2012-13 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Tinordi and Beaulieu. As billed, or not quite as good as hoped?

Both are about where I'd figure they'd be...which is worse than a lot of people were hoping for. Beaulieu is clearly gifted offensively but his defensive zone awareness needed significant improvement. He has gotten better in his own end but still isn't NHL ready. Tinordi has largely been steady from what I've gathered (I've only seen maybe 5 games on TV all season, nothing since the new year so I may not be the best to comment on this). He's not overly physical and doesn't fight (much to the chagrin of many) but has been dependable on and off the ice. One more year for him (perhaps even a partial season next year) and I think he'll be NHL ready.

I'm hearing that Brady Vail will sign an ATO with Hamilton in the coming days and will join the team for the rest of the season. That's a very smart idea, I don't see him getting the opportunity to do so next year (Windsor can't be as bad next year as they were this season).

Edit: The contract may be announced as soon as Tuesday.

Both are about where I'd figure they'd be...which is worse than a lot of people were hoping for. Beaulieu is clearly gifted offensively but his defensive zone awareness needed significant improvement. He has gotten better in his own end but still isn't NHL ready. Tinordi has largely been steady from what I've gathered (I've only seen maybe 5 games on TV all season, nothing since the new year so I may not be the best to comment on this). He's not overly physical and doesn't fight (much to the chagrin of many) but has been dependable on and off the ice. One more year for him (perhaps even a partial season next year) and I think he'll be NHL ready.

There was a fellow back in the day named Ron Langway who didn't get too many dance partners, because nobody wanted any part of him. Nobody needs to fight until somebody starts taking liberties. Maybe Tinordi, will be that calming infleunce that we have been missing for years.

Bulldogs have just released Tyler Murovich per a press release at 8:30 pm today

Olivier Fortier gets sent down to Orlando in the ECHL (he was originally loaned there instead of Wheeling). This might ever-so-slightly help Avtsin's chances of getting back into the lineup...ah, who am I kidding, that won't happen for a while.

• Upvote 1

I figured something was up when Fortier got sent down, Bulldogs sign forward Alex Belzile from Gwinnett of the ECHL (where they got Murovich from). (The club hasn't announced the signing yet but I presume it's a PTO.) He has 30 points in 40 games this season, his rookie campaign. He led Rimouski of the QMJHL with 70 assists and 92 points last year.

There's still something else going on. Leveille and Corbin were sent to San Francisco, while Avtsin got sent to Wheeling. Like the Belzile signing yesterday, none of these have been formally announced by Hamilton. I expect to see at least two signings in the coming days to replace these guys on the roster.

I guess I'll have to remove the "Free Avtsin" off my signature at this site, Interesting that two Dogs are going to San Francisco. Since my wife and I attended a SF Bulls game in November, I think there are only four or five of the players we saw still on the active roster. I think the Bulls have gone through over 60 players so far-will have to take a count once the new guys show up on the roster

(it's sure going to bugger up the current jerseys-off-our backs promotion BTW-this year it looks like they are using genuine regular issue jerseys for the promotion. Last couple years they used a cheaper one off jersey (for example no CH crests) used during the pink in the rink promotions)

San Francisco Bulls website mentions their Dean Ouellet is on his way to Hamilton!!!!

San Francisco Bulls website mentions their Dean Ouellet is on his way to Hamilton!!!!

I'm going to presume that based on the exclamation marks that this is a good thing? He's pretty old for a pro rookie (25) after going through the CIS system. Guessing the lines for Friday's loss game is going to be a bit of a challenge...

I guess I'll have to remove the "Free Avtsin" off my signature at this site, Interesting that two Dogs are going to San Francisco. Since my wife and I attended a SF Bulls game in November, I think there are only four or five of the players we saw still on the active roster. I think the Bulls have gone through over 60 players so far-will have to take a count once the new guys show up on the roster

(it's sure going to bugger up the current jerseys-off-our backs promotion BTW-this year it looks like they are using genuine regular issue jerseys for the promotion. Last couple years they used a cheaper one off jersey (for example no CH crests) used during the pink in the rink promotions)

It's the same people year after year who "win" the jerseys off the backs anyways....that's why I purchased all of mine outright.

- :gohabsgo: what I meant re the jerseys off our back deal Ian is that they have already sold tickets on players who will no longer be on the roster.

-the San Francisco roster will now have four players who played for the Dogs this season. Two other players with Dogs experience, Beauregard and Hendrikx, were cut early in the SF season

Mike Commodore has signed a PTO with the Texas Stars

Brian: Ouellet has been a pretty steady goal a game type player through his college career and this year with the Bulls has 52 points in 66 games. The only disconcerting thing is that he is a minus 23 for the season.

Getting back to thoughts on this Dog's season, I honestly never thought Stortini would still be on the third line. Friends are going to the games in Syracuse and Bingo on the weekend so I'll try and get their impression of the new players. They don't have high hopes but were tempted by the thoughts of that Dinosaur Bar-b-que restaurant chain in Syracuse (-also one in Rochester in an old train station right by the rink if you ever get there)

Brian: Ouellet has been a pretty steady goal a game type player through his college career and this year with the Bulls has 52 points in 66 games. The only disconcerting thing is that he is a minus 23 for the season.

A point-per-game player in the CIS is nothing to write home about though. I like his junior numbers (he played with a trio of one-time Bulldogs in his final year). I don't mind that they're trying guys out but I wouldn't get overly attached to him. I don't think he'll be around very long. (As other junior/college guys become available, Ouellet and Belzile will be heading back I would think).

Getting back to thoughts on this Dog's season, I honestly never thought Stortini would still be on the third line. Friends are going to the games in Syracuse and Bingo on the weekend so I'll try and get their impression of the new players. They don't have high hopes but were tempted by the thoughts of that Dinosaur Bar-b-que restaurant chain in Syracuse (-also one in Rochester in an old train station right by the rink if you ever get there)

I didn't get Stortini's promotion then and sure as heck don't get it now. Scoring is the big problem and the solution they came up with is to play him more. I expect that to continue despite the newcomers being more offensively capable players.

I really hope Levebre is fired.

I was leaning that way a while ago but now I'm not so sure. Desjardins said when he was dealt that he had never seen a coach like Lefebvre before - one that was solely committed to player development above all else. It kind of makes me wonder if some of these quirky roster decisions may have come from above (not Stortini's though, that one I think is all him). I'm certainly not absolving him from the blame (there's plenty to go around) though. I think the final stretch will play a large role in his situation for next year. The Bulldogs have played better lately despite a depleted lineup - if that continues, I think he'll stick around for next year.

I remember reading somewhere where Therrien gave Lefebvre kudos for the job he had done getting players ready for the NHL. I know some goofy stuff has gone on. The bulldogs lacked a veteran presence which translated into a losing season once push come to shove. We can also state that the goaltending has been suspect on many nights. I marvel at the organizations that can lose key personnel and move players seamlessly into the NHL, much like Ottawa is doing right now. Maybe MB is on the right tract, I don't know, but I do blame him for the bulldogs season. Mind you that's the only complaint I have concerning MB. He has done a wonderful job on all other accounts.

re Zach. I'm pretty sure that I've seen situations nightly where he has been in scoring postion and routinely missed (where other's wouldn't have). I guess there were some good feelings when he was signed on this season going back to memories of him being a member of the Calder Cup winning team but his lack of speed sure doesn't warrant the third line. I first saw him about ten years ago at a Mississauga Ice Dogs vs Sudbury Wolves game and will admit, he seems to have progressed from his days of being the designated heavyweight for Sudbury. He's not a local as mentioned above, being from Elliot Lake, Ont., but the over use of the local player ("Hamilton Native") adjective by PBP re Hagel and Tenute has worn thin anyways and is meaningless. To give him credit, he does appear much more serious in his approach to the game than the other Zach from last year (Fitzgerald) who was more of the class clown/designated fighter/7th D man variety.

It's great that the coaching staff seem to be developing players who are stepping into the NHL relatively seamlessly, but there is a cost. As I mentioned before, this is always the problem selling minor league hockey, especially close to major league markets. You can't sell it on the "Star" system like major league hockey because as soon as a player gets really good, he is either called up or becomes trade bait. I'm hoping Hamilton can sign a couple more quality "name" vets to AHL contracts next season as I don't think local fans will support a door mat team three seasons in a row. That format, though, hasn't guaranteed good things in the past (Wilsie and Manlow come to mind)

PS-our seats at the Copps are in row 4 west end (Bay St) so usually take the rarely used down escalator from the front doors. An hour before game time we sort of have to wade our way through the team soccer game (Chaput has quite a boot!) but recently had to laugh when we saw Zach balancing on a folding chair trying to retrieve the ball he had kicked and firmly wedged between two ventilation pipes. We were waiting for him to fall but he made it ok-wonder how that would have looked on an injury report???? :hyper:

I actually got hit by a soccer ball kicked by then Brampton Batallion Wojtek Wolski at the Guelph arena. The Batallion Players were fooling around pre game :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: in the long narrow corridor coming from the rear of the complex