PK Subban wins Norris

brobin

According to Kipper and sportsnet, Subban will be announced as the winner of the Norris trophy.

Congrats PK.

No word on other awards, but I will be surprised if Habs win any others.

I've never seen word of an award winner being leaked so I'm not sure I believe that. We all know Sportsnet loves Subban and will go out of their way to promote him so I don't consider them to be the most objective when it comes to him.

If true though, he'll collect a nice $250,000 bonus from the league (the prize for winning the Norris).

Apparently it was from Kipper in Montreal...saying he had confirmation....

I agree it seems odd, but I wonder if things are a bit messed up this year since there is no ceremony...might be having winners at media centres to talk to the press after the announcement, making it hard to keep secret.

If this is correct...then holy crap!

It's fully deserved - I've been saying all season that PK is weirdly under-rated and that his overall game is almost scary good. This should end the tendency among commentators to omit his name when they rattle off the Big Boys in the NHL defencemen's club (Weber, Doughty, Karlsson...now ya can add Subban).

Happy for PK :thumbs_up: Even though it means the Habs will pay BIG after next season.

Congrats to PK, although I was hoping it would go to someone else for the contract's sake. If we can sign him to Karlsson's deal I'll be happy, but I fear it'll be more expensive.

I definitely think he's the best player among the nominees, though. Don't know if he's top 5 in the league yet, but he can do some things no one else can do and he's still on the upswing.

Congrats to PK, although I was hoping it would go to someone else for the contract's sake. If we can sign him to Karlsson's deal I'll be happy, but I fear it'll be more expensive.

I definitely think he's the best player among the nominees, though. Don't know if he's top 5 in the league yet, but he can do some things no one else can do and he's still on the upswing.

I am convinced he is top-5 in the league. Easily.

I'll have to see more than an impressive half season to put him up there. I certainly think he's headed in that direction, but I'm doubtful that Suter and Letang would be Norris nominees in a regular full season, and I'm extending that caution to Subban.

hopefully he does well, in Columbus, San Jose or wherever he gets traded to in next year or so.

I really don't see him being traded. The media puts a negative light on Subban saying he's too eccentric, but he's only young. He's maturing. If he ever gets traded, there better be one hell of a return.

1. Nashville couldn't bear to see another defenceman potentially leave.

2. He's decent in his own end.

3. He's 23.

Not a bad deal at all. Similar to our Gorges deal.

I hate deals like this - he looks like he'll be a quality 2nd pairing defenceman for the Preds. That doesn't mean he needs to paid like one for all of his RFA years. How good does he have to become for the deal to look like a bargain (part of the reason you go long-term)? Probably a top pairing guy and I don't think he has that in him. Would I want to see Tinordi or Beaulieu get a contract like this in two years time? Certainly not. I get why they did it - for the reasons you noted above - but they could have gone the way of the bridge deal without a whole lot of risk.

• Upvote 1

True or not, it does the job marketing the new awards ceremonies. Had no idea until then that it was split up in 2 TV events.

As for PK, who would have thought that a week into the season ? Will Bergevin regret not signing him long term now? He should not regret it. He'll be able to say to Beaulieu/Tinordi and others "Hey I didn't sign long term the Norris winner, so don't even think about more than 2 years"

True or not, it does the job marketing the new awards ceremonies. Had no idea until then that it was split up in 2 TV events.

As for PK, who would have thought that a week into the season ? Will Bergevin regret not signing him long term now? He should not regret it. He'll be able to say to Beaulieu/Tinordi and others "Hey I didn't sign long term the Norris winner, so don't even think about more than 2 years"

Yeah, if there's an argument for the contract (beyond what is now a proven excess of caution in having hedged his bets against Subban going in the wrong direction) it has to be the necessity for MB to set precedents: both in general terms - "I'm one tough mofo when it comes to dealing with agents" - and in the specific terms of RFA deals. Everyone now knows Bergevin will not be intimidated into throwing around irresponsible contracts, and future negotiations will be shaped by that knowledge.

That said, Habs29 will be perfectly justified in reminding us for the next 8 years that we could have locked up Subban for 5.5 mil or whatever it was.

Wowie!

Congrats to Pernell Karl Subban on becoming the first black Norris trophy winner* in NHL history. Pioneer, trend setter, game changer and now Norris winner*.

I was hoping MB was going to lock him to a longer Pacioretty type deal during their negotiations. Now looks like PK will have free(ish) reign* on salary demands. Rightfully so.

We're gonna be seeing some exciting hockey for the next foreseeable future, folks. I wish I could Kryo-sleep* until June 28th. (I'd need the weekend to thaw and hydrate.)

*dislcaimer: False? forgetaboutit.

I'd rather PK get paid what he deserves, and if he is worth more than 5.5 for 8 years (using previous posts numbers) then I want him to be paid more than 5.5 for 8 years. get the bargains on improven young players (Gallys) or reclamation vets (Colby), not Norris caliber players.

I'd rather PK get paid what he deserves, and if he is worth more than 5.5 for 8 years (using previous posts numbers) then I want him to be paid more than 5.5 for 8 years. get the bargains on improven young players (Gallys) or reclamation vets (Colby), not Norris caliber players.

Such a simple, sensible philosophy: pay players what they deserve, no more, no less. If adhered to, it sure would remove a lot of agonizing all around.

The only problem with it is that it all but ensures MB will never bag a high-demand UFA.

Such a simple, sensible philosophy: pay players what they deserve, no more, no less. If adhered to, it sure would remove a lot of agonizing all around.

Bah. I prefer Martin St-Louis' contract. We had a shot at signing one of these contracts, and failed.

Of course, would Subban have played as passionately if he was just a $5.5M player instead of a short term contract player trying to prove he's more?

I love to believe that he would have. That winning at hockey is his primary goal.

100% agree. the only one of those contracts we signed was with Maxpac.

On the other hand we picked up the mistakes by the Rangers & Canes.

Bah. I prefer Martin St-Louis' contract. We had a shot at signing one of these contracts, and failed.

I think Subban's contract helped him this year by simultaneously taking pressure off and giving him incentive to prove himself, but over his career arc it won't make much of a difference. When he signs a big deal sometime within the next year he'll have all that pressure and scrutiny on him, except now he'll have to live up to 7+ million rather than 5-5.5 million.

Paying everyone what they're worth works well in theory, but you need some bargains to do well in this league.