2012-13 General Bulldogs Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Sebastian Collberg signs a PTO with Hamilton and likely will play Friday.

Some other quick injury notes, Chaput has a concussion and is out indefinitely (so too does Quailer as noted in a recent GDT) while Philippe Lefebvre has a lower body injury.

Peter Merth, Wheeling Captain, released from his PTO with the Dogs Sunday nite

Peter Merth, Wheeling Captain, released from his PTO with the Dogs Sunday nite

That's odd. Not that he was playing any sort of role in the first place but what was the harm in having him skate with the team for one more week? It's not as if Wheeling is playing right now. Oh well.

Development camp begins in a couple of months. I am wondering if there is an unofficial development site leading up to the camp for guys like Collberg. What I am wondering if during the Bulldogs exit interviews that he has been instructed, similar to what they do at development camp, on what to work on. I am also wondering if that materation/naturalation process is continuing in NA under the organizations' watch? This would make some sense in the need to get him over here for two games. Is the organization working on him right now to get him ready for development camp and the North american life style ( unofficially of course)?

The Habs can't hold a pre-development camp elsewhere as that violates the CBA. They could, however, encourage a player to go to an independent camp - they can't make it mandatory to attend though. I would imagine there were or will be exit interviews; most of Montreal's top management was there on Sunday so I'm sure they've had time to sit down with the players. I have no idea what the plan would be with Collberg though; if I had to guess, I'd imagine he'll be on a plane to Sweden sooner than later.

The Habs can't hold a pre-development camp elsewhere as that violates the CBA. They could, however, encourage a player to go to an independent camp - they can't make it mandatory to attend though. I would imagine there were or will be exit interviews; most of Montreal's top management was there on Sunday so I'm sure they've had time to sit down with the players. I have no idea what the plan would be with Collberg though; if I had to guess, I'd imagine he'll be on a plane to Sweden sooner than later.

He's back in Sweden now. http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=97&artikel=5516232

• 3 weeks later...

I've received word of a report that Joey Tenute is nearing a deal with Malmo of the Allsvenskan next season. Huge loss for Hamilton if true.

There is a similar report on HF Boards this morning suggesting that it is a done deal. I am not sure that I agree with you on the extent of loss.

Tenute was a valuable player for Hamilton, no doubt about that.

However these high scoring AHL vets, seem to be about a dime a dozen.

We just need management to recognize that they are necessary and sign one this summer instead of waiting til midseason to pick him up.

There is a similar report on HF Boards this morning suggesting that it is a done deal. I am not sure that I agree with you on the extent of loss.

It's a done deal now. As much as we picked on the fact that it was mentioned 26 times a game that Tenute was a Hamilton native, I'm sure having a talented local player didn't hurt the cause when it came to promoting the team. He was Hamilton's best player pretty much the minute he signed there and as a result, that has to be a significant loss.

Yes, as Commandant notes, those types of players should be a dime-a-dozen. For whatever reason though, the Habs/Bulldogs have had a ton of difficulty finding the right ones in years past (Brian Willsie struggled, Eric Manlow was outright awful, etc). Tenute wasn't a superstar, but he was one of the better veterans they had brought in lately.

Confirmation of Tenute deal: http://www.malmoredhawks.com/Nyheter/130516-Tenute/

I think we are all heading to the same place, and that is that the "add-ons" were suspect and did not bring near enough veteran presence. It is pretty clear that MB has to do more on that front. Even though the defense was basically formed from rookies, and the goaltending plain horrible at times, I felt that the strength down the middle was also an issue.

Strength down the middle was a HUGE issue for the bulldogs. I think it was their biggest issue even moreso than goaltending and defence.

it will continue to be an issue next year unless some real talent is brought in, as there are no centres graduating to the club from the junior ranks this year. Vail will be back in Windsor and Galchenyuk is up with the Habs, so even with drafting two centres in 2012, they aren't getting help.

The only potential guy might be a Dustin Walsh, but there is no guarantee they sign him, and even if they do, he's probably a work in progress who will need to develop.

Yeah exactly, I believe the malais for the Bulldogs started at center. Geoffrion got hurt, Boyce went home, followed by Nattinen injury and they pieced it together from there. Going forward, Nattinen, Bournival,LeBlanc,Pribyl, Cichy, Dumont, Blunden. Obviously a lot of questions marks. I read to day that Mayer is staying in NA and the European team is filing for compensation. I know you two are not high on Engqvist, but I believe he could have helped big time last year and apparently there is a window. I think a Pribyl signing would be huge. We have no idea whether they will even bring Dumont or Blunden back or where would they play.

Yeah exactly, I believe the malais for the Bulldogs started at center. Geoffrion got hurt, Boyce went home, followed by Nattinen injury and they pieced it together from there. Going forward, Nattinen, Bournival,LeBlanc,Pribyl, Cichy, Dumont, Blunden. Obviously a lot of questions marks. I read to day that Mayer is staying in NA and the European team is filing for compensation. I know you two are not high on Engqvist, but I believe he could have helped big time last year and apparently there is a window. I think a Pribyl signing would be huge. We have no idea whether they will even bring Dumont or Blunden back or where would they play.

Yes, Mayer's staying after all. :wall: HC Biel is filing for compensation as you noted so this could get ugly (ideally ugly enough that he has to play there after all). I have to go re-write part of my planned Bulldog article for tomorrow now too...

Press release from HC Biel (in German): http://www.ehcb.ch/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1606%3Atorhueter-rochade-beim-ehc-biel&catid=48%3Aslider&Itemid=298&lang=de

I'm not high on Engqvist as a future NHL'er but for sure he could have filled a very valuable role this season and could next year. However, he signed a multi-year extension in the KHL a little while back so he won't be part of the equation next year. Right now, the only 2 C's that for sure will be in Hamilton are Bournival and Nattinen (Leblanc was permanently moved to the wing). They really need a veteran top line C, that's for sure.

I wanted to wait to do the final grades for a bit to let some of the frustration subside so that it wouldn't dominate the final evaluations. (I waited nearly a month and that frustration is still there though...) Unlike the midterms, I only focused on players signed by or affiliated to (drafted by) Montreal and only those who played at least 30 games (junior/college prospects had a GP minimum of 9) so that means a player like Nattinen doesn't appear here.

Defence/Goalies: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3089

Forwards: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3090

I wanted to wait to do the final grades for a bit to let some of the frustration subside so that it wouldn't dominate the final evaluations. (I waited nearly a month and that frustration is still there though...) Unlike the midterms, I only focused on players signed by or affiliated to (drafted by) Montreal and only those who played at least 30 games (junior/college prospects had a GP minimum of 9) so that means a player like Nattinen doesn't appear here.

Defence/Goalies: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3089

Forwards: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3090

I get the feeling Leblanc is going to come into camp next season ready to make everyone forget about this season.

Strength down the middle was a HUGE issue for the bulldogs. I think it was their biggest issue even moreso than goaltending and defence.

it will continue to be an issue next year unless some real talent is brought in, as there are no centres graduating to the club from the junior ranks this year. Vail will be back in Windsor and Galchenyuk is up with the Habs, so even with drafting two centres in 2012, they aren't getting help.

The only potential guy might be a Dustin Walsh, but there is no guarantee they sign him, and even if they do, he's probably a work in progress who will need to develop.

Jesus, you and Brian weren't kidding. That's the weakest depth at centre I've ever seen. Not exactly a lot of offense down the middle (especially with Vail next in line). What are the chances they try to convert one of their RWers to C?

A not-very-interesting tidbit: If Nygren does come over and plays in Hamilton, they'll have 4 RH defensemen on the team. I remember not too long ago when Montreal didn't have any RH defenseman.

Jesus, you and Brian weren't kidding. That's the weakest depth at centre I've ever seen. Not exactly a lot of offense down the middle (especially with Vail next in line). What are the chances they try to convert one of their RWers to C?

I could see Holland being moved to C if they have to. If Dumont were to come back next year, it wouldn't look quite so bad although landing a front line AHL C really should be a priority.

I could see Holland being moved to C if they have to. If Dumont were to come back next year, it wouldn't look quite so bad although landing a front line AHL C really should be a priority.

You can't start the season with a patchwork roster. You start the season with a roster that has reasonable expectation for success. I am confident that MB will see the error of his ways and address it appropriately. A couple of strong centers would go a long way.