Game 3, Habs vs Sens, 7 PM

dlbalr

I'm wondering if we'd be in this situation with Torres in the lineup. I believe his presence would have changed the dynamic, put less pressure on Prust and give confidence in Moen. Still mad at Bergevin for not pulling the trigger on him. We had to take advantage of those 2nd round picks.

• Upvote 1

Between White and Prust, we have two Torres-types in the lineup already. Not sure what a third would do. If this team can't beat Ottawa, then Raffi Torres is not enough to make us contenders, so I for one am glad we have the picks.

How can anybody blame Price for a loss where his team only scores 1 goal? Did he play great? No. Could he have stopped some of them? Yes. But my god, the offense hardly created anything at all. Until Carey goes down the ice and tees it up top corner to score, do not blame the goalie. This team has scored 1, 3, and 2 goals in each of their games. Not good enough, plain and simple.

How can anybody blame Price for a loss where his team only scores 1 goal? Did he play great? No. Could he have stopped some of them? Yes. But my god, the offense hardly created anything at all. Until Carey goes down the ice and tees it up top corner to score, do not blame the goalie. This team has scored 1, 3, and 2 goals in each of their games. Not good enough, plain and simple.

He let in a soft goal when we were trying to tie it up. I don't blame him for all of them, just the one that mattered. He keeps getting beat with wristers from the slot. He needs to stop those.

If you were expecting it to be easy to score on the sens you were mistaken. To win this series, we need to win close games. In game one we were up and Price imploded. In this game, we were only down one and another stoppable shot was by him. That is not elite goaltending.

He is not the only issue with the team, but he is the guy getting the big bucks and is suppose to be our franchise guy. If we are going to settle for average goaltending, we could save a lot of money.

Frankly, the team should be embarrassed. They were out skated, out worked, and out hit. Did they respond by skating harder, working harder, and hitting harder? No, they started slashing, taking cheap shots, and embarrassing themselves. If we watched Toronto or Boston play that way we would be all over them for being classless Neanderthals.

They acted like losers.

That was the worst hockey game I've ever attended.

By far.

I'd like to see Gionta and Pacioretty out of the lineup...both are useless at this point in time. Also, someone needs to sit down and have a long talk with PK about how to handle being targeted by the other team, because getting flustered and then running around and taking penalties that suck the life out of your team didn't work out so well tonight.

Its all about momentum. In game 2, Price would make a great save and the team could feel he was on his game, thus giving them confidence. When we were the ones laying the big hits , it was giving us confidence. Tonight it was the opposite. We were in my opinion mostly just rolling through the game when Price gave up the 3rd goal. Team loss for sure.

That was the worst hockey game I've ever attended.

By far.

I'd like to see Gionta and Pacioretty out of the lineup...both are useless at this point in time. Also, someone needs to sit down and have a long talk with PK about how to handle being targeted by the other team, because getting flustered and then running around and taking ###### penalties that suck the life out of your team didn't work out so well tonight

If we were going to goon it up I would have liked to see them in Anderson's face...not necessarily running him but getting into his grill and the way the bumping him the way the Sens were Price. I had a bad feeling last night as soon as PK got cross-checked in the face and then no call. My problem with the team is that the effort level was not there consistently. Refrees were highly inconsistent letting egregious penalties go and then phantom calls.

I have faith that the boys will bounce back again, but they need to change the bad game--good game--bad game--good game to a more consistent effort to win the series. Remember it isn't over till the Walrus sings.

Frankly, the team should be embarrassed. They were out skated, out worked, and out hit. Did they respond by skating harder, working harder, and hitting harder? No, they started slashing, taking cheap shots, and embarrassing themselves. If we watched Toronto or Boston play that way we would be all over them for being classless Neanderthals.

They acted like losers.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

• Upvote 1

Let me guess, it's skewed negatively towards Subban? We all know Stock has some sort of vendetta against Subban, not sure where it stems from though.

He's a half wit racist.

Don't really know what happened.

Was all good after 2 beers, only trailing by one, everything was possible.

Then, 3rd beer, 3-1, 4-1.

After that, all went wrong.

Moral of the story, don't drink next game? :P

The Little Guy Finally Pushes Back

by Tony Healey @T_Loc11

After watching and rewatching Game 3 of the Habs v Sens I am not disgusted nor ashamed of my Habs for there performance. Yes I can admit that we did get beat in most of the fights and got smoked in the score, but that is going to be just a small bump in the road for the overall playoff picture. For the first time in a long time I saw the frustration start to boil over and saw emotion in the Habs. Think of the emotionless crap hockey we have had to endure under Jaquecs Martin and Pierre Gauthier. The Habs never had a guy like Prust or would ever take a chance and play 1 let alone 2 young kids like Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Now we have excitement and a coach that seems to be a reformed hot head that for the most part has pushed the right buttons and let his team play with emotion. Michel Therrien has stood behind his players in the media and never really torn anybody a new asshole in public. He seems to be making a family out of the team and not just a group of players that are all in separate clicks that happen to get pay checks from the same place. Players are buying into the team first mentality with the exception of one that I suspect will not be on this team next year (Ryder).

Players want to play and defend each other. In Game 3 when Conacher, a young small player took a cheap shot at Prust he knew that Prust was not going to beat on him (Prust is not that guy to pick on a smaller defenseless player) Brendan "Gonads" Gallagher took it upon himself (as a rookie) in a game that was already out of hand to stick up for the guy that has been his defender the whole season and drop the gloves. Please tell me you would have seen Mike Cammalleri do that last year #thingspeopleneversay. Cammer would not have risked losing money for anybody. Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien are letting the young players play and the veterans lead. They are finding their own way to do things.

It’s a shortened season with effectively no training camp to build trust and bonds between players and new coaches. Now we have seen the decline in David Desharnais and Andrei Markov (I am pretty sure that you will find out that injuries might be behind this slide) but we are getting production from players like Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Brandon Prust, and Alexi Emelin (pre injury). This is a young team of core players that have a lot left to prove but are on the right path and seem to be proving themselves as a much faster rate than expected. That’s why last night was actually not as bad as it looked.

Montreal under past regimes would have just sat back and taken it ex: No retaliation on Chara for his hit on Max Pacioretty. Now granted we did not have a player like Prust that could defend his team mates as well as he can, but the fact is the staff was not looking for that kind of push back. We always got the same old look at the scoreboard we want to win and use the PP to win the game and not worry about revenge. I am so sick and tired of seeing guys on our team be taken out on stretchers or by being injured and not fighting back just so we could be on the PP. Sometimes you need to fight back. Brandon Prust can skate shoot pass and FIGHT. He isn't the heavyweight champion of the world but he is not scared to fight anybody (Except maybe John Scott and who can blame him the guy skates 3 min a game and is bigger than Chara). Truthfully if Prust wins or looses a fight or any Hab player for that matter it's of little importance. The other team will always think twice about playing that type of game when they know they will have to answer the bell against somebody that is not afraid and can sometimes get that punch in that could end a night for somebody.

Players feed off of guys that are not afraid of somebody else's toughness. That’s why Kaberle is so useless he looks scared of contact and it shows in the way he plays. When Eller got hit Galchenyuk was the nearest to Gryba and he did not think twice about mixing it up with Gryba even though he is 19 and not exactly huge or well versed in fighting.

Now that Gryba is back I wonder if somebody like Prust, Tinordi, Bourque, or White will take a run at him not it a dirty way but in a way that will make him think twice about shooting for the back shoulder of a defenseless player. It really doesn’t matter if they do or not the thought will be there. Gryba will know that it could come at anytime from a number of different players.

I am glad to see that Montreal put up a fight last night and said that hey we will not be pushed around and we will go into the trenches and fight dirty if need be. I say its like any smaller than average player on any sports team that needs to earn respect. I feel the team is taking on the image of Brendan Gallagher and Brian Gionta little guys that have always had to fight for respect just because they were small. They both have had to be the tougher than almost anybody else otherwise they never would have made it to the NHL or in the NHL (David Desharnais seems to have lost that). Montreal doesn’t have to win every fight they just needed to show that they were willing to fight. That is what last night showed me and it showed the Senators and every other teams that you can just run rough shot over us. Montreal is not going to lay down and take it anymore. I am generally happy with the way the ship is headed and hope that this continues as a theme while they are building toward the future.

I know that a lot of you are going to say I am overly optimistic but you never know what will happen in the future. I am hoping that we can add a Bryan Bickell in FA this summer and giving Prust some back up might just what this team needs. I feel I have been a hater for too long with the tenure of Gauthier and Martin so I think that the change that Bergevin and Therrien have brought can be viewed as nothing but positive for now. If you think I am on the right track please let me know if not please let me know I want to hear your opinions! #PlantHabs #GoHabsGo!

The Little Guy Finally Pushes Back

by Tony Healey @T_Loc11

After watching and rewatching Game 3 of the Habs v Sens...

I agree with your sentiment and certainly have not given up on the Habs. One game does not a series make. That said, last night's 3rd period was indeed an embarrassment in terms of play as well as the ridiculous rough stuff. Good on the boys for playing with raw emotion and venting a bit after the game was out of reach, but that crap really has very little to do with winning hockey games. And we are damn lucky Bourque didn't get suspended fro that stupid elbow he threw. Boston winning the cup as a tough team was the exception, not the rule. Most winners focus on scoring goals. Violence on the ice has precious little to do with talent or winning. It's embarrassing to get physically spanked like last night and I guess I can understand that some people think the solution is more size and toughness, but that game was lost on poor defensive coverage and goal tending in the late second and early third.

I also totally disagree on your analysis of the turn around this season. New coaching and management have something to do with it, but they have also made mistakes - not using PK on the PK (the kid should be playing 28-30mins a night - he's a stallion), over-playing Markov, and signing and resigning Bouillon being the most egregious imo. But really this is mostly a team that Gainey, Gauthier and Timmins built. Prust has been a great addition, but he is great because he, like Chris Neal, can actually play hockey as well as play tough. Toughness we have enough of, especially with Tinordi en route. Emelin's injury is unfortunate in this regard as hitting effectively during a game is actually the most important part of toughness.

For the most part violence in hockey is not a key part of a winning mentality or strategy. It's a side show mostly saved for times when games are out of reach. Like last night.

don't drink any beer during the next game. It seemd some of our players may have had a few during the 2nd intermission.

don't drink any beer during the next game. It seemd some of our players may have had a few during the 2nd intermission.

yeah I think they they got into the whiskey.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I suspected the game was going to end like it did after the first 10 minutes or so. IMHO it all started with the Greening shot to Subban when Subban was trying to check Greening. Subban was going in for a hard hit and Greening lead with his hands and stick. Now while this is minor and happens from time to time, the problem was the ref, whom was standing 10 feet away looking directly at it, didn't call it. Less and a minute later I believe it was Neil who slew-footed Price, again with a ref standing 10 feet from it. To all the players and coaches, they saw the refs were going to be real loose with the calls, it set a tone. If they can do it to us, we can do it to them. Ottawa continued with this behavior and Montreal started. Then it all went south. The reason being the refs didn't want Montreal to be giving the retaliation, so they started to call Montreal for everything, then Ottawa got out of hand, and the refs called Ottawa for everything. Then nobody could get their frustration out on anyone, so it blew up. the refs really needed to either let them play or call it tight, not start one then do the other.

This was coupled with the fact the Habs didn't come to play last night. Making dumb plays, trying to pass though players when a better option was open. Not forechecking, and everyone avoided the front of the net like a plague. How many times last night did we see 2 at the point, 2 below the goal line and 1 floating at the top of the circles? Then the puck would get sent to the front of the net for the guy who wasn't there? I can remember after the first 2 periods when they announced the shot total for that period and just looking at the TV like a dummy. No way in hell we were keeping up with Ottawa in shots. I think Pacioretty and Gionta should of stayed out of the lineup, as we clearly did better with checkers in the game. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but DD really really needs his ice-time limited or sitting out. The only time I notice him lately is when he's being thrown out of the faceoff dot. That goes for all 3 games so far. Ryder isn't playing any better, making foolish mistakes like skating the puck to his teammates.

Game 3 we need to come out hitting hard and hitting clean. Get our forecheck working again and make smart decisions with the puck. Three simple things that we weren't doing last game, but we did in Game 2.

/rant