P.K. Subban signs 2 year, $5.75M deal

HabsTrick450

I couldn't be happier. Is this what it's like to have a proper GM? And that's no disrespect to Bob Gainey, who's a legend in my home. And as Machine of LG points out, PK get's Kaberle's money when his contract is up. The future looks bright. Which is really all we can hope for.

Apparently it's only the fans who are happy. His teammates seem rather less than enthused thus far, at least that's the impression given. Which doesn't surprise me. Time for PK to take the next step.

Apparently it's only the fans who are happy. His teammates seem rather less than enthused thus far, at least that's the impression given. Which doesn't surprise me. Time for PK to take the next step.

Markov said he didn't want to talk about anything not related to the games, Gorges said its good that they can focus on hockey now, Cole said it was good, Eller and DD said he was a great hockey player.

They were probably told to not talk about it and therefore didn't talk about it.

• Upvote 1

I'm of the opinion that Subban is grossly underpaid this year and a little underpaid on a bridge deal in the second year. Once Kaberle is off the books, Subban can be paid $2M or more to the $3.75M he gets next season and he'll get it on a long term deal.

+1

Why argue about the situation? It's been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties. The deal is fair. More money at this point would have been a bad allocation of capital.

I more than seriously doubt it.

Not if you end up not using the cap space anyway. We'll see.

Worst thing you can do is buy into that. Sports Journalism likes to sometimes work less as a journalism organization and more as TMZ. If I was on the Canadiens, I'd be annoyed by "Will PK sign?" talk overshadowing three really good team performances. But that doesn't mean I'd be annoyed by PK Subban.

+1

I more than seriously doubt it.

Not if you end up not using the cap space anyway. We'll see.

If you don't believe me, just listen to what Meehan said on radio. The negociations were professional all along. Subban is satisfied and will get a better contract very soon if he performs solidly. What's the problem with that?

My boss announced me that I would work 32 hours instead of 38 from now on.

I said that I was good with that and smiled. But seriously, I started looking for another job.

My boss announced me that I would work 32 hours instead of 38 from now on.

I said that I was good with that and smiled. But seriously, I started looking for another job.

Not quite the same situation (he's not being told to accept a pay cut) but evidently Subban didn't go looking for work elsewhere - he wouldn't have signed if he wanted out. Four years from now is a long time, way too much can happen between now and then to affect his relationship with the team. Apparently, according to Meehan, the Habs told Subban during the negotiations that if he continues to play well, they'll be more than willing to talk a long-term deal at that time, something that Subban would also be amenable to. Considering there's no evidence at all to the contrary, I'd be happy with that and not spend the next several years worrying about a hypothetical that there's only speculation to support.

Not quite the same situation (he's not being told to accept a pay cut) but evidently Subban didn't go looking for work elsewhere - he wouldn't have signed if he wanted out. Four years from now is a long time, way too much can happen between now and then to affect his relationship with the team. Apparently, according to Meehan, the Habs told Subban during the negotiations that if he continues to play well, they'll be more than willing to talk a long-term deal at that time, something that Subban would also be amenable to. Considering there's no evidence at all to the contrary, I'd be happy with that and not spend the next several years worrying about a hypothetical that there's only speculation to support.

It makes a lot of sense to me. Good reasoning.

Do you believe he will do it?

I think so.

And more importantly if he plays well his teammates need to grow up and realize he wants to win and is the best skater on the team.

I think it was mostly Markov being Markov, but I have to wonder what he thought of PK wanting to be paid more then Markov on a 2nd contract because he was a number one D. Markov has Putin years of greatness and is demonstrating that PK isn't our number one D.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that the management team has been changed, from the coach on up. And while I can understand PK wanting the big payday, I think it is perfectly reasonable for the new management to want a chance to assess PK from close up before they commit. That's not slagging Subban, it's just taking into account that he's a guy about whom questions have been raised. Now I have a strong suspicion the rumours are hokum created by the quasi-racist 'old school' crowd who think rookies (especially, apparently, black ones who also are not Boston Bruins or Leafs) should do nothing but bow and scrape submissively to every veteran in sight, but there's no way for Bergevin and Co. to know that until they get into the trenches with PK.

I suspect that over time we will come to appreciate Bergevin's diligent attitude on such things - and that he refuses to manage from a position of fear ('OMG WHAT IF WE HURT PK'S FEELINGS!! HERE'S $5.5 MIL FOR 8 YEARS!!!').

As for whether PK is being ripped off in year 2, isn't Letang making $3.5 until 2017? I don't hear anyone quivering that he's gonna hold a grudge.

I suspect that over time we will come to appreciate Bergevin's diligent attitude on such things - and that he refuses to manage from a position of fear ('OMG WHAT IF WE HURT PK'S FEELINGS!! HERE'S $5.5 MIL FOR 8 YEARS!!!').

As for whether PK is being ripped off in year 2, isn't Letang making $3.5 until 2017? I don't hear anyone quivering that he's gonna hold a grudge.

Letang signed before he proved anything. It's like pointing at Burrows contract and claiming every team who doesn't sign their forward to that got ripped off.

Bergevin went against the grain and won. Few GMs could have pulled that off. So far, Bergevin has proved himself to be a very smart GM.

Letang signed before he proved anything. It's like pointing at Burrows contract and claiming every team who doesn't sign their forward to that got ripped off.

Bergevin went against the grain and won. Few GMs could have pulled that off. So far, Bergevin has proved himself to be a very smart GM.

I guess that you had a change of heart...

I guess that you had a change of heart...

Bergevin played a risky game and won. He had a showdown on a 2 and 5 and got the straight on the river. If this doesn't hurt Montreal's standing in the future with other young players than Bergevin has proved himself one of the most competent GMs in the league.

Bergevin played a risky game and won. He had a showdown on a 2 and 5 and got the straight on the river. If this doesn't hurt Montreal's standing in the future with other young players than Bergevin has proved himself one of the most competent GMs in the league.

From what I understand, he earned a ton of respect, from Subban and his agent, in the dressing room and among his peers. It was not a punishment, but a lesson of humility for the player. P.K. has incredible skills, but he is young an immature. To give him the special status, the big contract at this stage, would have been extremely risky, not only for the team, but for the young man.

You just have to listen how the players reacted to his signing to realize that his attitude hurt a lot of feelings. It's a big plus for an individual to have talent, to be confident. But if your ego inflates to the point that rules don't apply to you anymore, your personality can ruin your potential.

The job of managing P.K. Is far finished. Therrien will have to show a lot of doigté. You want to help the player, not destroy what makes him special. It's gonna be interesting to watch.

The media showed Gorges and Markov. Markov who's known to be stern with the media and Gorges, who couldn't be any closer to the archtype of the hockey player interview, reading too much into this would be crazy.

I can't for the life of me understand peoples attitude that Subbans ego is out of control? He wants a fair deal? Man the ego on that kid. Likes to celebrate when he scores important goals? TRADE HIM! He's part of the new age player that wants to bring excitement back to the game. Younger players realize fans want that, they want the excitement of goal celebrations, that promoting themselves, benefit the team and therefore the bottom line with teams and will lead to greater salary caps.

So who determines whats overpaying, by what scale are you using to measure worth? If you are not using other products (players) as a scale how can you determine whether or not Subban was over or underpaid?

To get a fair comparison you can't compare Subban to ALL defencemen in the NHL. Some are entry level players, some in RFA years and some in UFA years.

Get a list of d-men who signed RFA level contracts after only 2 years in the league and compare Subban to them. You might have, what, a dozen legitimate comparisons of the past 2-3 years. From there, I'd guess it's maybe around 3-6 guys that you can draw a reasonable performance comparison to as being in the same ball-park. All this was already discussed ad nauseum with guys like Carlson, Del Zotto, etc being mentioned...and a few folks thinking they could bring Doughty in as a comparable which is just crazy.

If a young university student graduates school and gets a job he isn't, and shouldn't, be paid the same as his more experienced peers. Subban is starting his career...he'll make more in a couple years...and even more again once he becomes a UFA. Like EVERY other player in the NHL and, really, no different then the rest of the working world (other then the fact that these guys make 10 - 100 times more then most per year...lol). I still can't believe people don't get the basic premise of the entry level and RFA deals...must be the youth/union crowds that have been spoon-fed and/or haven't really started working yet.

Worst thing you can do is buy into that. Sports Journalism likes to sometimes work less as a journalism organization and more as TMZ. If I was on the Canadiens, I'd be annoyed by "Will PK sign?" talk overshadowing three really good team performances. But that doesn't mean I'd be annoyed by PK Subban.

This ^ is well said. Media just looking for a story on that stuff...no surprise in Montreal. More columnists then legit journalists...they are all fighting for a story even if they have to make one up or twist half-truths into outright lies.

The media showed Gorges and Markov. Markov who's known to be stern with the media and Gorges, who couldn't be any closer to the archtype of the hockey player interview, reading too much into this would be crazy.

I can't for the life of me understand peoples attitude that Subbans ego is out of control? He wants a fair deal? Man the ego on that kid. Likes to celebrate when he scores important goals? TRADE HIM! He's part of the new age player that wants to bring excitement back to the game. Younger players realize fans want that, they want the excitement of goal celebrations, that promoting themselves, benefit the team and therefore the bottom line with teams and will lead to greater salary caps.

Agreed...most players on the team likely don't care and some probably laugh along with Subban. You might have a couple guys that want him to "tone it down" but that doesn't mean they don't like the guy. I like his passion and, so long as it doesn't cross the line of poor sportsmanship (which I really haven't really seen...at least anymore then what is the norm), I think he's fine. Again, it's just the media looking for a story...and the casual fan is what usually feeds into those stories. You can spot them usually because they are written by a columnist and not an analyist or journalist...and they're usually filled with opinions designed to generate SOME controversy.

I'm a big PK fan. But that doesn't mean that the reports of his being somewhat controversial in the locker room - of which there has been a pretty consistent trickle since his arrival in the league - are balderdash. It's hardly impossible that Subban rubs some of his teammates the wrong way, and while, if true, this is probably just part of his learning process, it is something to keep an eye on. Yet another reason for thinking Bergevin wise in not locking him up long-term at this juncture.

It was a lot more than that. If you listened to Guy Carbonneau and Vincent Damphousse, guys who have their contacts among the players, you would have understood that there really was a problem. It's a cool welcome to say the least. It serves no purpose to be in denial -- where there is smoke, there is fire.