Gomez sent home (update: early compliance buyout official)

dlbalr

You now only receive 900K of relief when a player makes more than 900K. The rest stays on the cap. Also, Gomez will have to clear waivers but is not forced to report to Hamilton.

Believe me, I know what the savings are. Some savings are better than no savings though, they might come in handy later on.

By the way, if the cap does go down, some of those long term, high money deals are going to drag teams down and get some GMs fired.

The cap will go no lower than $64.3 M in this CBA. (If HRR goes down, escrow will go up.)

If Therrien plays Bourque as a left winger it'll be him. Otherwise, Kaberle always makes a bone headed move or two even if he's better this season and there will be pressure on Gionta to score goals. In the end, dumb fans will always blame everything on the goalie.

Hey, seeing how much people detest Therrien it might even be him.

Bourque has a French name, so it likely won't be him (although actually being Quebecois didn't help Brisebois, did it?). Therrien is protected by his novelty as well as his ethnicity. Kaberle, now you're talking - he is the most obvious target for demonization, regardless of whether he continues to produce at a 45-point clip. If Cole struggles - and he has a history of struggling early - his willingness to actually speak like a human being instead of a mindless robot may make him a target. PK should be safe because of his charisma.

How pathetic is it that this is a legitimate line of inquiry. The single worst thing about Montreal fans is their incessant need for a scapegoat. This is a city that booed Saku Koivu, for God's sake.

I'm disappointed by this decision. Gomez may not be worth his salary but is still a professional hockey player, a top tier playmaker, winner of 2 stanley cups, great teammate. Habs will be paying him all year to sit at home? Really? Why didn't they wait and let him play a week? Who knows in what condition (mindset) he was/is now? Who knows if he'd have awesome chemistry with Galchenyuk? We'll never know! Really, why not even a week ? Think about it, what kind of injury can he suffer that would sideline him until the Summer? What are the odds of suffering a 6-month injury? Message I get from this move is that the Habs have already given up on this season. No PK, no Gomez. This season is a waste, just a long training camp for Therrien and his new team, just a practice for Bergevin. It'll all starts in July once Gomez's gone. Can't do anything with him in the team. No excuse they said.

Believe me, I know what the savings are. Some savings are better than no savings though, they might come in handy later on.

The cap will go no lower than $64.3 M in this CBA. (If HRR goes down, escrow will go up.)

True, but most of those deals were betting on cap inflation. Frankly, I think most of the GMs thought there would be a salary roll back in the CBA.

Since assigning a player to the AHL no longer gets his salary off the cap I agree the safest move is to do what Montreal GM did, send the player home and bite the bullet with salary. I imagine injuries would have to be hockey related so if he goes home and breaks a leg while washing his windows it will not stop the buyout. Tough decision but that is what the GM is paid to do.

I'm disappointed by this decision. Gomez may not be worth his salary but is still a professional hockey player, a top tier playmaker, winner of 2 stanley cups, great teammate. Habs will be paying him all year to sit at home? Really? Why didn't they wait and let him play a week? Who knows in what condition (mindset) he was/is now? Who knows if he'd have awesome chemistry with Galchenyuk? We'll never know! Really, why not even a week ? Think about it, what kind of injury can he suffer that would sideline him until the Summer? What are the odds of suffering a 6-month injury? Message I get from this move is that the Habs have already given up on this season. No PK, no Gomez. This season is a waste, just a long training camp for Therrien and his new team, just a practice for Bergevin. It'll all starts in July once Gomez's gone. Can't do anything with him in the team. No excuse they said.

as I recall from last year he had a concussion at the end of the year, so to answer your question, one good hit his concussion symptoms return and voila you can't buy him out, if he gets cleared to play before Sept 2013 but after the buy out period, the habs are SCREWED big time and they can't take the risk. A tough decision but the right one.

as I recall from last year he had a concussion at the end of the year, so to answer your question, one good hit his concussion symptoms return and voila you can't buy him out, if he gets cleared to play before Sept 2013 but after the buy out period, the habs are SCREWED big time and they can't take the risk. A tough decision but the right one.

I didn't recall the concussion. If he's injury prone, then this move makes a lot of sense. Otherwise you don't stay in your basement, living with the fear of getting out and being hit by a lightning. That's just lame.

I didn't recall the concussion. If he's injury prone, then this move makes a lot of sense. Otherwise you don't stay in your basement, living with the fear of getting out and being hit by a lightning. That's just lame.

He did have one for sure.

And dont worry about PK hell be signed by Tuesday.

Interesting news as RDS reports that the Players Association is currently reviewing the legality of Bergevin's move with Gomez, which could be considered "against the spirit of the law". Article says that Bergevin asked the league about it first and it was deemed ok. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/354589.html

Bergevin has said that Meehan and him just disagree on a few things.

Lol, yeah, salary and term...

Today they said habs offered 3 for 3, but Subban wants $6m for 5. No way am I paying him 30 million over 5 years at this point in his career.

Interesting news as RDS reports that the Players Association is currently reviewing the legality of Bergevin's move with Gomez, which could be considered "against the spirit of the law". Article says that Bergevin asked the league about it first and it was deemed ok. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/354589.html

cant get to the link only get 404

Wow, $6 mil for 5 years - that's pretty massive. If this is accurate, I may become more pessimistic on this front.

As for the NHLPA, I don't quite grasp their beef. Gomez is getting paid $7 mil (or whatever) to sit on his arse. Where is the injustice?

As for the NHLPA, I don't quite grasp their beef. Gomez is getting paid $7 mil (or whatever) to sit on his arse. Where is the injustice?

You are stopping him from playing the game, which (theoretically) devalues his future contracts. If he sits out for the year, how can he demand more money than league minimum to $1M after a buyout?

Gotta look at it from their perspective.

You are stopping him from playing the game, which (theoretically) devalues his future contracts. If he sits out for the year, how can he demand more money than league minimum to $1M after a buyout?

Gotta look at it from their perspective.

They might actually be doing his value a favor by sending him home.

Another year like last and he won't even be wanted in a Tuesday night beer league.

I can vouch for that as well, John Shannon noted it in the 3rd segment. I've heard 6 and 6 before (Francois Gagnon had that the other day) but 3 and 3 was new.

Its pretty clear to me that numbers aside, PK is looking for the big money, longer term deal and Bergeron is looking for the bridge contract. That is a pretty wide gulf to cross. I hope Bergeron wins this one.

Great move by Marc Bergevin. I have no doubt that Gomez was well liked by the other players, but we weren't paying him 7.3 million$ per year to be "well liked". We were paying him to produce, and he didn't do that.

Sending him back home to Alaska is the right thing to do. He won't be around and be a distrction for his team and there's no risk of him getting injured.

Au Revoir Gomer!!

A special agreement reportedly has been reached by the NHL and NHLPA to allow Gomez (and Wade Redden) to be bought out immediately. No further details are available yet although it is believed that the Habs would still retain the AHL cap hit (cap hit less $900,000) this season on Gomez.

A special agreement reportedly has been reached by the NHL and NHLPA to allow Gomez (and Wade Redden) to be bought out immediately. No further details are available yet although it is believed that the Habs would still retain the AHL cap hit (cap hit less $900,000) this season on Gomez.

Really? Perfect!