Deadline Day: Habs acquire... nobody!

sakiqc

Bergevin didn't make any trade in his 1st Deadline Day!

Why holding to all those 2nd round picks? 5th for Comeau, 4th for Smithson, price wasn't that high.

Torres moved for a 3rd (!) round pick to a division rival(!!). There were other interesting options.

I don't understand this.

I like our team but thought we had room to add.

Agreed. Not surprised MB decided to hang on to the future assets instead of trying to tweak the lineup. Getting Bourque and Diaz back will be our deadline action.

Nobody expected us to compete this year, the future is bright in Montreal, and this year we're playing with house money. No need to mortgage the future for a chance to win it all this year. The gap between us and the Pittsburgh's and Chicago's is still too large.

I'm content with only adding Drewinske. I figured a depth dman would be about it. Now, Bergevin can announce the Kristo signing when he meets the media today. :ph34r:

Granted, things can happen before the draft, but I'm glad the team still has a stockpile of picks.

Torres moved for a 3rd (!) round pick to a division rival(!!). There were other interesting options.

I don't understand this.

From the sounds of it the Habs made an offer for him but Phoenix went with the Sharks. That would suggest to me that Montreal put their own 3rd rounder in play (since they don't have a 4th this year to offer); when it comes down to it the 3rd from SJ would be better than the MTL one.

I'm not at all happy with this deadline. The picks are great, but the precious five second and third rounders he refused to part with may take 3-5 years from now to develop, if they turn into NHLers at all. There is no guarantee Bourque will be back, he's skating, but that's it. Also, for a team that is in second in the conference and first in their division, I don't think it's acceptable to stay quiet on the deadline. There's no guarantee we won't be plagued with the same health issues that have derailed our success in the past years.

I'm not at all happy with this deadline. The picks are great, but the precious five second and third rounders he refused to part with may take 3-5 years from now to develop, if they turn into NHLers at all. There is no guarantee Bourque will be back, he's skating, but that's it. Also, for a team that is in second in the conference and first in their division, I don't think it's acceptable to stay quiet on the deadline. There's no guarantee we won't be plagued with the same health issues that have derailed our success in the past years.

I honestly think they're banking on Kristo playing a role. Giving him the short contract that covers this season suggests they intend to use him in the very near future.

From the sounds of it the Habs made an offer for him but Phoenix went with the Sharks. That would suggest to me that Montreal put their own 3rd rounder in play (since they don't have a 4th this year to offer); when it comes down to it the 3rd from SJ would be better than the MTL one.

I'd have offered our own 2nd round pick, which is a very late pick, so slightly better than the 3rd pick they got from SJ.

Of course he made deals... Early

Scoring winger... Ryder for Cole.

Depth Center for pk and f/o. ... Halpern off waivers

Depth D ... DD

Power forward... Bourque from IR

2nd pair D with PP ... Diaz from IR (hopefully)

Essentially, we gave up cole and a minor pick for Ryder, Halpern, and DD

Good stuff. Helps this year, no damage to the rebuild.

I'd have offered our own 2nd round pick, which is a very late pick, so slightly better than the 3rd pick they got from SJ.

I wouldn't have went that far and I suspect had they done so, we'd be welcoming him to the Habs right now. I like Torres but on this team he's a rental 4th liner so I can understand why one of the 2nd's wasn't dangled.

Valuable 4th liner. Sand paper/warrior/wrecking ball type. Went 4 times to the Finals. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=42312

Yeah, and then if we bow out in round 1 or 2 everybody is bitching about the loss of a 2nd-round pick in a deep draft. That is a ridiculous price for a rental Torres.

I'm not saying Bergevin was wrong, or that I could do his job, but it's hard to watch Jagr, Pominville and Clowe get traded for nickels and we get Davis Drewiske. Also, in the toughest/meanest division in hockey, he did nothing to try to add toughness. I won't accept the price for Raffi Torres was too high. And at the risk of sounding totally negative, once again, we've proven that we're more than happy just to make the playoffs.

I'm not saying Bergevin was wrong, or that I could do his job, but it's hard to watch Jagr, Pominville and Clowe get traded for nickels and we get Davis Drewiske.

The real mistake was in not signing Jagr earlier. We could have had him without losing any assets had we been willing to sign him as a UFA. I also think Fatendresse would have been a good addition too. Both signed short-term deals, perfect for us.

I think there's a philosophy here, and it goes beyond just 'continuing to build from within.' This team has been more than the sum of its parts from Game Two of this season onwards. All those players would be useful, granted, but I think this team has really made a case for its internal chemistry and depth. All they do is keep on winning. There's something to be said for trusting the guys you have, especially given that this team has no really glaring holes, and that the approach all along has been to pull together and win through character, offensive depth, excellent D and Price. Reaching for an external saviour seems to grind against the specific identity of this specific team. Just a thought.

I'm not saying Bergevin was wrong, or that I could do his job, but it's hard to watch Jagr, Pominville and Clowe get traded for nickels and we get Davis Drewiske. Also, in the toughest/meanest division in hockey, he did nothing to try to add toughness. I won't accept the price for Raffi Torres was too high. And at the risk of sounding totally negative, once again, we've proven that we're more than happy just to make the playoffs.

Just because he didnt wait until today to make deals doesnt mean we did noting...see my post above.

In many of the trades, you are ignoring the fact that many players had NTC and a say in the team they went to. Who says we could have gotten those players for the same price.

The only guy I saw that fit the strategy of good today, better tomorrow was Pominville.

I am not convinced we are a cup contender this year. We are a young team that needs some PP experience and was last in the East last year. If we make it to he ECF, I will be very pleased as we should be even better next year. We still have a chance thisnyear if Price steps up and we stay healthy. (It would help if Crosby and Malkin are not as healthy).

Bergevin talking to the media right now in French. Main points:

- Satisfied from 23-7 record

- Deadline Day started 2 months ago. Today was only the buzzer.

- Lots of discussions, but proud where they are at now.

- Objective is making playoffs, so happy of where they are at now

More from Bergevin:

- Looking to improve the team, but also looking for years to come

- We have 6 choices in top 90. Those are very important picks for years to come. We didn't lose any of those picks

- No guarantee in hockey. (We can buy at the deadline and lose in the 1st round) Priority is making playoffs

- Yes glad of the good chemistry. It'd take a very bad piece to break it. It didn't prevent me from making a trade.

- Kaberle is an outstanding person. He is training hard and we never knows if we'll need him in the playoffs.

- About Kristo: Very good season, offensive talent, things to develop before going to the next level.

- You can never have too much dmen, if you want to go deep in the playoffs

- There is no contractual reasons behind the fact Kaberle isn't playing.

- 2nd journalists ask : "So it has nothing to do about buying him out?" Answer: "No, we evaluate other players, dmen in Hamilton". 3rd journalists: "It's not that you don't want him to get hurt?" Answer: "No, not at all. He played against the Islanders, so if we didn't wanted him to play he wouldn't have". 4th journalist: "so what's up with Kaberle.." Answer "blablaa.. those other dmen are getting evaluated, they are the future of the Habs"

Edited by sakiqc
added content - conference ongoing

Interesting info from Bergevin about Kaberle. We could see him back in the lineup.

I doubt it. He can't come out and say there's no way he is playing between now and the end of the year, the NHLPA will get involved like they started to with Gomez.