Hurricanes vs Canadiens - March 7th, 2013

bar

Man, when Subban's aim is on it's just an electric shot.

Anyone else notice that Markov seems a bit panicky with the puck when pressured? His first pass is still the best on the team, but he loses composure a lot quicker than I remember.

Huge PP.

Love the change of pace in the 3rd.

It is a good thing to have 8 D men with NHL experience.

big change last two games with the PP, is Subban is playing the point on the other side. I couldn't figure out why MT had on him the right side, when he has always been much more effective on the left side.

Price looked soft on that 2nd goal, but kept the habs in it afterwards and is approaching 40 saves for the night.

• Upvote 1

just tuned in to the radio broadcast-did Sergio say something re Weber being hurt again??? Thanks

I understand that the coaches liked seeing what Plekanec could do with a big player like Bourque, but you can't just put another big body there and think it will work. Bourque has skill!

Prust and Hands of Stone Moen just won't cut it. Give them a skill player first - size second.

Anyone else notice that Markov seems a bit panicky with the puck when pressured? His first pass is still the best on the team, but he loses composure a lot quicker than I remember.

Yes it's because he knows hes slower and doesn't want to look like weber.

Did anyone notice Ryder played just 1 shift in the 3rd? He wasn't hurt either.

He was awful tonight just couldn't get with the flow.

other than the 2nd period meltdown, they played a great game. Thank the great pumpkin that Mr. Price was in nets. He salvaged the game for them. Lars Eller looked really good, I am becoming a big fan of him. Markov can't do the things he used to do and probably needs to hang back more so he is not getting beat with speed. Still a great powerplay guy, and first pass out.

Phew!! THat could have gone the wrong way. Loved how the boys came out after MT called the time out!

Have I told y'all that i'm starting to get a man crush on Prust? What an awesome player. Watching him give everything he's got is nice to see.

True that CArey would probably like to see the second goal again, but he did make 42 sames and kept our boys in the game during the second period when the Canes completely dominated.

We got the two points and are still in the first place. Let's go to florida and puck up 4 more points this week end!

• Upvote 1

Yes it's because he knows hes slower and doesn't want to look like weber.

I know I'm watching from the comfort of my computer chair, but it seems like he has more time than he thinks...

Considering he's playing a position he's never played (they've got him on the left wing for some odd reason) it's not entirely surprising.

He hasn't been impressive on the right wing either. I think he would make a big impact if Bourque was back in the lineup. He's more effective than Gionta, and Pleks/Bourque were looking really well together, didn't matter Gionta was useless at the time, like when Patches got the monkey off his back, Cole's lack of production wasn't as noticeable as his 2 linemates were doing well.

Markov makes a lot more mistakes these days, perhaps he's tired? I find Emelin bails him out quite a bit.

I still think Bergevin needs to make a move on D, whenever opposing teams throw a persistent forecheck at the Habs, the D is out-muscled all the time. Only PK can get the puck out of trouble because he skates.

just tuned in to the radio broadcast-did Sergio say something re Weber being hurt again??? Thanks

Weber has a lower body injury. Too bad, I was pretty sure they were showing him for a trade. Now he gets hurt, great.

Greg Pateryn has been called up.

I've never seen Gorges play with such finesse on the offensive end! Some great goals that he was a part of. Prust made some sweet passes too.

It's nice having three lines that can score, because even when our top two lines aren't getting it done we had our 3rd line come in to pick up the slack.

Markov is playing like a guy who knows he's had a few years of injuries and is trying to prove that he can still do it - mostly to himself. In the process, he's overplaying far more than he ever has. Yes, he's lost a step, and maybe even two, and he realizes it and is struggling to learn how to compensate without flinging the puck. He's smart, however, and still a very effective defender and I suspect it's just a matter of time before he finds his new limitations and learns to play within and excel.

• Upvote 2

I know I'm watching from the comfort of my computer chair, but it seems like he has more time than he thinks...

Yes and you would think his timing would be spot on because he was in mid season form before the NHL season started.

But I think we all know his multiple injuries have really slowed him down, that said he is still a fantastic player on the PP.

Just watched highlights of the game on NHL.com.

Price made some beautiful saves tonight. 2nd goal was shaky, but he was really there when it counted.

Eller is really coming around. I give credit to MT for not just motivating him, but actually communicating with him and letting him know exactly what he wants to see. So far, Eller is delivering.

Good rebound game from Price. Hopefully we can build on this.

That backhand saucer pass by Prust was just sick. Best off season signing in a long time.

Weber has a lower body injury. Too bad, I was pretty sure they were showing him for a trade. Now he gets hurt, great.

Greg Pateryn has been called up.

Who were they showcasing him for, LOL? A team that needs minor league depth? Unfortunately the Weber that scored the goal in the Boston series is no more. I think his best bet would be the KHL or Swiss league. He's got a shot, but if we wanted that, we would trade for Marc Andre Bergeron. Maybe if we played him more he would fit it, and reach his top form, but in any case, I have a hard time thinking a defender who gives up a penalty shot during a powerplay is NHL material.

Markov makes a lot more mistakes these days, perhaps he's tired? I find Emelin bails him out quite a bit.

I still think Bergevin needs to make a move on D, whenever opposing teams throw a persistent forecheck at the Habs, the D is out-muscled all the time. Only PK can get the puck out of trouble because he skates.

Last night Markov played over 27 minutes. That is a lot of minutes for any defenseman. I do notice what you mean by making more mistakes than usual, but I think the solution is cutting his ice-time by giving Subban/Gorges a couple of extra shifts. It also may have a lot to do with the Diaz injury, making Markov/Emelin and Subban/Gorges eat up a few extra shifts because Boullion gets shafted with an unreliable defensive partner.

Now reading what I just wrote and what you just said, I think all I'm doing is elaborating on what you were saying.

Eller is really coming around. I give credit to MT for not just motivating him, but actually communicating with him and letting him know exactly what he wants to see. So far, Eller is delivering.

Good rebound game from Price. Hopefully we can build on this.

That backhand saucer pass by Prust was just sick. Best off season signing in a long time.

It's nice to see Eller start to finally develop his offensive game. When Bourque gets healthy and if he returns to early season form, Eller will benefit from having a goal scorer on his wing and Chucky on the other. I've always said Eller was our best player on the boards because of his great stick work, with good linemates that should easily translate to points. I feel bad for being so hard on him at the start of the season. Can't really blame the kid for using bad habits JM had beat in his head. JM taught Eller to play lazy just as long as your playing defensive, hopefully MT has shown him what he can do with his talent.

My thoughts during last night's game:

-Price looked excellent. He should break sticks in practice every week!

-Subban is getting his shots on taget; if he can continue to do so, this will not go well for the rest of the East.

-Weber is awful. No, no. no! I know he hasn't played, but he's 100 NHL games deep, and he's giving up penalty shots on the powerplay. "It's a patetic (sic) performance." Therrien

-Ryder looks lost, I think he needs some solid practice, he'll improve when they get off the road. Hopefully he can get a goal against the Panthers, the worst team in the last 20 years.

-That being said, I don't care what kind of performance Ryder had, I don't ever want to see Travis Moen on the second line.

-Pac-DD-Gallagher line didn't do a whole hell of a lot.

Last night Markov played over 27 minutes. That is a lot of minutes for any defenseman. I do notice what you mean by making more mistakes than usual, but I think the solution is cutting his ice-time by giving Subban/Gorges a couple of extra shifts. It also may have a lot to do with the Diaz injury, making Markov/Emelin and Subban/Gorges eat up a few extra shifts because Boullion gets shafted with an unreliable defensive partner.

Now reading what I just wrote and what you just said, I think all I'm doing is elaborating on what you were saying.

It's nice to see Eller start to finally develop his offensive game. When Bourque gets healthy and if he returns to early season form, Eller will benefit from having a goal scorer on his wing and Chucky on the other. I've always said Eller was our best player on the boards because of his great stick work, with good linemates that should easily translate to points. I feel bad for being so hard on him at the start of the season. Can't really blame the kid for using bad habits JM had beat in his head. JM taught Eller to play lazy just as long as your playing defensive, hopefully MT has shown him what he can do with his talent.

I like Eller, but I can't help but think he would be better off on a team like Florida or Columbus. There's no way he's making the top 6 here, he has the skills, but he needs 20-30 games on the first or second line, and that isn't going to happen in MTL.