Offseason changes Required

hab29RETIRED

While the regular season exceeded all my expectations, I can't watch this game anymore, may as well look ahead to off season changes we should be making. Clearly, some major changes are needed.

Key changes needed:

-Tougher D

-More net drive from forwards

-Stronger centres

Guys I don't want back:

-DD

-Kaberle

-Moen

-Bouillon

-Gorges

-Armstrong

-Halpern

-Ryder

-Gionta (couldn't be moved until he recovers)

That leaves a lot of spots on the lineup.

Unfortunately, the only guy who probably has any value is Gorges. I wonder if we could package him and Moen and a pick for a guy like Pajaarvi from Edmonton.

If we can dump the guys i don't want back, guys to build around:

Galchenyuk - Eller -Gallagher

Bourque - Pleks - MaxPac

EMPTY SPOT - EMPTY SPOT- EMPTY SPOT

Prust - White - EMPY SPOT

Emelin - Subban

Tinordi - Markov

EMPTY - EMPTY SPOT

Young kids who may be ready to take the next step sometime during the next year (shouldn't rush any of them):

-Bealieau

-Kristo

-Leblanc

Guys I want gone no matter what:

Desharnais

Gionta

If it means paying Kaberle to sit in the pressbox to get rid of Gionta, I am perfectly okay with that.

Guys I want gone no matter what:

Desharnais

Gionta

If it means paying Kaberle to sit in the pressbox to get rid of Gionta, I am perfectly okay with that.

both have 1 year left on their deals and you want Gionta bought out instead of Kaberle???? The guy who scored 14 goals???

9 players gone... why stop there... why not trade everyone?

Actually - 10. I forgot Weber.

4 are givens - Kaberle, Ryder, Armstrong, Halpern.

-DD showed how useless he is.

-Bouillon and Gorges were over-matched most of the series and for defensive dman, neither can clear the net.

-If we don't move Moen now, no way we are going to get rid of him, when he is another year older with 2 more years left.

-I doubt if we could even move Gionta.

-of the group, Diaz is the only guy i'd give a chance to return.

both have 1 year left on their deals and you want Gionta bought out instead of Kaberle???? The guy who scored 14 goals???

If he stays, then at least strip him of his captaincy. It's embarassing.

Well one change I would like to see is Markovs ice time managed better. In this shortened season, he came out fast and faded badly. I don't believe we can use him as a time eating work horse next season. It'll kill him.

As for the other changes mentioned above, some are no brainers, but obviously we won't be trading 9 or 10 guys away, Alot of those guys listed may be on borrowed time, but no way theyre all gone

• Upvote 1

Why?

Please, indulge me.

It botheres me that the captain of the Canadiens is an overpaid has-been who goes through the motions ineffectively most nights.

It botheres me that the captain of the Canadiens is an overpaid has-been who goes through the motions ineffectively most nights.

Oh dear.

It's like Saku Koivu all over again.

Could Hab fans stop recycling the same crap they said in years prior and make some new stuff up to say?

• Upvote 1

Well one change I would like to see is Markovs ice time managed better. In this shortened season, he came out fast and faded badly. I don't believe we can use him as a time eating work horse next season. It'll kill him.

As for the other changes mentioned above, some are no brainers, but obviously we won't be trading 9 or 10 guys away, Alot of those guys listed may be on borrowed time, but no way theyre all gone

I don't think we would be trading all of them away. Ryder, Armstrong, Halpern i believe are UFA's. Kaberle is a buyout. I wish we hadn't rushed to resign Bouillon and Budaj, as i don't think there would have been much of a market for them anyways.

I agree about Markov's ice time. MT is still treating him as the best dman on the team, rather then Subban. Keeping Markov in that 18 minute range would help him.

Oh dear.

It's like Saku Koivu all over again.

Could Hab fans stop recycling the same crap they said in years prior and make some new stuff up to say?

Lets not compare Gionta to Koivu. There is no comparison. Koivu should NEVER have been let go.

Lets not compare Gionta to Koivu. There is no comparison. Koivu should NEVER have been let go.

Gionta captained us much farther than Koivu ever did. He's also been much better with the younger players. Gionta wears that C with a lot more shine. Swallow your pride on it.

He does need to be managed better.

I also think he'll naturally be better next year due to the fact he'll have better endurance. don't forget he played 20 games over 2 seasons before this.... This year KHL and NHL he played almost 75 games.

Gionta captained us much farther than Koivu ever did. He's also been much better with the younger players. Gionta wears that C with a lot more shine. Swallow your pride on it.

I disliked Saku Koivu...to say the least, and even I laugh at the notion that Gionta 'wears the C with more shine'. He was a terrible signing, and he keeps getting worse.

Gionta has been a Hab for 4 seasons.

In 2 of those seasons he led the team in goals.

This season he was third, but just one goal behind the two guys (Patch and Gallagher) who led the team.

Last season he missed half the year.

TERRIBLE SIGNING!

TERRIBLE SIGNING!

Brings a rookie in to live with him, we've had none of the "clique" behaviour we had during Koivu's captaincy and he broke down crying when told he had to get surgery because that's how bad he wanted to play on a team down 3-1 in the quarter finals.

Terrible captain!

I think it's clear that this team isn't built for the playoffs. We are TOO SMALL up front. When 4 of your top 6 forwards are 5'10" and under, you're gonna have a hard time...and it gets harder as the season progresses.

Desharnais - 5'6"

Gionta - 5'7"

Gallagher - 5'9"

PLekanec - 5'10"

(let's not forget that the Canadiens are well known to give their players an extra inch on their stats!!! )

Ive'said it before and i'll say it again, I don't mind having some small players on your team. If you have a small centre, then you HAVE to make sure that your wingers are BIG! You can't have two small players on the same line, cause then you get pushed around alot, and lets face it. When a 5'7" guy runs into a 6'3" guy, the smaller guy is gonna end up on his ass 80% of the time. Add that over a period of 7 months and 82 games, and fatigue starts to set in at the most crucial time(the playoffs).

UNlike some people here, i don't think we have to clean house, but I do believe we need some bigger players up front. If you can trade a Gionta or a Desharnais, go for it. Keep Gallagher and Pleky, they are good players. I'm sick of seeing the Habs get pushed around by bigger players all the time!

Lastly, i've been a Carey Price fan from the moment he was drafted in the summer of 2005, however over the past 6 weeks, i have to say that i've been more and more worried. Every time the other team is about to take a slap shot from the point, I cringe, because i believe the puck will go in. I sincerely hope that Carey has the mental fortitude to withstand the barrage of negative comments he will receive over the next few days and weeks. I KNOW he has the talent to be a top 5 goalie in the league, what i'm worried about is, is he tough enough between the ears to be the number One goalie in the toughest market in the world???? I sincerely hope he does.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'd like to point out that i'm not asking to have Carey traded out of Montreal...I just think that he should see a sports shrink to help him out with the Mental toughness of the game!

I'm pretty sure all the UFA's will be gone (Armstrong, Halpern, Ryder, Drewiske, Nokelainen). I'm also pretty confident that Weber won't be qualified so he's gone. Kaberle will be bought out - so that's 7 guys ejected. That's a start.

Not sure what to do about Desharnais, he really disappointed this year. If he can be traded then so be it.

My money is on MB signing 2-3 UFA's with Clowe at the top of the list.

And Habs still need to get tougher on D.

I'm pretty sure all the UFA's will be gone (Armstrong, Halpern, Ryder, Drewiske, Nokelainen). I'm also pretty confident that Weber won't be qualified so he's gone. Kaberle will be bought out - so that's 7 guys ejected. That's a start.

Not sure what to do about Desharnais, he really disappointed this year. If he can be traded then so be it.

My money is on MB signing 2-3 UFA's with Clowe at the top of the list.

And Habs still need to get tougher on D.

I agree I think all of the UFAs are gone and you can toss in Kaberle to the mix.

As for Desharnais I think he will get the Cole treatment next year. They will ignore what he did this year and see how he performs early on next year. If his performance continues like this year and Eller breaks out I can see him moved during the year.

Again I agree I think Clowe (if healthy) will be a target but overall you can expect them to sign someone similar to Prust. They will probably give up some offense on Ryder to get tougher physically to play. Have to assume they are counting on increased offensive production from Eller/Galchenyuk/Gallagher and for Pacioretty to go a week without an injury/illness.

I also believe they will sign a physical defensemen which would allow Tinordi to play 20+ minutes a game in the AHL. This would also allow them to use bouillon as a 7d when Emelin is back.

Lastly I wouldn’t be shocked to see them already begin talking to Subban about an extension. Might not sign in off season but at least set up the framework where they can get it done during the year.

Rather than talk about "getting rid" of guys, we should be thinking in terms of team needs. And frankly there aren't that many. So I reject the premise that *major* changes are required.

We need an upgrade on Desharnais until such time as Galchenyuk can play C. So we're talking a 1-2 year stopgap.

We will also need to replace Ryder. A Raffi Torres would be nice too.

On D, we need one more rugged D-man to spell off Emelin. Tinordi should become that guy given time, but this might be another case where a 1-2 year stopgap is in order.

Other than that, I like where we're headed.

I know things look nauseating right now, but the fact is we have a lot to be optimistic about. Eller, Subban, Patches, Galy, Gally, and yes, Price - is a bloody good young nucleus. Not even factoring in Beaulieu and Tinordi. This playoff was a learning experience and will make us stronger in the long run.

I think Desharnais will be hard to move for any decent return. Not many will be willing to take on a 3.5 million dollar cap hit for a small one dimensional player who just had a bad season. Is it worth moving him now or better to wait? I mean his value probably won't get worse than what it is now.