February's Top Prospects

dlbalr

Our next instalment of the Prospect 3-Stars is up on the site. What really impressed me as I was putting this together was the amount of later draft picks on there. Of the nine players discussed, six were taken in the fourth round or later (or went undrafted in one of the cases). That isn't to say that the top players aren't playing well but it's nice to see some of the 'afterthought selections' standing out.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3024

On Archambault i would pass, it took him way too long to get his tools in the juniors,

i would not say the same thing if he had a different body package but another small

offensive player is not needed.

Talking of small right wing i see no future for Kristo in Montreal with Gallagher in Montreal

for the next 10 years. What is the value of a Hobey Baker candidate ?

Enought to land Clowe ?

On Archambault i would pass, it took him way too long to get his tools in the juniors,

i would not say the same thing if he had a different body package but another small

Talking of small right wing i see no future for Kristo in Montreal with Gallagher in Montreal

Enought to land Clowe ?

I think Ryane Clowe is this year's Dustin Penner - struggling and ridiculously overhyped. His teammate Scott Gomez has scored more goals (1) than he has this year. So based on my evaluation of what Clowe would be worth, I'd call Kristo an overpayment. In terms of what the market will inevitably bear, it wouldn't be enough. Kristo shouldn't have to jump to the NHL right away so they can keep both him and Gallagher around for now.

As for Archambault, I certainly wouldn't be upset if he didn't sign but given that the Habs will have quite a few contract slots open next year, there's a real case to be made to take the chance with him. He would be eligible to go back to the QMJHL for his overage year if there are concerns that he isn't ready to make the jump yet.

Enought to land Clowe ?

Kristo will be signed.

Enought to land Clowe ?

Kristo is 5'11"

He's not tiny like Gallagher.

For perspective.... Pacioretty is two inches taller than Kristo. Kristo is three inches taller than Gallagher.

Kristo is 5'11"

For perspective.... Pacioretty is two inches taller than Kristo. Kristo is three inches taller than Gallagher.

5'11 is not small/not small enough to have any impact in a game.

• 3 weeks later...

We need to stop looking at players as small/big. There is such thing as average size. Think Ice Hockey for the NES.

A guy like Tomas Plekanec is average sized. Same to Crosby. I think a lot of people forget that PK Subban is only six feet tall. His height is never an issue in the NHL.

Any player between 5'10" and 6'1" I'd consider to be of average height. Shorter than that and the "small" label is acceptable. Taller than that and we're talking a big player.

yes, size is overrated

and more mistakes are made at draft going for 6'2" 210lbers, who will never have NHL speed, than picking a small Petan who basically led the WHL in scoring and was a +61 and is still only rated 2nd rounder by some scouts.

We need to stop looking at players as small/big. There is such thing as average size. Think Ice Hockey for the NES.

A guy like Tomas Plekanec is average sized. Same to Crosby. I think a lot of people forget that PK Subban is only six feet tall. His height is never an issue in the NHL.

Any player between 5'10" and 6'1" I'd consider to be of average height. Shorter than that and the "small" label is acceptable. Taller than that and we're talking a big player.

Kristo is 5'11"

For perspective.. Chara is seven inches taller than Pacioretty, thirteen inches taller than Gallagher

yes, size is overrated

and more mistakes are made at draft going for 6'2" 210lbers, who will never have NHL speed, than picking a small Petan who basically led the WHL in scoring and was a +61 and is still only rated 2nd rounder by some scouts.

NHL speed is probably the biggest issue for any player going into the NHL. When you are Jagr you have nothing to worry about because the game slows down for you. Nobody can take the puck from him so there's no use complaining about his skating speed. But for guys going into the NHL, big medium or small you have to be able to skate at an NHL level. If Corey Locke could skate at an NHL level he would have been the first overall pick in 2003. Instead he was the 113th overall pick and only played nine games in the NHL. Hugh Jessiman gets laughed about as a Rangers bust in 2003 but he had every intangible to be a Todd Bertuzzi. The problem was his skating wasn't good enough to play in the NHL so he never did and probably never will. You have to be able to skate in this league. That's why I honestly like the Pittsburgh trade for Iginla better than Boston (though both were under value for a rental of his calibre). I've watched Khokhlachev, the guy Boston was offering in the OHL. He's a fast skater and has good acceleration but if you ever expect him to turn and defend he's completely useless. The guy never played defence. He'll be the definition of a one way guy and probably have a Jussi Jokinen type career. Ben Hanowski has all of the abilities to be a solid third line winger for the Flames for years to come.

and fast smaller forwards make Chara look like a pylon, so being big isnt all for the good.

For perspective.. Chara is seven inches taller than Pacioretty, thirteen inches taller than Gallagher