Offseason changes Required

hab29RETIRED

Torres, Clarkson, Cooke and Clowe are some interesting UFAs to look at.

Gionta imo needs to go, make room for the youngsters. He was a good captain, has heart, but isn't close to playing like he used to.

My priority would be Ryane Clowe but he will probably be too expensive. I would go for Clarkson and Torres. Our forwards would look something like this:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Bourque

Gallagher-Eller-Galchenyuk

Moen-Desharnais-Prust

Clarkson-White-Torres

As for defense:

Subban-Markov

Tinordi-Gorges

Diaz-Bouillon

Once Emelin comes back, I think we should try and deal Bouillon and maybe trading Markov if Beaulieu is ready to come up to the big leagues.

In nets:

Price

Budaj

Price is still our #1 but I believe he needs to raise his game to a whole new level this year...

There's no way Clarkson comes here to play on the 4th line. He's in for some money, an overpayment if anything. As far as Hudon and Collberg, Kristo even, they're more of the same - long haired shrimps who play perimeter hockey.

Also, don't know how likely it is, but am I the only one who would love to see Stephen Weiss in a Habs jersey? He's not big exactly but 6'0 instead of 5'6 sounds good.

I have season tickets down here and Weiss wants to stay in Florida. Weiss is no cigar, he's a downgrade from Plekanec.

Here is an idea. let's take the team that finished 2nd in the east and blow it up!! Brilliant idea!!! Maybe we can finish last in the east again next season!! Reading lots of stupid comments from people who are talking out of dismay at the early playoff picture and are not seeing the big picture. This isn't EA Sports. Go have a drink, maybe six, come back and post once you are sober and have really thought this through. Just ask yourselves what happens if we let 9 players walk as someone suggested and no free agents sign here. Where do we place next season then? Or worse yet if all we can sign are guys nobody else wants. We placed at the top of a league for a reason, we had a bad spell for a little over a month at the wrong time. Washington had theirs early. I bet they are glad now they didn't blow up the team. Get a grip, chill the $%^!@ out, smoke one if you need to. This team is not 9 players away from contention, and if you don't believe me ask yourself how you felt two months back.

All I'll say is the 2nd place team just lost in the first round in 5 games. Habs are simply not built for the playoffs. Regular season means nothing.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'd like to point out that i'm not asking to have Carey traded out of Montreal...I just think that he should see a sports shrink to help him out with the Mental toughness of the game!

This. Price has the talent, skill and mechanics to possibly be the best goalie in the league. But he needs to get his head sorted out, as right now we never know which Carey Price will show up for any given game. And once he gets into a funk it can take a long time to get out of it.

And this doesn't even require a trade or cost any cap room.

I hope we draft a decent goalie... Kind of like Boston did with Subban... We need better prospects in goal for 5 years out.

Antti Raanta is available with no draft required. 23, never drafted. Won the Finnish league championship this year with a stellar performance (9 shutouts in 61 games, about .950 save percentage). Currently playing for Finland in the world championships. Could make a great backup to challenge Price, at a reasonable cost, or do so after a few years of seasoning in the AHL.

I will agree it is time to draft some size. Collberg, Hudon and Kristo are all listed at 5 11. Small but not smurfs. Gionta is great with the young guys, that is what makes him a good captain for this team. Therrien is great with youth so same goes there. A good captain and team leader is worth how much? Pay him, let him finish his contract. Shorten his minutes as guys surpass him. Let him carry the torch for now and pass it on when his contract runs out.

I want to see nothing drastic. Yes we have to let some guys go who we knew were leaving. That has nothing to do with the first round exit. Here is a question. How many of you think that Ottawa actually out played us and how many think we just ran up against a goalie who is having a bizarre year and stood on his head? We beat the crap out of them almost every game and should have beaten them in 4 of the 5 games. We out played them and had far more scoring chances. We got stoned by a hot goalie who got into our heads. That doesn't mean we aren't a playoff team.

I will also say that most of you who are calling for DD's head will do the same next year to one or more of the kids when they have a down 2nd season. You know we should expect a crap season out of at least one of them. Doesn't mean they don't snap back. Don't live in the now.

Anyone can build a team that wins a cup but great men build dynasties. We have a great young team with a good bunch coming behind them, including 2 goalie prospects vs none at the beginning of the season. Tons of picks this year in a deep draft can only be good.

Remember who I am guys. Remember my post when we blew a season final to Toronto in 07? I am one you would expect to be livid, but I am not. I like what I see. I like what I saw for the most part in the playoffs.

Antti Raanta is available with no draft required. 23, never drafted. Won the Finnish league championship this year with a stellar performance (9 shutouts in 61 games, about .950 save percentage). Currently playing for Finland in the world championships. Could make a great backup to challenge Price, at a reasonable cost, or do so after a few years of seasoning in the AHL.

A back up goalies job is not to challenge the starter. That should never be the case. Goalies think like me, as I was one, not like normal people. The need to know their role on a team and feel secure. Back up is a tough role, not the best for a young goalie. You get thrown into games at the worst time, Get starts against weak teams that your team is more likely to slack against and have to sit in the aisle in some rinks. Sucky gig, better for a mature guy who is comfortable playing not so often.

Raanta would be a good depth signing though, Love having goalies in the system.

This. Price has the talent, skill and mechanics to possibly be the best goalie in the league. But he needs to get his head sorted out, as right now we never know which Carey Price will show up for any given game. And once he gets into a funk it can take a long time to get out of it.

And this doesn't even require a trade or cost any cap room.

He needs to see a shrink and find a trigger to put him back into the zone. Plain and simple, hypnotise him and give him a trigger to snap back into it. Just a thought... It is so hard to not think back on a missed play. I see him thinking about the last goal of almost goal right before the other team scores all the time. He has to grow beyond that. He has to learn to put it behind him right away.

There's no way Clarkson comes here to play on the 4th line. He's in for some money, an overpayment if anything. As far as Hudon and Collberg, Kristo even, they're more of the same - long haired shrimps who play perimeter hockey.

Clarkson wouldn't necessarily play on the 4th line. He led the Devils in goals and was above 17 minutes per game in ice time. He scored 30 goals a year ago. I'd love to see Prust play with either Gallagher or Galchenyuk and Clarkson play with the other G-man.

He does need to be managed better.

I also think he'll naturally be better next year due to the fact he'll have better endurance. don't forget he played 20 games over 2 seasons before this.... This year KHL and NHL he played almost 75 games.

Yeah. Having nearly a full season under his belt this year will be good for him going into next year. He was healthy and stayed that way, which is critical. By the time it became apparent that his minutes needed to be limited late in the season, Emelin went down and that was no longer a possibility.

Honestly, we don't need any drastic roster changes going it next year. Some tinkering, sure, but let's not forget how well this team played most of the season. The wheels falling off at the end are not indicative of what this team is. To me the biggest issue is that Therrien needs to hand out minutes more wisely. The clearest example is that Eller clearly should have been getting more ice time than Desharnais by the end of the season. He was playing great and Desharnais just didn't seem the same after he signed the new deal.

All I'll say is the 2nd place team just lost in the first round in 5 games. Habs are simply not built for the playoffs. Regular season means nothing.

other than how you get to the playoffs, try finishing last and see how that works oh yeah I forgot we did that last year.

While the regular season exceeded all my expectations, I can't watch this game anymore, may as well look ahead to off season changes we should be making. Clearly, some major changes are needed.

Key changes needed:

-Tougher D

-More net drive from forwards

-Stronger centres

Guys I don't want back:

-DD

-Kaberle

-Moen

-Bouillon

-Gorges

-Armstrong

-Halpern

-Ryder

-Gionta (couldn't be moved until he recovers)

I agree with the first part of your post, but I think your frustration got the better of you with some of the players on the list:

-DD: didn't have great playoffs, but he will be ok if he has two big wingers to get him the puck. If not, his contract is not unreasonable as to make him untradeable.

-Kaberle: certaintly will be bought out

-Moen: a serviceable player in his role, not sure why you dislike him so much?

-Bouillon: excellent 6th/7 defender signed for next year at a reasonable rate. What's not to like?

-Gorges: Not his best season. Potentially in decline but unless he is part of a deal for better D, why move him? He provides valuable leadership on a young team.

-Armstrong: FA, probably not re-signed

-Halpern: I would really like to see him back given how the team struggled to replace him last time they failed to sign him as a UFA. That said, if he is not signed it would mean MB has a PLAN to shore up the penalty killling/4th line.

-Ryder: Probably too expensive as an UFA. However, while I am disappointed--to put it mildly-- at his playoff performance, I wouldn't mind seeing him re-signed at a reasonable rate( same or less than he is getting now on a 2-3 year deal). I don't claim that my idea of reasonable is likely on the UFA market :rolleyes:

-Gionta (couldn't be moved until he recovers). Simply put, the man tried to play through a torn bicep! to help his team win. You simply do NOT trade your heart and soul captain unless he is part of a blockbuster where the other team is getting owned. This is a young team and needs a strong, veteran presence to lead by example.

If you have tons of young talent and no effective veteran leadership, you get the Oilers. I trust that MB will stay true to his vision of the TEAM--hence his extensions to players like Bullion and Budaj-- and there will be no more than a 10-20% turnover on the roster. Some the guys you have listed like Kaberle and Ryder are almost certainly gone. Others such as Armstrong and Halpern depend on what MB sees as their potential replacements.The other guys like Gorges and Gio almost certainly aren't going anywhere--barring one hell of a one-sided trade in our favor-- as they form the nucleus of the team's leadership group that has done such a good job initiating our current crop of young players into the league.

Personally, the MB & MT tandem has worked out far beyond my expectations. It would be highly counter-productive to blow up this roster. We need a few additional pieces-- and some luck with injuries in the playoffs-- to get to the elite level, not another re-build. :gohabsgo:

I disliked Saku Koivu...to say the least, and even I laugh at the notion that Gionta 'wears the C with more shine'. He was a terrible signing, and he keeps getting worse.

Uh...you do know that he tried to play with one arm in a effort to help the team? You disliked Koivu? What is your problem? Both of these guys are heart and soul warriors which is what most teams want from their Captain. Who would you suggest take Gio's place? :bonk:

Uh...you do know that he tried to play with one arm in a effort to help the team? You disliked Koivu? What is your problem? Both of these guys are heart and soul warriors which is what most teams want from their Captain. Who would you suggest take Gio's place? :bonk:

Exactly. The captain doesn't need to be the best player on the team, but he needs to be a leader, on and off the ice. Both Koivu and Gionta fit this description. Gainey was a captain for eight years, and Carbo for five, and neither was ever in danger of leading the team in scoring. (Cournoyer was still captain when I started following the Habs ...)

Interesting comments. I think the first thing you have to do is establish where we are as a team. Can you identify the anomaly? Are we the team that finished second overall in the conference or are we the team that got ousted in five games despite having home field advantage?

Interesting comments. I think the first thing you have to do is establish where we are as a team. Can you identify the anomaly? Are we the team that finished second overall in the conference or are we the team that got ousted in five games despite having home field advantage?

Neither. We are the team Anderson shut down. Plain and simple. He stoned us in game one, got in the players heads and won the series. Everyone has to accept that. We out played the Sens, Anderson outplayed us. It happens this time of year. Should Pittsburg have retooled after Halak beat them? No.

this whole thread seems like one big overreaction.

honestly a lot of these comments seem to be made looking at the stat line and not from watching the games.

someone said Bouillion can't push people from the crease... which is comical because he was the only guy other then Tinordi on the blueline doing it in the playoffs.

the hate on Moen is another "i didn't actually watch the game" comment because he never does anything wrong plus he is one of our more physical players... perfect fourth line guy.

about DD. He was invisible, but somehow ended up being +1 while Gallagher (who i love) was -7, i know this stat is screwy but when there is that much discrepency between people on the same line, there has to be a reason. Yes DD is supposed to produce offensively. But his shooter had a bum arm which obviously won't help his stat line. At the same time he doesn't hit like Gally does so you don't see him. I thought he did a good coming back lifting sticks, stealing the puck, sneaking in and taking it from the boards. Same as Patches, who did nothing offensively, but back checked hard to try and compensate and did try to make chances.

we are a team that doesn't play well against a big Defensive group. Teams like the Bruins, Leafs, and now the Sens have a very large and physical D core. (Methot was a beast against us).

No bodies in front of the net and Anderson between the pipes = out in five games.

our own D group is the exact opposite of this; Smallish, skilled guys.

I dont mean to sound like a broken record but we need to add skilled size in every position. Until that happens we wont be able to really compete in the playoffs.

I continue to think the situation requires minor tweaks to a strong core. The one real hole in the core is a Cole/Ryder replacement. That will have to be addressed.

The top need other than that is a big, strong bottom-pairing defenceman. Bouillon is OK, but if he is your top crease-clearer you have a problem. I keep thinking Shane O'Brien, but maybe the smorgasborg of great food, great bars, and great women in Montreal would be too much for him.

I'm just tossing this out there, but Keith Ballard will be available after being bought out by the Canucks...is this something to consider, or is he done?

An upgrade on Desharnais will be required if we wish to contend next season. Otherwise, we can just wait for Galy.

Habs29's initial post was clearly an overreaction. But as always, I love his passion for the team and share his frustration when things go wrong.

I don't get the hate against Moen? He's a fourth liner, he could have fought more, but if you don't notice a fourth liner that's a good thing. One suggestion I would make is to start drafting some bigger forwards. We've addressed the size issue on d with picks and trades for Dietz, Tinordi and Pateryn, but we keep drafting "fireplugs" like Collberg and Hudon. My concern is that at least three of our picks are going to be long haired shrimps from the Q.

Guy LaFleur was a long haired shrimp from the Q, just sayin.... and how tall are you to call 5 11 a shrimp? I stand 6' and am taller than most Canadian men. Oh and to repeat, we are the same size Chicago and they seem to be a playoff team so far...

I don't get the hate against Moen? He's a fourth liner, he could have fought more, but if you don't notice a fourth liner that's a good thing. One suggestion I would make is to start drafting some bigger forwards. We've addressed the size issue on d with picks and trades for Dietz, Tinordi and Pateryn, but we keep drafting "fireplugs" like Collberg and Hudon. My concern is that at least three of our picks are going to be long haired shrimps from the Q.

There may actually be two big bodied Q players available to Montreal in Gauthier and Mantha. Neither are perfect players but both are very good picks between 15 and 25.

Montreal hasn't drafted a first rounder under 6" in a pretty long time. Unless I missed someone, the last guy we drafted under 6" was Saku Koivu in 1993. We have drafted a few guys at 6" (Chris Higgins) but that's it.

Collberg was a second rounder who fell out of the first round. Gotta take him. Hudon was a fifth round pick. If we stopped taking small players with skill once we get to the fifth round, we might miss on a Calder Trophy candidate ;)

We certainly do need more size up front in our system. What I wouldn't mind seeing is Montreal getting a really low pick for nothing and taking a guy who dropped hard like Justin Auger. Massive guy who sometimes shows some decent skating ability. He'll either bust or become a big bodied bruiser. When you're in the low picks, that's better than taking 5'9" Justin Kloos.

I would point out that at somepoint in the season pretty much everyone on the roster was the target for somebodies wrath. I wouldn't worry too much, if your particular player isn't getting too much love. Secondly,if there is somebody out there that isn't pulling the sled, other Gm's will have likely noticed, before you, making them improbable to move.

Agreed on Clarkson, he's a top 6 player, who scored 30 goals last season, and 14 this year (on pace for more than 25). You sign him to be a top 6 player.

Hudon doesn't play perimeter hockey and neither does Kristo. And at 5'11" they aren't exactly shrimps in the same category as DD and Gionta.