Darren Dietz signs a 3 year deal

johnnyhasbeen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lopKbw_zE

Since the Habs are doing so awesome & I'm so happy about it these days, I thought I'd spend my afternoon making a Dietz tribute. It's a simple movie since I didn't want to get carried away. Enjoy.

Welcome to Montreal Darren Dietz :)

:thumbs_up: Bergevin.

• Upvote 1

Dietz had said previously that the Habs didn't want to do the contract until his season was over. There were less than 12 hours between the buzzer sounding on his final game (3 assists last night) and the timing of the press release. They didn't waste any time there...

Here's hoping for a long playoff run for him and a strong effort at the Memorial Cup to cap off his junior career.

Of the remaining 2013 deadline signings (Archambault, Nygren, Pribyl, Klubertanz, Kristo and Walsh), who is guaranteed, who is on the bubble, and who is just not gonna happen?

None are guaranteed.

Habs would like to sign

Nygren, Kristo.

On the Bubble

Pribyl, Walsh, Archambault

Won't sign

Klubertanz

Of the remaining 2013 deadline signings (Archambault, Nygren, Pribyl, Klubertanz, Kristo and Walsh), who is guaranteed, who is on the bubble, and who is just not gonna happen?

I'd surmise at this point that all but Klubertanz have a decent chance (Klubertanz isn't really a prospect, the Habs are just holding his RFA rights like they are with Engqvist). Walsh should get an ATO with Hamilton shortly - his college team was eliminated yesterday from his regular playoffs and they won't make the Frozen Four - and that will give the Habs a bit of an idea about whether it's worth it or not to give him a 2 year ELC. I think Archambault will get one although I wouldn't be upset if he wouldn't. If his junior team gets eliminated first round, I think he too will get an ATO.

We don't know for sure if Nygren/Pribyl have to sign or whether or not the rule change in the new CBA (all NCAA/International players get 4 years). If they do have to, I think Nygren's is very likely to sign and I hope Pribyl gets a chance. His skill set is rather intriguing and I think he could be a quality farmhand at the very least if given the chance.

Ho hum, just another solid, solid d prospect. I have never seen our team stocked with so many promising young players and prospects. Am I dreaming? Somebody pinch me.

I've got a bad feeling about Kristo. I really hope we are able to sign him, but see him using the same out as Wheeler and Schultz. I don't understand why the owners didn't close the loop hole allowing college players that played usa high school/prep school (?) to become free agents.

I've got a bad feeling about Kristo. I really hope we are able to sign him, but see him using the same out as Wheeler and Schultz. I don't understand why the owners didn't close the loop hole allowing college players that played usa high school/prep school (?) to become free agents.

That loophole applies to third year collegiate players who were four years past their draft season. Kristo was in that boat last year and didn't exercise it. Now, the same rules as a regular fourth year college player apply.

Because holding someone's rights indefinitely just because you drafted them would be a violation of anti-trust laws and labour laws.

4 years post draft every player (not just NCAA players, but CHL players too), get to become free agents.

The only exception is Russians, but because they aren't covered by labour laws, the NHL is able to get away with it.

That loophole applies to third year collegiate players who were four years past their draft season. Kristo was in that boat last year and didn't exercise it. Now, the same rules as a regular fourth year college player apply.

I thought the loophole applies to college players who weren't signed after their 2nd year. Can you clarify the rules.

Because holding someone's rights indefinitely just because you drafted them would be a violation of anti-trust laws and labour laws.

4 years post draft every player (not just NCAA players, but CHL players too), get to become free agents.

The only exception is Russians, but because they aren't covered by labour laws, the NHL is able to get away with it.

Don't unsigned CHL players go back in the draft, whereas college players become UFA's?

I thought the loophole applies to college players who weren't signed after their 2nd year. Can you clarify the rules.

Don't unsigned CHL players go back in the draft, whereas college players become UFA's?

Yes, they go back into the draft after 2 years. If they still don't sign, they become UFAs after 4 years. Same lenght of time for free agency as College kids, the 2nd time being drafted is the only difference.

Kristo looks really good. I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to sign here. Any word if he's "liked " the Oilers on Facebook?

Kristo has never made any implication he didn't want to come to Montreal. He only made it clear he wanted to finish his degree and take the Sioux to a championship. He's a total team player.

Once again, Renaud Lavoie only tweets part of the contract information. It's not a $665,000 cap hit as is being reported, it's $900,000.

Breakdown:

13-14: $640,000 base, $260,000 bonuses, $90,000 signing bonus

14-15: $665,000 base, $235,000 bonuses, $90,000 signing bonus

15-16: $690,000 base, $210,000 bonuses, $90,000 signing bonus