New Top-30 Prospects Article...

puck7x

Overall a pretty good article, I agree with it for the most part. I do think that Streit should be a bit lower, at least behind the 2 goalies (Linberg / Halak) only because I see them as having more potential (And thus being better prospects). I also think Dany Stewart could have made the list... somewhere in the last 2-3 spots though.

Thanks for the read Dan.

Mostly agrees with the rankings. Have a few reservations about O'Byrne being ranked so high (better than Korpikari, Korneev and Emelin?). I also think Halak deserves a higher ranking (at least ahead of Heino-Lindberg). Its nice to see Grabovsky so high. Those late steals are always a nice bonus.

It's hard to rank a 27 year old but since I can't list him at HF, I wanted to get him in somewhere. I've only seen him play twice, but I was blown away with how solid he looked against team Russia and Belarus. What a play he made on Kovalev. If he comes over, there's no way he sees the AHL and imo would make the Habs no doubt. Not only do I think he makes the team but I could see him being a very solid all round defensemen.

Stewart I just don't care for. He's got speed and will shoot the puck often, which I like but that's about it. His skating is decent but his lack of lower body strength will give him a lot of trouble. Also he doesn't have a good head for the game, often taking stupid pims and isn't the hardest worker. I didn't think that he would get a contract but his playoff performance might get him one.

O'Byrne is coming along very nicely imo I get to see him more then most of the other defensemen and he had a really strong year, stepping it up as one of Cornell's top defensemen. Add the fact that he's 6'5 and has very good speed plus he's developing an offensive game while still being very physical, he's got to be one of our top D prospects.

I'm a huge fan of Korpikari but he had to drop a bit due to a 2nd year in a row if injuries. He only played 21 games this season, so it's more about the others moving ahead of him this time.

Korneev I also like a lot despite his lack of size, but he didn't have a very good year from the four or so games I saw and was even taken off the roster for a short time so others also passed him this time around.

Emelin played about 10 games all year, so it's really hard to get a good feel for his play. I have only seen him play twice plus some clips so he's the prospect I've seen the least of which also makes it hard to rank him as he got so little playing time. (was playing about 1 game a month) I like what I've seen though and hopefully the rumor that he will play in the CHL next year is true.

Halak I moved up a good bit but I still think Heino-Lindberg is ahead of him. Halak sits back in his net too much imo, whereas Heino-Lindberg is too aggressive, but it's his physical skills that are impressive, as he is damn fast and seems to really fight hard in nets. I like both goalies a lot though and hopefully Halak makes the Dogs next year.

A damn good read. Good to see Perezhogin get the nod for top prospect despite playing overseas. I'm glad to see Kostitsyn wasn't bumped down too much. Just because he didn't light the lamp like most expected doesn't justify diminished status.

Also, I like to know what's happening with the guys that I can't follow easily (Habs and Bulldogs.)

• 1 month later...

I've been reading/following stuff like this for years now and have been always, as my 'mood' says... hopeful.

Hopes have been dashed many times. Jose Charbonneau, Mark Pederson, Eric Charron, Lindsay Vallis, Brent Bilodeau, David Wilkie, Brad Brown, Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Eric Chouinard, Alex Buturlin, etc. High hopes and big falls (Montreal isn't the only team that went this way.)

Thank goodness for Benoit Brunet, Lyle Odelein, John Leclair, Eric Desjardins, Sean Hill, Patrice Brisebois, Brian Savage, Craig Rivet, Darcy Tucker, Jose Théodore, Matthieu Garon, Andrei Markov, Michael Ryder, etc. Hopes with unexpected positive results (Again, Montreal isn't the only team that went this way.)

I don't believe in 'crap shoots' as such but the imagery works. It's very difficult, if not practically impossible) to predict how an 18-year-old will progress.

I look at this list and I always hope for the best for each player - for their sake, especially. Of course that's not going to happen. (Fading into an acid flash-back here...Imagine if it did happen, it wouldn't be to Montreal's advantage in many ways - what do you do with a dozen successful picks every year? Trade them away? All you would end up doing is stocking the other teams with talent.)

In any case, I keep on hoping that many of these guys will work out and that Montreal will become the team that was in the late 50s and late 70s.

Hainsey, Higgins, Chipchura and Plekanec are easily the team's best prospects.

Perezhogin is tiny, didn't really stand out in the AHL as a 20 year old, and is quite comfortable in Russia. The chances of him returning to N.A. are pretty slim, and he wouldn't have much of an impact if he did.

Kostitsyn is going nowhere. He was a mistake, pure and simple. Not because of his epilepsy (although that doesn't help), but because he just isn't that great a player. There were a dozen forwards from the 2003 draft (at least), who were more dangerous offensively in the AHL last season, and virtually all of them were stronger two way players as well.

I can admire blind faith to a certain point, but reality has to intrude eventually. Plekanec scored twice as many points in the AHL at the same age as Kostitsyn was, and he is much better defensively. How can you rank Pleks below him?:eyes:

[Edited on 2005/7/24 by beckham]

Let's see here:

Hainsey has never done anything in his life to show he was worth a 1st round pick.

Higgins' AHL numbers are very comparable to Perezhogin.

Plekanec's AHL numbers are slightly better.

Chipchura you hated as soon as we drafted him.

I just don't get you.

If I recall correctly, Hainsey scored more points as an AHL rookie than Kostitsyn did, despite missing a bunch of games due to injury. He also made the All Rookie team and played in the All Star Game in his first AHL season. Higgins has about 20 pounds of muscle on Perezhogin, and is projected as a defensive forward. Yet he still scored more points in the AHL. To my eyes that easily makes him a better prospect, even overlooking the fact that Chris grew up in North America. Plekanec has done everything that could be expected. Killed penalties, run the power play, jump into the fray. He has about 25 pounds on Perezhogin, and was way more effective as a 19 year old in the AHL than Kostitsyn. Chipchura? The jury is still out, obviously, but he is the type of player who won't have to score a lot or play on a top two line to justify his spot. No great expectations, but still I guy who will play some situational minutes every night.

Originally posted by beckham

Hainsey, Higgins, Chipchura and Plekanec are easily the team's best prospects.  

Perezhogin is tiny, didn't really stand out in the AHL as a 20 year old, and is quite comfortable in Russia. The chances of him returning to N.A. are pretty slim, and he wouldn't have much of an impact if he did.  

Kostitsyn is going nowhere. He was a mistake, pure and simple. Not because of his epilepsy (although that doesn't help), but because he just isn't that great a player. There were a dozen forwards from the 2003 draft (at least), who were more dangerous offensively in the AHL last season, and virtually all of them were stronger two way players as well.

I can admire blind faith to a certain point, but reality has to intrude eventually. Plekanec scored twice as many points in the AHL at the same age as Kostitsyn was, and he is much better defensively. How can you rank Pleks below him?:eyes:

[Edited on 2005/7/24 by beckham]

Hainsey is not a top prospect. He's struggled in the past few season with mental errors, poor turnovers etc... Skill wise he is one of the top prospects, but way way too many mistakes on easy plays that should never happen.

Perezhogin is around 5'11 180, he's small and skinny but fast and doesn't avoid heavy traffic areas. As for not standing out what a joke. How many rookies had two hattricks in one week, led the team in scoring in the playoffs (until the incident), despite not speaking english? As for him not coming over, how would you know?

Kostitsyn is 20 years old, no one knows how he will turn out. You seem to have a hard on for bashing him, get a life.

Why Kostitsyn over Plekanec? Cause hockey isn't played on paper, stats don't tell the story. Guess you don't understand that at all. Plekanec was a few months older when he came over. He happened to score 5 more goals on perhaps the best AHL I have ever seen. Good for him. Kostitsyn did not have a very good year, he struggled offensivly but has decent size, skating, speed, and an impressive shot. I clearly overrated his offenisve skills but that's not to say he won't be a much better player as the potential is there.

If I recall correctly, Hainsey scored more points as an AHL rookie than Kostitsyn did, despite missing a bunch of games due to injury. He also made the All Rookie team and played in the All Star Game in his first AHL season. Higgins has about 20 pounds of muscle on Perezhogin, and is projected as a defensive forward. Yet he still scored more points in the AHL. To my eyes that easily makes him a better prospect, even overlooking the fact that Chris grew up in North America. Plekanec has done everything that could be expected. Killed penalties, run the power play, jump into the fray. He has about 25 pounds on Perezhogin, and was way more effective as a 19 year old in the AHL than Kostitsyn. Chipchura? The jury is still out, obviously, but he is the type of player who won't have to score a lot or play on a top two line to justify his spot. No great expectations, but still I guy who will play some situational minutes every night.

Hainsey was older then Kostitsyn plus he was used to playing in NA, how hard is that to understand? Kostitsyn is a goal scorer and he had close to double the number of goals with 12.

Higgins more points then Perezhogin? Perezhogin had 50 pts, Higgins 48 pts. Guess math isn't your strong point?

Plekanec is highly skilled and a great prospect. His lack of consistency is a bit of a concern, but overall he's easily one of the top prospects on the team. There really isn't much difference between, Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Hossa, Pleks, Hainsey, Chipchura, Locke in terms of pure skills. They all are highly skilled but it's other parts of their game and other strengths/weaknesses that put them in different levels imo. But the fact is, it doesn't matter where they are ranked but what they do on the ice.

Originally posted by montreal
[Hainsey is not a top prospect. .

If he wasn't they would not have resigned him to a 2 year deal for pretty good money. Look at his background, US U18 team, NCAA All American, AHL All Rookie and All Star teams. You don't get that sort of recognition by being a poor defenseman. On most other teams Hainsey would have at least 2 solid NHL seasons behind him. With Montreal he has to wait until they clear out homeboys like Robidas, Traverse, Dykhuis, LaFlamme, Brisebois, and (hopefully) Bouillon.

You're going against your own criteria. According to you, it's what a player does on the ice (goals & assists) that count. Hainsey had a cruddy year last year. He woke up only when Komisarek came onto the team.

It's not that I denigrate Hainsey because I still think that he has good possibilities. It's just that according to your previous comments, it's the on-ice production that counts and Hainsey didn't do it last year (or the year before either).

Obviously, they are telling him to focus on getting his defensive game down, before opening up offensively. Hainsey certainly has the capability of putting up points, he has proven that. With the NHL changing to favor speed and skill, Ron will be one of the league's better blueliners for the next 10 years at least.

And I hope you're right. It would be great for the team.

Originally posted by montreal
[Hainsey is not a top prospect. .

If he wasn't they would not have resigned him to a 2 year deal for pretty good money. Look at his background, US U18 team, NCAA All American, AHL All Rookie and All Star teams. You don't get that sort of recognition by being a poor defenseman. On most other teams Hainsey would have at least 2 solid NHL seasons behind him. With Montreal he has to wait until they clear out homeboys like Robidas, Traverse, Dykhuis, LaFlamme, Brisebois, and (hopefully) Bouillon.

750k isn't pretty good money since he was making 1.1M Every team you named, Hainsey hasn't played for in over 3 years. It was great that he was on the AHL all star game (he played very well picking up 3 pts if I recall) but the problem is that he hasn't progressed at all. I've seen over 30 games in the past two seasons and Hainsey has really pissed me off at times with Brisebois like turnovers. I was at the Pens-Dogs game this year where Hainsey somehow lost the puck right in front of Danis with the pens forward just had to tap it in. You shoud have seen the look on assitant coach Ron Wilson's face!

There's no doubt Hainsey is highly skilled but he lacks the brains or is too lazy at times. Perhaps in the NHL he will play better, but from what I've seen from him in Hamilton, it will be interesting to see what he does and how they handle him.

Seeing O'Byrne at 9th in front of guys like Grabovsky, Locke, Lapierre, Halak & others... is it because O'Byrne has overachieved and progressed immensely (to the point where's he'd be considered a steal by the drafting staff) or because the other prospects after him have declined and underachieved?

I think that Hainsey was really bummed last year. He signed a good contract (one way) and would finally be earning good money. Then the lockout and back to a league he had already proven he could excel in, for probably 1/10 the salary. That has to kill anyone's enthusiasm.

Originally posted by ap79

Seeing O'Byrne at 9th in front of guys like Grabovsky, Locke, Lapierre, Halak & others... is it because O'Byrne has overachieved and progressed immensely (to the point where's he'd be considered a steal by the drafting staff) or because the other prospects after him have declined and underachieved?

O'Byrne is often overlooked by habs fans since he plays in the ECAC, but when he does make the jump, fans should be excited about his development. He's huge, fast, skates very well and can throw big time hits. His offensive game is starting to show up but he'll likely never be known for that. He still is very raw but with the impressive physical package he should see the NHL one day if he can learn to read the plays quicker and react quicker.

I think that Hainsey was really bummed last year. He signed a good contract (one way) and would finally be earning good money. Then the lockout and back to a league he had already proven he could excel in, for probably 1/10 the salary. That has to kill anyone's enthusiasm.

Hainsey was bummed? oh man poor guy. Funny how his poor season for most of the year is easily chalked up to the lockout, but any words about Kostitsyn being 19, not speaking english etc... and it's just an excuse. :nono:

Surely the retort of the week.

No doubt mother Russia and all must have been difficultly missed by the young boy in Hamilton. I certainly can sympathize on that one.

Hey Dan, great article :/)

I know that Kost has played in the B pool too at the WJC, but I can't find his stats... I want to compare, stats at same age and same level of competition with Kopitar. since I can't see them play stats is my only tool there. thanks :D

[Edited on 2005/7/27 by alexstream]

Originally posted by alexstream

Hey Dan, great article :/)

I know that Kost has played in the B pool too at the WJC, but I can't find his stats... I want to compare, stats at same age and same level of competition with Kopitar. since I can't see them play stats is my only tool there. thanks :D

thanks. you can check out all his IIHF stats by each year,

http://www.iihf.com//archive/archive.htm

Here's he final U-20's,

http://www.iihf.com/hydra/tournaments/outp...B/BestScore.htm

WOW :o I don't know to what extent we can make the comparison, it all depend of the talent pool in pool B, but here are Kopitar and Kost, at same age in pool B... kost stats are from 2004, Kopit from 2005

KOPITAR Anze SLO 5games 10g 3a 13pts

KASTSITSYN Andrei Belarus 5games 5g 5a 10pts