutely horrible judge of talent, kept on as scout so Corey wouldn't feel guilty after he got canned. The only problem, I suppose, is if the hanger-on is the team's *only* scout covering a certain region. Then you don't have any more competent voice against which to check what your pity hire tells you.

I wouldn't be surprised if Therrien just covers a few games here and there, more of a token thing than an actual full-time job.  (That's usually how former coaches get deployed; it gives them a chance to schmooze and stay in the thick of things.)  In this day and age, teams won't be relying on what just one scout says.  Bergevin, Dudley, and Carriere all travel to scout a fair bit themselves and there's way more video than there was even 20 years ago so I don't think they'd need to worry about Therrien being the only one to comment on a player/team they have him watching.

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Therrien just covers a few games here and there, more of a token thing than an actual full-time job.  (That's usually how former coaches get deployed; it gives them a chance to schmooze and stay in the thick of things.)

It still makes me nervous.  If he's on the payroll and they want him to earn it to some degree, they should have him doing something as far away from influence on the roster as possible.  Maybe they could set up a new concession at the Bell Center, "Coach Michel's Scotch Bar", and have him serving up drams and anecdotes to fans during games. 

Whatever. Long live the Therrien haters overreacting. As if he's actually going to hurt the team in any way with this small position. If you want to start some gossip, Julien has impressed me far less in his very SHORT stint with us so far than Therrien did. It's been so short however that he does deserve the benefit of the doubt. Then again, the point remains and the purpose of this post was not to slag Julien.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Whatever. Long live the Therrien haters overreacting. As if he's actually going to hurt the team in any way with this small position. If you want to start some gossip, Julien has impressed me far less in his very SHORT stint with us so far than Therrien did. It's been so short however that he does deserve the benefit of the doubt. Then again, the point remains and the purpose of this post was not to slag Julien.

Tangential to the post, of course, but it seems to me that thoughtful discussion of the two coaches' relative merits probably should start here: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/analysis/2017/9/4/16248222/claude-julien-coach-style-system-analysis-canadiens-bruins-stats-defence-carey-price-tuukka-rask

Just in case you or other readers haven't had a look at it. And no, I hold no particular brief with EOTP. It's an interesting piece, that's all.

I wholeheartedly agree that the consensus amongst most people is that Julien is a better coach than Therrien.

With that being said, while others may refute this claim, both Julien and Therrien got relieved of their duties, mainly for the same reason. Both of them wore out their respective welcomes. It's not something that is unique to Therrien. 4-5 years ago, I didn't look forward to facing a team coached by Julien. The past few years, however, I didn't see Boston as a threat too often when we faced them and quite frankly it's not like their squad lacked talent.

As for writing off last season as being largely Therrien's team even after Therrien's departure, I'd have to hope that's not true. Sure, Julien may have not been available in the off season which would have rushed the decision to fire Therrien immediately instead of waiting until the off season all the while not giving Julien enough time to overwhelm

the squad with new systems, but when it comes to the playoffs, the Habs should have been Julien's team.

Finally, Julien's treatment of Galchenyuk has me biased. No coach should play him on the 4th line, and so while I'm all for defending the coach (being a coach of another sport myself) he began his tenure in the doghouse with me. Other than that, I look forward to seeing good things from him.

29 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I wholeheartedly agree that the consensus amongst most people is that Julien is a better coach than Therrien.

With that being said, while others may refute this claim, both Julien and Therrien got relieved of their duties, mainly for the same reason. Both of them wore out their respective welcomes. It's not something that is unique to Therrien. 4-5 years ago, I didn't look forward to facing a team coached by Julien. The past few years, however, I didn't see Boston as a threat too often when we faced them and quite frankly it's not like their squad lacked talent.

As for writing off last season as being largely Therrien's team even after Therrien's departure, I'd have to hope that's not true. Sure, Julien may have not been available in the off season which would have rushed the decision to fire Therrien immediately instead of waiting until the off season all the while not giving Julien enough time to overwhelm

the squad with new systems, but when it comes to the playoffs, the Habs should have been Julien's team.

Finally, Julien's treatment of Galchenyuk has me biased. No coach should play him on the 4th line, and so while I'm all for defending the coach (being a coach of another sport myself) he began his tenure in the doghouse with me. Other than that, I look forward to seeing good things from him.

Well, as I said in another thread, the aforementioned analysis from EOTP offers at least some grounds for rational optimism that a Julien-coached team, with systems implanted from Day One, will be better in both the O- and D-zones than Therrien's. That being said, you are absolutely right that last year's playoff team looked EXACTLY like Therrien's teams: competent but ultimately too mediocre to get 'er done in the crunch. And you are absolutely right that, as far as we can see, the handling of Galy was preposterous. 

The hope has to be that last season did not represent Full Julien. And I can believe that. He had to learn his guys, and probably wasn't going to make big systems changes in the stretch drive of a compressed season. He has to get the benefit of the doubt on that front.

As for wearing out his welcome, that happens to every coach. In a few years CJ will be gone and replaced by another guy who will in turn be gone a few years later. I wouldn't worry about that, or see it as any sort of flaw of Julien's.

Since Therrien isn't really doing anything with his time he wants to keep up with the game and asked MB for a pass to see the florida area games.  He's not an actual scout but Bergevin said he could always ask him for some advice on those teams.  Bergevin made it pretty clear though he's not scouting for the habs.