2012-13 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

With the season underway, it's time for me to stop procrastinating and get this thread going already. The Bulldogs are 1-0 on the year having won in Grand Rapids in a shootout on Saturday. Their home opener is Friday (their team president is targeting 8,500 for attendance) against Toronto while the first televised game (TVA/Sportsnet One) is this coming Saturday, also against the Marlies.

Useful Links:

Bulldogs Website

Schedule/Results

Standings

Roster

Skater Stats

Goalie Stats

Official Twitter Page

Derek Wills' Twitter Page

I know Henry's leadership/experiance cant be replaced by any player in current lineup.

However, dont you think;

Ellis who was a Captain at 17 (i think it was) in Cape Breton, Pateryn was assistant in Michigan, Tinordi, Gallagher, Bournival were all Captains in junior, and Beaulieu supposedly dosent lack confidence, that leadership may not be that big an issue as one might thnk with so many young players?

Even with that (which I'm sure will help to a degree), where's the one to unify them so to speak? Even on an NHL roster, a good chunk of the players have worn letters at some point. Most would agree still that the veteran leadership presence is still needed on those teams and in the AHL, where a lot of guys (especially on this team) haven't been through the grind of a season, I think it's needed even more.

I did a quick look back at past Calder Cup winners before I put the leadership note in the 2nd part of the mailbag which I imagine you're responding to. A key commonality was the veteran presence. Not every team had a top flight scorer (particularly the most recent ones) but had players in important roles who had 'danced the dance before.' The only player who really fits that description is St-Denis as the other veterans are all supporting cast players. Granted, it's not a bad thing to have a supporting cast and it's certainly better than nothing, but who is going to be that player (or two) that the team can lean on when times get tough? There are certainly no shortage of players who we believe will have that capability down the road but expecting them to be able to do so at 20 or 21 is a risky proposition at best.

Even with that (which I'm sure will help to a degree), where's the one to unify them so to speak? Even on an NHL roster, a good chunk of the players have worn letters at some point. Most would agree still that the veteran leadership presence is still needed on those teams and in the AHL, where a lot of guys (especially on this team) haven't been through the grind of a season, I think it's needed even more.

I did a quick look back at past Calder Cup winners before I put the leadership note in the 2nd part of the mailbag which I imagine you're responding to. A key commonality was the veteran presence. Not every team had a top flight scorer (particularly the most recent ones) but had players in important roles who had 'danced the dance before.' The only player who really fits that description is St-Denis as the other veterans are all supporting cast players. Granted, it's not a bad thing to have a supporting cast and it's certainly better than nothing, but who is going to be that player (or two) that the team can lean on when times get tough? There are certainly no shortage of players who we believe will have that capability down the road but expecting them to be able to do so at 20 or 21 is a risky proposition at best.

Its an issue for sure.

Darryl Boyce?

Freddy St. Denis?

Cedrick Desjardins?

I think its gotta come from those guys.

thanks.

Bergevin/Lefebvre must not be too concerned at all, as i am sure there has to a bunch of vets they could of offered a top AHL salary, to come and be that mentor/leader (a la Mike Keane for his last 5 years with the Moose).

Again, i like the seemingly "sink or swim" attitude Lefebvre put forth.

There are two more Hamilton games on Saturdays in November on Sportsnet. On Nov. 3, they will show the game against Rochester. The really good news? Joe Bowen doesn't get to butcher the Bulldog names in that one. The Nov. 17 game in Toronto is the other televised game, unfortunately it's the PBP crew from last weekend's debacle.

http://theahl.com/sp...ovember-p179905

As for TVA, they will have 7 games, the list can be found here: http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/hockey/archives/2012/10/20121026-160551.html

My interview with Antoine Corbin of the Bulldogs

http://lastwordonspo...ilton-bulldogs/

Nice article Commandant. I thought you might be in Hamilton for the big funeral but I guess it was to interview Corbin. What is different from past years, as Corbin has alluded to is the need to get bigger. Thank God management, it appears, finally realizes that it is easier to play when the rink is slanted your way. Hamilton is huge compared to past years. That is an advantage they need when they got so many rookie players.

According to Inside/Out Stejskal has been recalled to replace Pateryn. I hope this isn't a career threatening injury.

I don't think it is. He had surgery, he'll need time to recover. I wouldn't read into the recall any more than that at this time.

Nice work on the week in review.

One thing that intrigued me was the final thought on Avtsin. I agree 100%, kid should play, even if its in Wheeling.

I think the organization has completely given up on him though, I expect him in Russia next season, if not sooner.

Nice work on the week in review.

One thing that intrigued me was the final thought on Avtsin. I agree 100%, kid should play, even if its in Wheeling.

I think the organization has completely given up on him though, I expect him in Russia next season, if not sooner.

Thanks. I'm inclined to agree with the thought that the organization has given up on him. If that's the case, start building up his trade value. Even if he bolts for the KHL (or MHL), they can still hold his rights for several years after his contract is up. I have to think sitting him for a month can't help in terms of trade value either.

I don't think it is. He had surgery, he'll need time to recover. I wouldn't read into the recall any more than that at this time.

I was just commenting on how critical an injury can be to a joint, in this case an elbow. Stejkal is just maybe the seventh defenseman for the Bulldogs, at least at this time, barring moving Hagel back. I thought it might of been wiser to sign another defenseman instead of all the forwards they sent to Wheeling? But what do I know? Avstin may be the lost man. I don't see any trade value at all, especially with so many people out of work. I have no idea why anyone would want to keep him on the roster in future years. If sitting on the bench for a month or so doesn't light a fire under him, nothing will. I agree that he needs to be sent to Wheeling to get playing time if you plan on using him.

Yeah, I dont think there is any value in Avtsin. Complete bust and time to cut bait.

He'll go back to Russia and I doubt he ever comes back to North America, with the Habs or anyone else.

He's not even as good as Perezhogin and look at what the trade value for him has been... zilch.

It's too bad. He broke a lot of perceived Russian stereotypes for coming over and he truly wanted to become a Hab. Unfortunate. Still a good draft pick to attempt.

Yes , too bad but some kids have all the parts and skills, but lack the between the ears part of a successful player.

Which is the total opposite of a kid like Nathan Beaulieu, who surely dosent lack confidence and tries more funky moves/spinaramas with the puck than maybe even Subban did and joins the rush every chance he gets.

Even his defensive game is much better than i thought it would be as a pro and has best +/- of rookie d-men (but Tinordi/Ellis are playing bigger minutes vs tougher lines i think)

At least Bournival seems to set up on faceoffs as most good centres do, and fights for a win; unlike, say a Plekanec (but all have to have at least 1 weak area and Tomas's is faceoffs)

Anyways, just hope LL is back soon, he seems a very smart player and would really help Bulldogs offense i think.