Hurricanes vs Canadiens - March 7th, 2013

bar

I like Eller, but I can't help but think he would be better off on a team like Florida or Columbus. There's no way he's making the top 6 here, he has the skills, but he needs 20-30 games on the first or second line, and that isn't going to happen in MTL.

Eller is a quietly big story for the Habs this year. A major key to our success so far has been depth up front, and he is providing that along with the Gallys. It seems that Therrien sat him down and suggested he pattern himself on Plekanec; and sometimes that's what a player needs, an identity that helps him sculpt his game.

This idea that a promising young player 'needs to be in the top-6' is a recurring trope, but I don't see it myself. First of all, we're a three-line team on offence, not a team with a clear-cut #1 line. That's been the secret to our balanced attack. So there's little to be gained in getting all hung up on ranking our lines. And second, it's the same old rebuttal that IF we are going to think in terms of 'ranked' lines, it's up to the player himself to force himself onto the top lines, not to have it handed to him. Indeed, Eller seems to be the kind of guy who drifts towards complacency and being a passenger, so the worst thing you could do would be to just anoint him a top-6 player because he 'needs' it.

Indeed, he's finally taking strides this season. That suggests that whatever we're doing is working, not that he 'needs' to be somewhere else.

Who were they showcasing him for, LOL? A team that needs minor league depth? Unfortunately the Weber that scored the goal in the Boston series is no more. I think his best bet would be the KHL or Swiss league. He's got a shot, but if we wanted that, we would trade for Marc Andre Bergeron. Maybe if we played him more he would fit it, and reach his top form, but in any case, I have a hard time thinking a defender who gives up a penalty shot during a powerplay is NHL material.

Well then, maybe Therrien had a hunch that Weber would be hungry and play like a man possessed, that's why he put him in then. He made one good bodycheck and then pooped his hockey pants the rest of the night until he got hurt. I think he's offically done in Montreal. Put him on waivers and get rid of him. I'd rather play Kaberle or see what Pateryn can do. There's also St-Denis in Hamilton and Streit in New York ;)