You're Marc Bergevin - What deal do you offer Subban?

dlbalr

I don't care if it's an overpayment. I care if he's on the roster come game time. That's it. That's all. If he under-achieves, you find another place for him. Otherwise, you stop staring at the cap and start focusing on the ice.

He's worth the money, but it makes no sense to sign him for 4 year, making him a UFA next contract. Sign him for 3 years or 8 years.

Because we will have no more leverage and someone will over pay to get him.

Well, what happened with Markov or Pleks? And all we have to do is lock him up before he goes UFA, which is what any team with any sense does with sure-fire all-stars. We don't have much experience of this in Montreal, but that's because none of the players from Gainey Rebuild 1.0 were no-brainers in the way PK is.

The pessimism is totally unwarranted. Our young core - Price, Patches, and PK - have given us absolutely zero indication that they don't love it here. Price and Patches re-upped long-term after a horrible season filled with negativity. As long as PK doesn't become The Scapegoat (Montreal fans having a chronic need for this, whether it be Beezer or Martin or Gomer or whoever) I see little evidence that he has any desire to be other than a Montreal Canadien.

Think about it. You're PK. Other than New York, what better stage is there for your incredible ego? Where else will you be in as good a position to quarterback the resurgence to glory of a legendary franchise? I think that prospect really turns on the three Ps, to be honest with you.

If it's just money Subban wants, there were offer sheets from Detroit and Philly he could have signed already, if rumours are true. And face it, right now those are better teams with big market attention. All signs for me point to him wanting to be a Hab but not wanting anything short term.

While we're discussing this, I advocate repeated viewings of THIS! :halm::lol:

Too bad it was ALMOST!

While we're discussing this, I advocate repeated viewings of THIS! :halm::lol:

I have yet to pass up an opportunity to rewatch this video. :)

Off topic, of course, but has there been a more awesome hit delivered by a Habs player over (say) the past decade? All I can think of is Kovy's elbow on Tucker, but that - unlike this - was obviously a dirty elbow (and a wonderful elbow it was!). Any other contenders?

Off topic, of course, but has there been a more awesome hit delivered by a Habs player over (say) the past decade? All I can think of is Kovy's elbow on Tucker, but that - unlike this - was obviously a dirty elbow (and a wonderful elbow it was!). Any other contenders?

This one has to be at least a contender :

Well, what happened with Markov or Pleks? And all we have to do is lock him up before he goes UFA, which is what any team with any sense does with sure-fire all-stars. We don't have much experience of this in Montreal, but that's because none of the players from Gainey Rebuild 1.0 were no-brainers in the way PK is.

The pessimism is totally unwarranted. Our young core - Price, Patches, and PK - have given us absolutely zero indication that they don't love it here. Price and Patches re-upped long-term after a horrible season filled with negativity. As long as PK doesn't become The Scapegoat (Montreal fans having a chronic need for this, whether it be Beezer or Martin or Gomer or whoever) I see little evidence that he has any desire to be other than a Montreal Canadien.

Think about it. You're PK. Other than New York, what better stage is there for your incredible ego? Where else will you be in as good a position to quarterback the resurgence to glory of a legendary franchise? I think that prospect really turns on the three Ps, to be honest with you.

I Prefer a bridge contact with a lockup if warranted in two years. The other option is 8 years. 4 years seems to be the worst idea. We are paying too much without getting any free agent years.

I don't think he will be traded. All-around stud young defencemen don't grow on trees; why on earth would we pull another Chelios disaster and ship him out?

Fact is, though, we're all just guessing. We have no idea what the new regime thinks of PK. Are they 'old school' types who mistrust his ego and his antics and who focus only on the negative? Are they 'builder' types who are fully prepared to continue working to smooth his rough edges? Do they think as highly of his talent as we do, or have a different evaluation? We have so little experience with Bergevin, it's all just whistling in the dark.

Pierre MacGuire was on the radio a couple of days ago saying that PK's agency has tons of experience with young star defencemen, will have loads of info on comparables, and with therefore be tough to negotiate with. He predicted it could take a bit of time, without in any way suggesting that PK doesn't want to be here or that the Habs don't want him. Could simply be a question of a challenging business deal.

Does anyone other than myself think that PK may be traded? He does have good value, how much I do not know but value for sure. Just asking.

I thought there could be a slight chance but Bergevin noted just now in his mini-presser (for Gomez) that he will not be dealt.

There still is a big differnce between the two. Subban is easily the #1 or #2 best dman on the team - depending on the health and play of Markov. While Del Zotto's numbers are comparable to Subban he is currently a 3rd pairing dman on the Rangers. I also think Subban has a MUCH higher ceiling.

If we were to compare situations, Subban has the potential to be as valuable as Lidstrom (not saying he is as good or will be as dominant, just stating his importance to the habs), while Del zotto would be a Rafalski type complementary player.

It would seem to me the Del Zotto signing, if Subban and he are comparable, should take some air out of Subban's self worth. Or does it?

Subban is the best on the habs D due to the fact there defense is terrible. The Rangers have a very good defense. Anything more than 5 for Subban is an over payment. I say 5 due to the taxes. He is worth 4-4,5 mill. IMO.

I think Commondant pointed out his numbers are i dentical to Carlson in Washington, who recieved close to 4 mill.

He needs to be sdigned or moved, you can't have this going too long.

Subban is asking too much if he wants more then 5 and a deal to take him to FA. 4.5 for two years is more then fair. It gives him time to show his potential is real, he is maturing into an even better defenseman, and then get the big money. I love the player, but cashing in based on two years is how you end up with bad contracts.

Subban is asking too much if he wants more then 5 and a deal to take him to FA. 4.5 for two years is more then fair. It gives him time to show his potential is real, he is maturing into an even better defenseman, and then get the big money. I love the player, but cashing in based on two years is how you end up with bad contracts.

I tend to agree...I worry that it would be bad for PK's development to give him a massive long-term salary based on his performance so far. You don't want him thinking he's got it made. You want him hungry and willing to keep learning, to keep perfecting his game. I love PK but, considering his ego, there is some danger of the Dion Phaneuf scenario with him: comes up as a beast, makes a big impact, is anointed a sure-fire superstar, then, possibly as a result of the premature praise, stops developing.

Given this season is a bit of a write off for the habs (I bet we don't even make the playoffs), then I would rather Bergeron hold out for the right deal then sign a bad one. We have rfa rights for a reason, we don't need to trade him or give in prematurely.

Given this season is a bit of a write off for the habs (I bet we don't even make the playoffs), then I would rather Bergeron hold out for the right deal then sign a bad one. We have rfa rights for a reason, we don't need to trade him or give in prematurely.

The danger of course is an offer sheet, and if PK gets pissed off he may sign it. MB is going to have to be very careful with this one. I know we would match whatever offer was signed but that can be very expensive as Columbus found out. I hope PK is sincere that he wants to stay in Montreal (and I think he is) and signs a resonable deal that we can live with. The alternative is trading him and i believe there are many potential suitors for that scenario.

I tend to agree...I worry that it would be bad for PK's development to give him a massive long-term salary based on his performance so far. You don't want him thinking he's got it made. You want him hungry and willing to keep learning, to keep perfecting his game. I love PK but, considering his ego, there is some danger of the Dion Phaneuf scenario with him: comes up as a beast, makes a big impact, is anointed a sure-fire superstar, then, possibly as a result of the premature praise, stops developing.

Based on Kypreos, Subban is looking for $5m on a long term contract. If that is true, I'd sign him for the max 8 year term. He will be able to get a lot more than $5m 3 years from now.