PK Subban wins Norris

brobin

First time poster.....long time reader.

A bit off topic for my first post so I apologize in advance. Does anyone know why the twitter section is not available when I access the habsworld site? Is there something I can do or does it occasionally not work?

thanks.

First time poster.....long time reader.

A bit off topic for my first post so I apologize in advance. Does anyone know why the twitter section is not available when I access the habsworld site? Is there something I can do or does it occasionally not work?

thanks.

Welcome aboard.

The Twitterbug as I like to call it is an app directly from Twitter - it's an issue on their end; it happens from time to time, usually lasts a day or two. Other sites that use the same app also don't have it functioning as well.

In the meantime, click here to access the latest from our sources list (the ones that are on the main page).

I think Subban could be seen as something like the Ovechkin of defenseman. Obviously he's a more complete player, but both are dominant physical specimens who use their superior speed and power in combination with a lethal shot. This is where giving Subban 7-8 million worries me. No one had a problem with Ovi's cap hit when he was potting 60 goals, but as he's aged he's had trouble adapting his game when his physical advantages start to wane, and his huge cap hit has become a burden at times. Subban won't always be able to spin out of trouble at the blueline, or break past forwards when skating out of the zone. He'll still be more effective than a floating Ovi, but I worry about how fans and the media will turn on him when he's struggling and making more money than anyone else on the team, especially when the struggles lag on. He already invites more scrutiny than almost any player in the league for a combination of factors, some in his control and some not.

I think Subban could be seen as something like the Ovechkin of defenseman. Obviously he's a more complete player, but both are dominant physical specimens who use their superior speed and power in combination with a lethal shot. This is where giving Subban 7-8 million worries me. No one had a problem with Ovi's cap hit when he was potting 60 goals, but as he's aged he's had trouble adapting his game when his physical advantages start to wane, and his huge cap hit has become a burden at times. Subban won't always be able to spin out of trouble at the blueline, or break past forwards when skating out of the zone. He'll still be more effective than a floating Ovi, but I worry about how fans and the media will turn on him when he's struggling and making more money than anyone else on the team, especially when the struggles lag on. He already invites more scrutiny than almost any player in the league for a combination of factors, some in his control and some not.

Interesting comparison, and only time will tell if you're correct. That being said, I think that PK is an even more spectacular physical human being than Ovi, and is smart enough to adjust his game if/when he begins to lose his physical advantage, In that case, it will be beneficial to have someone like Beaulieu compensate for his lack of footspeed.

I don't like the comparison at all. HE SCORED 32 GOALS IN 48 GAMES!!! doesn't sound like waning to me. when he wants to score, he does. Ovi scored pathetic 32 goals in 2010-11 (please note the sarcasm). skills, handling physical play are not his problems. I will have zero complaints if PK puts up Ovi comparable numbers for a dman as long as he doesn't stop working as Ovi tends to do when his motivation I is gone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3637/career

The Twitterbug as I like to call it is an app directly from Twitter - it's an issue on their end; it happens from time to time, usually lasts a day or two. Other sites that use the same app also don't have it functioning as well.

In the meantime, click here to access the latest from our sources list (the ones that are on the main page).

So upon further review, the widget/app that we had before was deleted by Twitter yesterday. We've put a new one up but it will take a bit of time to try and customize it (we only get a black or white background option and the black looked better). You should be able to see all the tweets like before though.

Congrats to a player who has had to put up with an inordinate amount of crap from constipated, indignant, self-righteous and subliminally racist "old school" NHL types. :thumbs_up: As for you younger fans who have never had a bona-fide top-end position player wearing the CH, savour every minute of PK's career. This is what it feels like to have a player who dominates at his position. These guys don't come along often, and they hardly ever have the flair and charisma of this young man. Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

How many times do you think Don Cherry was muttering for Subban to just shut up, take the trophy, and leave? I mean, how DARE he smile when accepting a trophy! That's not the way we used to do things back in my day. Guy has no respect, I tells ya! Bobby Orr would have put his head down humbly and would have walked off, HIDING the trophy.

What happens after next season? The cap will be $64.3M, but it'll probably go back to up $68-70M(if the revenue for next season goes back to what it was before this short season) for 2014/2015 season right? and thats when Markov/Gionta contract are up, there should be plenty of cap space, no?

What happens after next season? The cap will be $64.3M, but it'll probably go back to up $68-70M(if the revenue for next season goes back to what it was before this short season) for 2014/2015 season right? and thats when Markov/Gionta contract are up, there should be plenty of cap space, no?

It's hard to guess what the cap will be since we don't yet know the revenue figures from this short season (to try and extrapolate from). In theory, Markov/Gionta's expiring deals should create a lot of space but not only is Subban expiring, so too are Eller, Emelin, and Diaz. All of those players could potentially double their cap hit (the latter two are UFA's) which would eat up a lot of what comes off the books right there.

It's hard to guess what the cap will be since we don't yet know the revenue figures from this short season (to try and extrapolate from). In theory, Markov/Gionta's expiring deals should create a lot of space but not only is Subban expiring, so too are Eller, Emelin, and Diaz. All of those players could potentially double their cap hit (the latter two are UFA's) which would eat up a lot of what comes off the books right there.

I didn't know Emelin was a UFA. Yikes.

Subban is a force can't wait to see him score 15+ goals next year.