Offseason changes Required

hab29RETIRED

Gallagher is awesome. An excellent young forward. His grit and skills outweigh his stature. But I think big skilled centres are harder to come by than goal scoring wingers. Eller and Galchenyuk are the key there. And Patches is our best forward for years to come. The thing about Gallagher is that his value is super-high because of his rookie year. But he is concussion prone and that might be a long-term issue. If you can get the likes of Hedman for a package that includes Gally, Gorges and picks, you have to do it, imho.

This addresses a need that can help make the Habs a true contender immediately, while Markov is still productive, without selling the farm. I can see why some might want to put Gallagher on an untouchables list, but I think that would be a mistake.

I think you're overrating Patches - I haven't seen anything out of him to say that he's going to be an all-star, or our best forward (if we're to be a contender). Sure, he had a great year last year, but so did Desharnais and Cole, and we finished 15th. This season was a pattern of skating to the outside to take a sharp-angle wrister. His point totals on the year were deceptive (as with Desharnais); most of the time, he wasn't the spark on the line, and wasn't much of a factor on the ice. I think he could have a bounce-back year, but he's not our best forward, or we're screwed. Thankfully, he's paid properly as a top 6 winger - not a first line star - and he has time to improve.

Lots of people here seem to think we could get Franson for cheap; he's practically the de facto #1 for the Leafs with Phaneuf's inevitable struggles, and teams don't let those types of D men go for a song.

I do like your idea of trading major assets for a top level D man, and I agree that Gallagher's value is high right now. With his playing style and concussion history (had them in junior before suffering one this year), he may not be the type of player to be in the lineup consistently and to improve very much on his rookie year. But I love him too much to want him traded, and surround him with other physical players and he's a lightning rod.

I think you're overrating Patches - I haven't seen anything out of him to say that he's going to be an all-star, or our best forward (if we're to be a contender). Sure, he had a great year last year, but so did Desharnais and Cole, and we finished 15th. This season was a pattern of skating to the outside to take a sharp-angle wrister. His point totals on the year were deceptive (as with Desharnais); most of the time, he wasn't the spark on the line, and wasn't much of a factor on the ice. I think he could have a bounce-back year, but he's not our best forward, or we're screwed. Thankfully, he's paid properly as a top 6 winger - not a first line star - and he has time to improve.

Lots of people here seem to think we could get Franson for cheap; he's practically the de facto #1 for the Leafs with Phaneuf's inevitable struggles, and teams don't let those types of D men go for a song.

I do like your idea of trading major assets for a top level D man, and I agree that Gallagher's value is high right now. With his playing style and concussion history (had them in junior before suffering one this year), he may not be the type of player to be in the lineup consistently and to improve very much on his rookie year. But I love him too much to want him traded, and surround him with other physical players and he's a lightning rod.

Finally some rationality on this topic - thank you Neech.

I agree about Franson. Not quite as hard to get as Hedman perhaps, and therefore perhaps more realistic. And YES, I would give Gallagher to get him. This is exactly this kind of sentimentality that a good GM needs to see past and make moves while players values are at their highest: "But I love him too much to want him traded"

Agree to disagree on Patches - I'd say he was the 10th highest scoring left winger in the league this season (ahead of the likes of Parise, Marleau, Kane, Skinner, Van R, Neal, Lucic and Marchand, etc - he was ahead of almost all those guys last season too) IN SPITE of reduced minutes per game and being weighed down by playing with DD, who is not a future top six centre, imo. He is a possession driving force who is strong on the puck with a laser shot. One of the 10 best power forwards in the league right now and for many years to come.

For a balanced review of Patches as a Fenwick and shots per 60 monster, see this EotP article from earlier in the season: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/3/25/4145212/2013-habs-half-season-review-max-pacioretty

The piece speaks to your point about looking less impressive this year, with the opening three paragraphs addressing the point directly. This summary comes near the end:

It's a difficult thing to evaluate Max Pacioretty, because he's hurt by his own previous dominance. We all expect great things from him, and he's playing in a role that he's probably too good to be playing. One of the results of this is that sometimes it looks like Pacioretty gets a little bit lazy. He's by far the best left winger the Canadiens have...

I don't think Gallagher is untouchable, and I agree that his concussion history is a concern. That said, he has had enormous success at every level, and he is one of the biggest reasons why this team took a huge jump forward this season: he was a key to giving us three lines that could score. Get rid of him and suddenly we may find ourselves bitching about the Habs' lack of offensive depth. It's possible that this season represents his peak, but we have to recognize that most players get better as they progress in their careers, not worse - scary as it sounds, then, the probabilities are that Gally is just scratching the surface.

If Gally was 6'1 and getting exactly the same results, nobody would dream of trading him.

I also think that, in terms of the wider organizational structure, we seem to have much higher-end prospects on D than at FW in the system. Beaulieu and Tinordi both project to be pretty good defencemen. So rather than trade away Gallagher for immediate help on the back end, in the longer view we are probably better off keeping Gallagher and waiting for those guys to emerge. That's why you develop young players, after all - to keep them on your team, not to trade them away for more expensive older players the minute they have some success.

I think you're overrating Patches

I also think that he overrates Max Pac.

Galchenyuk will be our best forwart for years to come. Starting Game 1 of next preseason.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this... I guess I'm watching a different league... I had no idea that trading for Hedman would instantly make us a contender... He must be really good.

I know who Victor Hedman is. I know he was drafted 2nd overall and I also know he has the potential to be a solid (very) defenseman since I've watched him play since his junior days. But if people think you're overrating Pacioretty, then I think you're grossly overrating Hedman. He is a career minus player so I'm not sure how that really translates into providing us with the type of defenseman that would instantly make us a contender... something that you've constantly been repeating in your posts.

This is a discussion forum so feel free to keep talking about this scenario, but it will never happen. Gallagher is not going anywhere.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this... I guess I'm watching a different league... I had no idea that trading for Hedman would instantly make us a contender... He must be really good.

I know who Victor Hedman is. I know he was drafted 2nd overall and I also know he has the potential to be a solid (very) defenseman since I've watched him play since his junior days. But if people think you're overrating Pacioretty, then I think you're grossly overrating Hedman. He is a career minus player so I'm not sure how that really translates into providing us with the type of defenseman that would instantly make us a contender... something that you've constantly been repeating in your posts.

This is a discussion forum so feel free to keep talking about this scenario, but it will never happen. Gallagher is not going anywhere.

I agree Gallagher isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Bergevin is trying to juggle building a team that can compete now but be even better in the future. So in that situation you don't trade away 21 year old potential 25+ goal scorers in a cap league when he's got a cap hit of 870k for 2 more years. I expect Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher to be part of the teams main core going forward. I'd put Price in there but I'm looking at 2+ years down the road and you never know with goalies in Montreal.

As for Hedman keep in mind his best games this year were against the Habs.

When you look at our team, you have Subban who is a young defenceman. You have Emelin and Diaz who are relatively young. You have Gorges who is signed for 5 more years. You have Tinordi and Beaulieu who are blue chippers and I guarantee both make the NHL. Then you have Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn, Nygren, Bennett, and a bunch more who while some will bust, we probably have an NHLer or two in that group.

The Defence is stacked and will only need minor alterations going forward. A stop gap for 1-2 years til Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready is all that is really required here.

At forward you have a lot less depth.

So no I don't see trading a good young forward for a defenceman to be a trade we NEED to make right now.

When you look at our team, you have Subban who is a young defenceman. You have Emelin and Diaz who are relatively young. You have Gorges who is signed for 5 more years. You have Tinordi and Beaulieu who are blue chippers and I guarantee both make the NHL. Then you have Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn, Nygren, Bennett, and a bunch more who while some will bust, we probably have an NHLer or two in that group.

The Defence is stacked and will only need minor alterations going forward. A stop gap for 1-2 years til Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready is all that is really required here.

The thing is that out of that group, only Subban is an elite player. It would be a different story if we still had McDonagh, but we need more than one. Tinordi and Beaulieu may turn out to be top-pairing guys, or they could be solid bottom-pairing guys, we don't know yet. Gorges and Emelin are complimentary top-4 guys at this point; I wouldn't want to count on them to carry our D corps. We need someone who is as good as or better than them, and more responsible in his own end than Subban.

More responsible in his own end than Subban?

Subban is outstanding defensively. I don't know what the guy has to do to have that aspect of his game recognized, but he's our best defensive D, and honestly top 10 defensively.

He can play both ends of the ice.

Yeah, that was harsh on Subban. He's solid when he's not putting himself out of position missing a big check. Still don't know why he didn't kill penalties. I can recall more goals resulting from gaffes by Gorges and Emelin than from him. Top 10 in the league defensively? I don't know how you could even make such an assertion.

Yeah, that was harsh on Subban. He's solid when he's not putting himself out of position missing a big check. Still don't know why he didn't kill penalties. I can recall more goals resulting from gaffes by Gorges and Emelin than from him. Top 10 in the league defensively? I don't know how you could even make such an assertion.

The killing penalties thing was stupid on our coaching staff's part, no other word to explain it.

In 2011-12 he played the 2nd most penalty kill minutes on the team, and we finished #2 in the league on the PK. We actually were better on the PK after Hal Gill was traded and he took over his spot on the 1st PK unit.

At forward you have a lot less depth.

So no I don't see trading a good young forward for a defenceman to be a trade we NEED to make right now.

Once again, both Diaz and Emelin could walk next summer - they aren't a guarantee to sign. Same with Markov and Bouillon's spots on the team. Why wouldn't trading for a more controllable asset on defense be a good move?

It doesn't have to be a forward prospect traded (in fact it shouldn't). Why not flip one of our many defence prospects for a solid two-way veteran?

Strange as it sounds, I find that Subban is underrated.

We keep hearing from talking heads and hockey people that he is "a work in progress," "learning to be less risky," etc.. In fact he is one of the most complete defencemen in the entire game and dominant in all three zones. I find it strange that people have a hard time accepting the evidence of their eyes.

I think his rep for being dodgy in his own end comes from his penchant for holding the puck when other guys would get rid of it. Many's the time I've felt myself growing alarmed at how PK seemed to be getting into trouble. But I've learning that in nearly every instance he comes out of it without any trouble at all, and prcoeeds to lead the rush, because he is so formidably strong on the puck. But all the analysts seen to remember is that he looked like he might lose the puck - forgetting that he didn't and hardly ever does.

The problem with PK holding on to the puck is that it tends to be a high risk/low reward maneuver. It hardly ever results in a scoring chance or breakout, but when it goes wrong it's a turnover at the offensive blue line or deep in our own zone. Trying to beat someone with your feet at your own goal-line when there's an outlet pass available is foolhardy. PK's gotten a lot better in this regard though. What Cole said as he was leaving town rings true: "If PK would keep it simple, we'll see him at the NHL awards." Well, he's already there, but he still has room for improvement in his mental game.

I used to have a school principal in Montreal named Gallagher. A good man. He was never traded. He looked forward to my visits. Teachers made sure I got to see him regularly. A fine fellow.

• Upvote 1

what a shock, apparently if you play like crap, teams won't re-sign you. Who knew? Seriously he is a very streaky player, when he's hot he is very good but when he is cold he is useless. Good luck Mike I think we have seen the last of you on this team.