Avs and Flyers want Theo

Habby1197

Link : http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#82593

I am against trading Theodore (said it time and time again) , franchise goalies do not grow on trees , Garon is not ready to be a #1 ... Theodore is our team.

But for arguments sake ... this is what I would want to receive in a trade for him :

Flyers : Pitkanen , Gagne , 1st

Avs : Morris , 1st (04) , Tanguay

Of course the flyers/avs would never give up packages that big for Theodore , but thats my whole point... Its going to take a hell of a lot to get Theodore out of Montreal. I would not trade him for less (*flashback* painful memories of trading Roy for garbage)

I was defenitely for trading Theodore after his huge season, but not now.

He's off an average season (in Vezina winner standards), and is having media trouble right now. His market value is thus be affected, and you just dont trade a player in such circumstances... although 2 major high spending teams are looking for a number 1 goalie... so that could restore his fair value.

Considereing that we are not yet cup contenders, if the price is right (ex. Skoula, Tanguay, Boychuk, and 2 first rounders), then I could live with a Garon/Fichaud tandem. Otherwise, let's just keep Theo...

Message original : CerebusClones

I was defenitely for trading Theodore after his huge season, but not now.

He's off an average season (in Vezina winner standards), and is having media trouble right now. His market value is thus be affected, and you just dont trade a player in such circumstances... although 2 major high spending teams are looking for a number 1 goalie... so that could restore his fair value.

Considereing that we are not yet cup contenders, if the price is right (ex. Skoula, Tanguay, Boychuk, and 2 first rounders), then I could live with a Garon/Fichaud tandem. Otherwise, let's just keep Theo...

want it or not, theo has probably played his last game in the CH uniform. It will be very hard for him with all those circumtances

i don't think theo's value is affected by what his happening to him. This is the kind of situation where other GM understand why we want to trade him: not because we don't like him or we doesn'T believe anymore in him, but because it would be preferable for him to play on another town. He'll be more happy (probably) and play better.

I agree.. we are not Cup contender. AS "4 years plan" has expired.. the rebuild is not complete. But, i'm wondering what/how Bob Gainey will do, what he'll want. Will he trade our youngsters for veteran? or the reverse?

It wont be that hard for him. It will just be another test of his strength. Brodeur won the Cup while right in the middle of a divorce.

Well, you will always get more for a player when other GMs know (or at least believe) that you really want to hold on to him. We got very little for Roy because everyone knew that we pretty much had to trade him since he asked to be traded. So if other GMs feel that we want to let Theodore go because of the pressure he might have here, then they wont offer as much.. Im not saying it is the case right now, Im just talking in theory... I dont know if the other GMs even care or are aware of this whole stupid story that's been blown way out of proportion.

As for contention, Im saying that this year we will be a little better and we'll hopefully make the playoffs, next year we should make the playoffs for sure, the next we should finish in the top 5 of the conference, and the next in the top 3.

If you want an ironic view of the Theo situation...

Gainey said he'll get the best out the players we presently have... that trading the whole lineup wasn't going to happen.

And many guys we simply can't trade even if we wanted to.

I think Breezer, who looked like he was gone for sure, might end up staying... and all the focus on Theo this year might give Breezer the breathing room to "find" his game.

Also, with Komi/Rivet looking to get some decent ice-time... Breezer's exagerated minutes will be cut down to a level he can better handle, same goes for the situations in which he is used.

If they can bring his minutes down to under 20 minutes, play him on the PP and keep him away from the PK... he'll still be overpaid but he won't look half as bad.

Just a thought.

As for Theo himself... only trade him if you are sure Garon can be just as good and is ready to be just as good now.

If so, use this scandal as an excuse to trade him now.

If not... Theo stays no matter how many reporters show up at his door every day.

I say that for now I happen to think Garon will turn out to be as good as Theo, but we don't know that for a fact yet.

Both are under contract for a few years... let things play themselves out.

[Edited on 23-6-03 by Habs77]

Originally posted by sakiqc

want it or not, theo has probably played his last game in the CH uniform. It will be very hard for him with all those circumtances

I think your wrong. Theodore did not do anything wrong , its not his fault that his family is full of criminals ... he shouldnt be guilty be association.

Gainey/Boivin already said they will stand behind their goalie and not trade him (though I am the one who always says "never beleive anything management says") ...

What Brisebois did is worse then the mess that Theodore is in , and Brisebois hasnt been dealt yet ... So why should Jose?