Wheeling Nailers/ECHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

My quick count:

3 from Montreal/Hamilton right now since Chaput isn't on the roster (MacAulay, Grassi, Condon); when he's there it'll be 4.

4 from WBS (Sylvester, Rowney, Minella, Manderson. Merth, who was in Wheeling last year, is with WBS as is Mannino. Were those your other two?

correct on montreal-- I included Chaput-- I have both Westlund and McGrath being sent back by W/B but they may be like Cianfrini and already signed by Wheeling?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read on HF Boards that Delmas had been technically recalled by Montreal. Orlando has now sufficient goaltending from their affiliates. Looking for new home?

Yeah, that's all that is. He's not actually getting recalled by Montreal, just re-assigned at some point. The formal recall is required to get him off Orlando's roster.

Yeah, that's all that is. He's not actually getting recalled by Montreal, just re-assigned at some point. The formal recall is required to get him off Orlando's roster.

Yeah I got that part. Just pondering where he might go. Any chance he goes to Wheeling? Westrum is 37 years old.

Yeah I got that part. Just pondering where he might go. Any chance he goes to Wheeling? Westrum is 37 years old.

It depends on what the goalie situation is with WBS - Mannino is up there for now but will be back in Wheeling at some point. I think a CHL loan makes more sense. If I were the Habs, I'd see if I could get Delmas to Brampton, the new expansion team in that league. That way, there's a better chance of him being available if they need to recall a goalie in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the headline...we sign so-and-so but did you buy your road trip tickets yet?

I wonder how this all came about. Chaput signed a two-way AHL/ECHL deal so he must have known the organization had plans for him to go to Wheeling at some point. On the flip side, Cornwall is closer than Wheeling if they ever had to call him up (unless Hamilton quietly released him which is a possibility).

I like the headline...we sign so-and-so but did you buy your road trip tickets yet?

I wonder how this all came about. Chaput signed a two-way AHL/ECHL deal so he must have known the organization had plans for him to go to Wheeling at some point. On the flip side, Cornwall is closer than Wheeling if they ever had to call him up (unless Hamilton quietly released him which is a possibility).

Chaput was on their training camp roster. My guess is that they fooled around too long trying to get an opportunity to put him on their roster. Okay if you got no spot see you?

• 4 weeks later...

Condon's strong starts continues. He picked up a shutout last night and has allowed two or fewer goals in six of his past seven starts. He's now in the top-10 in GAA and top-5 in SV%.

If only we can find a way to get him to Hamilton next year and cut Mayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Condon's new mask:

BbPQpSjIcAAtux3.jpg

BbPQtvyIgAAFw0B.jpg

For anyone wondering, he has taken a hold of the starting job with the Nailers. In 15 GP so far, he has a 10-3-2 record with a 1.96 GAA and .938 SV%. That ranks him tied for 5th in the league in GAA and 3rd in SV%, just a couple of points out of the league lead.

Delmas looks to be the slightly more used half of the goalie duo in Gwinnett but he hasn't fared as well. In 9 GP, he's 3-6 with a 2.78 GAA but a decent .919 SV%.

• 4 weeks later...

Condon got sent back down today with Mayer officially rejoining Hamilton. Drew Schiestel is also joining the Nailers which means the Bulldogs actually have a skater they can recall now. Boy that depth didn't last long...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Condon is starting to show signs that he may be coming out of his midseason slump (two months of 3.00+ GAA and a losing record over that span). He's 4-1 this month and has allowed more than two goals just once. On the year, he's 17-11-4 with a 2.47 GAA, .921 SV%, and 2 SO. All of those are good for top-10 or better in the league.

• 1 month later...

Condon pulls off a shutout in Wheeling's playoff opener. He has stopped 158 of his last 159 shots against. I have to hope someone in management is seeing this and realizes that he needs to be in Hamilton full-time next year; he has been of the ECHL's best goalies all year.

In his 3 games in Hamilton, he had better stats than Mayer & Dubnyk.

So likely Dubnyk will walk in July and Mayer may flip spots with Condon?

In his 3 games in Hamilton, he had better stats than Mayer & Dubnyk.

So likely Dubnyk will walk in July and Mayer may flip spots with Condon?

Dubnyk will be gone for sure and I think Mayer may very well be elsewhere, even though he's under contract. There are rumblings that some NLA teams are inquiring into his availability for next year and given how tight the Habs are likely to be against the 50 limit, I think they'll look for a mutual termination. With Montreal giving Tokarski the deal they did, that should send Mayer the message that he's not moving up any further with the Canadiens so I suspect he'd be amenable to leaving too. That should open up a regular spot for Condon with someone else getting signed to be the 5th stringer in the ECHL.