What age is a good age to start skating?

huzer

My little guy (3 and change) is really into hockey. He's definitely taken an interest in hockey over other sports. Just wondering when other people started skating, or at what age their little ones started.

We'll keep an eye on the draft in 2028 !

Generally, most children are ready to learn to skate between the ages of 3 and 5. The decision to start them in a program depends on their attention span and their level of interest in skating. It's important to make sure that the skates fit them properly and that their ankles are well-supported.

http://www.ajaxskatingclub.ca/html/skatefaqs.htm

3 is good. I remember, when I was 5, being one of the best player (if not the best) in my home town, just because I was skating better than the other kids.

These years (5-6 years old) were definitely my best in hockey !! :)

• 9 months later...

My now 4 year old laced up his first pair of skates on Saturday. Yesterday, he asked when we can go skating again. He wasn't enjoy it much, but towards the end, I gave him a hockey stick and a puck and we passed it around a little bit. He was very excited "Dad, we're playing ICE hockey!" Up to this point, he's referred to his socks as skates so he can slide around on the hardwood floors in the house. He also might be the only 4 year old in Colorado that sings the Canadian anthem...he sings it before he starts playing hockey. For a long time, he called it "the Montreal song".

The kid is hockey crazy. The first thing he watches every morning? Not cartoons, he gets the iPad, and watches highlights from the previous night's games. He got a net with a siren/light for his birthday, and my bro-in-law bought him full hockey gear. Quite the chance, since the little one had yet to skate and it wasn't a given he'd play hockey.

• Upvote 3