Quick question...

skinnydog

If the lockout holds through the entire season....1. would there be a draft?

2. What would the draft order be?

Thanks for any response

The lockout has had me wanting to end it all...but I'm doing so well in my fantasy football I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger :)

The best answer I have is that if it lasts the full season but a resolution is reached shortly thereafter (let's say in early June), there would be a draft. I'd imagine it would be done in a lottery process like it was the last time. If memory serves me right, the lottery was as follows:

- Every team had one ball

- Teams that missed the playoffs in any of the previous three seasons received an additional ball

- Teams that had a 1st overall selection in any of the previous four seasons lost a ball, up to leaving that team with only one

I think that was relatively fair for the most part, I suspect they'd use a similar format to that.

Now if the lockout isn't sorted out by June, there wouldn't be the draft as scheduled. Provided there would still be one in the new CBA (the drafts are part of collective bargaining), it would likely be held shortly after it gets resolved.

The best answer I have is that if it lasts the full season but a resolution is reached shortly thereafter (let's say in early June), there would be a draft. I'd imagine it would be done in a lottery process like it was the last time. If memory serves me right, the lottery was as follows:

- Every team had one ball

- Teams that missed the playoffs in any of the previous three seasons received an additional ball

- Teams that had a 1st overall selection in any of the previous four seasons lost a ball, up to leaving that team with only one

I think that was relatively fair for the most part, I suspect they'd use a similar format to that.

Now if the lockout isn't sorted out by June, there wouldn't be the draft as scheduled. Provided there would still be one in the new CBA (the drafts are part of collective bargaining), it would likely be held shortly after it gets resolved.

I thought that some teams had 3 balls in there... no ?

I thought that some teams had 3 balls in there... no ?

That's right. I should've been more specific with that second point. Teams that missed the playoffs over the three years got a ball for each of the years they missed the postseason, up to a maximum of 3 total.

If the lockout holds through the entire season....1. would there be a draft?

2. What would the draft order be?

Thanks for any response

The lockout has had me wanting to end it all...but I'm doing so well in my fantasy football I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger :)

There will be a draft

The first overall will be either Pittsburgh or Edmontons ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Edmonton, Long Island, Winnipeg, Carolina, Dallas, Calgary and Minnesota have all missed the playoffs in the last three years.

Alright but the Oiler and Long Island have drafted in the top 5 so they are out.

Whenever draft is, i am sure Timmins is quite pleased, to say the least, to have 4 picks in the top 60.

If lottery happens as did last time, with Habs missing just once in last 3 years, the odds likely put them with a 10th-to-15th pick?? Maybe an Erne/Rychel/Pulock would fall into that range and be good safe choices?

Alright but the Oiler and Long Island have drafted in the top 5 so they are out.

Its not top 5, its first overall in the last 4 years.

Oilers have 1 ball. Long Island 2.

The Blue Jackets have 3 of their own, plus LA's plus NYR's to give them 5 out of 50 chances at 1st overall.

So if LA or the Rangers win, its really Columbus that wins.

Here is what everyone has.

http://www.dirtydangle.com/2012/07/what-would-weighted-draft-lottery-look.html