Will Galchenyuk play the entire season in Montreal? Should he?

Habsfan

My question is having Galchenyuk in the lineup better then Eller?

Yes.

He will work harder to stay in the lineup than Eller works. It's also conditioning Galenchyuk for the future. If he shows he can't do it you can replace him with Eller, but until we're sure he's overwhelmed, he is more valuable in the lineup than Eller is.

My question is having Galchenyuk in the lineup better then Eller?

Yes, cause you are developping him.... there will be blowouts... He'll get 11-12 minutes in a non blowout (note his first period time in this game was very low, as it was his first road game).... and then more minutes in games that aren't close (Either way). He'll develop and he'll be better for it in September.

Eller will get back in the lineup next loss, probably replacing White. And there will be injuries so he'll play.

Yes, cause you are developping him.... there will be blowouts... He'll get 11-12 minutes in a non blowout (note his first period time in this game was very low, as it was his first road game).... and then more minutes in games that aren't close (Either way). He'll develop and he'll be better for it in September.

Eller will get back in the lineup next loss, probably replacing White. And there will be injuries so he'll play.

I think he gets in Win or Lose by Tuesday.

In back to backs in this season MT will need to use his alternates.

With Pax out for three to four weeks, there is no doubt that Galchenyuck will remain in Montreal this season. Congrats young man!

Yea, it sucks that we'll be without Pacioretty for a weeks and sucks for Pacioretty who has worked hard the past 2 years. I think it's safe to say now that Galchenyuk sticks out the season with the habs as we can't afford having him in juniors and getting another injury. I think Gallagher sticks out the season too I just think he brings so much energy to the team. Time to clean out those spare rooms Gionta and Gorges.

Yea, it sucks that we'll be without Pacioretty for a weeks and sucks for Pacioretty who has worked hard the past 2 years. I think it's safe to say now that Galchenyuk sticks out the season with the habs as we can't afford having him in juniors and getting another injury. I think Gallagher sticks out the season too I just think he brings so much energy to the team. Time to clean out those spare rooms Gionta and Gorges.

Yes, Gallagher will also stick with the team, and Blunden might be recalled.

I'm convinced...he has game...he better be staying!

Galchenyuk: Four games, one goal, two assists, +2

Gallagher: Three games, one goal, one assist, +2

It would take one embarrassing game five for them to be sent down. Oh yeah, Gallagher also has nine hits. Galchenyuk needs to get a lot better at faceoffs but that's not a huge issue right now. The kid will learn.

The two kids have both made a highly compelling case to stay. Galyenchuk in particular looks comfortable and almost scarily talented. I don't know how to process what he's showing me...it's highly unusual and every instinct instilled in me by the last 20 years of wretched failure and awful luck are telling me that this can't be right, it's too good to be true. For this reason, I still maintain an attitude of caution about the inevitable bumps in the road ahead.

Nonetheless, there is absolutely no way these guys get sent down. They are helping the team in a big way and were 2/3 of one of our best lines last night. Kudos to Therrien for giving them Prust - an inspired bit of line-creation.

Yes to both. I was expecting to be impressed by Galchenyuk, and I have been. What a breath of fresh air to have (apparently) drafted elite offensive talent. Wow. And he's 18! Whereas before I was looking for 27, now I'm noticing him.

Gallagher, I was not expecting much. He's been impressive as well.

It's official, both will stay. (Although Gallagher could be sent to Hamilton later on if he struggles of course...)

Galchenyuk could be sent to Sarnia (or Hamilton if Sarnia's season ends before Hamilton's does too)... You can still send down after game 6, but you have burned the year on the contract.

Unlikely (once you burn the contract he should stay), but not impossible.

My preference has been to have him play in the minors for the remainder of the year. He get's a full season instead of a bunch of extra games...get's to play more minutes per game and work on aspects of his game (eg. face-offs, two-way, individual moves, etc) without the pressure. The NHL games and camp probably helped him identify those deficiencies and he can then work on them in junior. I still maintain that this is a write off year and my fear is that he's actually going to help bring the Habs from being a 10th place type of team to an 8th place type of team...and I still believe we're better off in the lottery (and hopefully with a top 5 pick). No one wants the team to be bad ever...but if there is a year to suck it up for a rebuild this is a deep draft and comes on the heels of an already great draft for the organization. One more draft like that could be the recipe that makes this club a long term contender again. I'm willing to live with essentially half a year of crap hockey again if it helps set them up for the next 5-7 years.

If he stays, he needs at minimum the equivalent of 3rd line ES minutes so long as he's not being rolled out as the shut-down C against teams top line too routinely. I think that would be a development mistake to have him in that role. I also think he should also be getting heavier PP minutes if he stays...

The two kids have both made a highly compelling case to stay. Galyenchuk in particular looks comfortable and almost scarily talented. I don't know how to process what he's showing me...it's highly unusual and every instinct instilled in me by the last 20 years of wretched failure and awful luck are telling me that this can't be right, it's too good to be true.

Scary talented. Indeed, that's what I've been thinking. He's got far more pure talent than anyone I've seen in a Habs uniform in a very, very long time. I've been hesitant saying this kind of thing, but the way he skates and attacks the puck and moves with it and pushes it around is just so super-starrish that it's hard to believe he's a Canadien. And his work ethic, so far, has been astonishing. Every shift seems to build on the one previous. I don't want to get ahead of myself because it's so early, but I have every reason so far to believe that we finally have an elite talent that's been missing since... oh, Guy Lafleur.

Due to the late start of the NHL season, and the early finish of the OHL year, one thing to consider is that Galchenyuk will play 24 extra regular season games in Montreal than he would have if sent to Sarnia. (44 games remaining for Montreal, 20 for Sarnia).

This is clearly the best decision for his development. He’s ready to handle the minutes, He’s shown he can create offence at this level and won’t get stuck in a checking role, he’s playing less minutes than OHL, but its much tougher competition, and more games… so more to learn.

I’m really glad the organization made the right call and is doing what is best for development of a guy who has little to learn in Sarnia.

He’ll struggle here at some point, but I think that he’s so confident and such a hard worker, that he’ll be fine.

My preference has been to have him play in the minors for the remainder of the year.

I

still maintain that this is a write off year and my fear is that he's

actually going to help bring the Habs from being a 10th place type of

team to an 8th place type of team...and I still believe we're better off

in the lottery (and hopefully with a top 5 pick). No one wants the

team to be bad ever...but if there is a year to suck it up for a rebuild

this is a deep draft and comes on the heels of an already great draft

for the organization. One more draft like that could be the recipe that

makes this club a long term contender again. I'm willing to live with

essentially half a year of crap hockey again if it helps set them up for

the next 5-7 years.

I couldn't disagree more. Galchenyuk will learn tons more playing in the NHL instead of the O. He is obviously ready, and he will no doubt get icetime, however sheltered.

Your second point is more interesting. Can the Habs compete this season? This remains to be seen. Last night was a good sign - no Patches, no PK, yet victory againt the Stanley Cup Finalist Devils, who were off to a hot start despite losing Parise.

We will know by Friday, Feb 8, after two games vs. the Sens, two against the Sabres and one against the Bruins.

Hopefully both PK Subban and Andrei Markov will play in all of those games.

While another lottery pick would be nice, and the suggestion that we tank in favour of the future is provocative, you can't stop a team from winning if it is ready to start doing so. The Habs have a lot of fine young talent, led by an elite young goal tender. If they stay healthy and sign their future Norris candidate soon, there is no reason why they can't go far this season and post-season.

And you can bet that the M&Ms (MB and MT) are aiming to go as far as possible in their first season together, so forget about the tank job.

I couldn't disagree more. Galchenyuk will learn tons more playing in the NHL instead of the O. He is obviously ready, and he will no doubt get icetime, however sheltered.

Your second point is more interesting. Can the Habs compete this season? This remains to be seen. Last night was a good sign - no Patches, no PK, yet victory againt the Stanley Cup Finalist Devils, who were off to a hot start despite losing Parise.

We will know by Friday, Feb 8, after two games vs. the Sens, two against the Sabres and one against the Bruins.

Hopefully both PK Subban and Andrei Markov will play in all of those games.

While another lottery pick would be nice, and the suggestion that we tank in favour of the future is provocative, you can't stop a team from winning if it is ready to start doing so. The Habs have a lot of fine young talent, led by an elite young goal tender. If they stay healthy and sign their future Norris candidate soon, there is no reason why they can't go far this season and post-season.

And you can bet that the M&Ms (MB and MT) are aiming to go as far as possible in their first season together, so forget about the tank job.

You also can't hold back the development of your best prospect in 30 years in order to tank.

The decision that is being made is what is best for Galchenyuk's development. What will help him to become an elite player for the Habs and what will get him to that level as soon as possible. That should be the organization's prime focus in any decisions regarding him, and it seems to be that way.

He's a special kind of talent.... and you have to focus the organization's energy on harnassing it right now.

You also can't hold back the development of your best prospect in 30 years in order to tank.

The decision that is being made is what is best for Galchenyuk's development. What will help him to become an elite player for the Habs and what will get him to that level as soon as possible. That should be the organization's prime focus in any decisions regarding him, and it seems to be that way.

He's a special kind of talent.... and you have to focus the organization's energy on harnassing it right now.

Agreed.

But I will side with Zowpeb in a small way by saying that if the Habs on the low side of the bubble down the stretch (8-10th-ish), it would be a bold and intelligent long-term strategy to tank for another shot at the lottery.

Tanking would involve trading away a veteran top sixer like Gionta and/or Cole for picks and/or prospects, more Boullion on the PP, and a whole lotta Budaj and Blunden :)

Scary talented. Indeed, that's what I've been thinking. He's got far more pure talent than anyone I've seen in a Habs uniform in a very, very long time. I've been hesitant saying this kind of thing, but the way he skates and attacks the puck and moves with it and pushes it around is just so super-starrish that it's hard to believe he's a Canadien. And his work ethic, so far, has been astonishing. Every shift seems to build on the one previous. I don't want to get ahead of myself because it's so early, but I have every reason so far to believe that we finally have an elite talent that's been missing since... oh, Guy Lafleur.

Even Lafleur did not look as good at first. Don't forget that it's taken him three years to establish himself in the line-up and get the ice time to show his real talent.

No. 27 stays in Montreal because he has nothing left to learn in the OHL. Not only that, he has shown maturity as an individual and already is a big cog in the Habs machine. It would have been plain ridiculous, a very bad decision, to send him back to Sarnia.

The other thing is: if you're trying to build a meritocratic organization where hard work and on-ice results are rewarded, it would be a terrible message to send these guys down.

I know exactly where Colin is coming from, but let's slow down with the Lafleur comparisons, shall we? ;) Let him feel no pressure beyond being the first Alex Galchenyuck.

And - not the 'tank' debate again!! Please God no.

The other thing is: if you're trying to build a meritocratic organization where hard work and on-ice results are rewarded, it would be a terrible message to send these guys down.

I know exactly where Colin is coming from, but let's slow down with the Lafleur comparisons, shall we? ;) Let him feel no pressure beyond being the first Alex Galchenyuck.

And - not the 'tank' debate again!! Please God no.

No, no Lafleur comparisons except that he is the most talented guy (forward) to join the Habs since Guy. It's not a comparison, merely a statement of what I believe to be fact.