Gomez sent home (update: early compliance buyout official)

dlbalr

Technically I don't think the players are over paid. I think they were getting too big a slice of the pot vs the owners. If the growth continues, the cap will keep rising and the salaries will keep going up. I have no problem with that as long as the league is healthy. I also think the contract terms are very favourable to the players and needed adjustment. I think the league would win the grievance too. I don't think they settled due to that as it was the nhlpa that wanted the original delay in the buy outs. I suspect they will be happy to see Gomez gone as soon as possible.

The players get 50% of revenues now.... thats a set figure, it can't go up or down.....

The cap rising means that revenues have risen and means the league is healthier, not worse off.

AS for the grievance... as things stood this morning the league likely would have won, but it appears they didn't want the hassle

However given this agreement between the league and PA... if the Habs don't buy him out they will lose a grievance.

I see the situation exactly like you do Cucumber.

Moi aussi.

And I second a strong sense of sympathy for Gomer and will miss his wonderful carrying skills, but not carrying that cost or the can when he couldn't. Too many mixed metaphors. Is mixing a metaphor? ..never mind..

I don't know about you but I'm in awe of the contract Lamoriello gave Zajac. He is a good player and had a good postseason, but it's like another Gomez contract. What's the hurry to lock a slightly above average guy for that long?! If he leaves, he leaves and you find another one. They did lost Gomez but did they suffer from it? Maybe a little but not as much as if they had sign him the amount the Rangers gave him, or the amount they just gave Zajac. Ridiculous. Another CBA, same GMs, same insanity

I don't know about you but I'm in awe of the contract Lamoriello gave Zajac. He is a good player and had a good postseason, but it's like another Gomez contract. What's the hurry to lock a slightly above average guy for that long?! If he leaves, he leaves and you find another one. They did lost Gomez but did they suffer from it? Maybe a little but not as much as if they had sign him the amount the Rangers gave him, or the amount they just gave Zajac. Ridiculous. Another CBA, same GMs, same insanity

Bettman must have face palmed on that deal...

well we won't be holding any red tag days for gomer soon. He is apparently a really nice guy who forgot how to play hockey. I wish him the best of luck ,just not against the Habs. BUT if he remembers how to play hockey and hurts us then I am going to be pissed. :angry2:

Now that he has the weight of the contract off his back, I can actualy see him do well with teams like the devils, Canucks or even the Isles (though, I can't see him wanting to go to that sideshow), where he doesn't have to be the guy.

There's a very good chance he'll play well after his stint in the ECHL.

Now that he has the weight of the contract off his back, I can actualy see him do well with teams like the devils, Canucks or even the Isles (though, I can't see him wanting to go to that sideshow), where he doesn't have to be the guy.

I heard Don Hay, his former junior coach, on Vancouver radio here talking about Gomez. He speculated that Gomez was a guy who flourishes outside the spotlight. This is an interesting thought...he did, after all, have a fine career in Jersey, before staggering in New York and completely collapsing here. It'll be quite intriguing to see if he can get his game back in a less daunting environment.

I kinda hope he does. For its sheer dashing stylishness, I loved his game, when he had it.

Frankly with Kessler out, if I was Gillis I would roll the dice and offer Gomez $750k this year and buy myself time to get the right deal for luongo.

With the Sedins there to eat up big minutes and Higgins/laps as PK options, Gomez would be able to play some pretty sheltered minutes.

I heard Don Hay, his former junior coach, on Vancouver radio here talking about Gomez. He speculated that Gomez was a guy who flourishes outside the spotlight. This is an interesting thought...he did, after all, have a fine career in Jersey, before staggering in New York and completely collapsing here. It'll be quite intriguing to see if he can get his game back in a less daunting environment.

I kinda hope he does. For its sheer dashing stylishness, I loved his game, when he had it.