Would Danny Briere be a good fit with us?

REV-G

I read today that is it looking like the Philadelphia Flyers may be using one of their buyouts to remove Danny Briere's salary from their books in order to get under the cap. If that happens would he be an automatic good fit for us?

His numbers this year and last have declined. This year he had 6 goals and 10 assists and was also -13. If I remember he turned us down once before and went elsewhere.

So now I'm wondering with all our young guys coming up would he be a good fit for us and would he be interested in coming to Montreal.

The real problem lies in carrying both him and Desharnais. Do we really need two undersized, not-terribly-productive C? It seems to me that if we sign him we're basically giving up on Desharnais...unless we want to move DD to wing and use Briere in his current slot. But this still leaves us (sigh) with a surplus of tiny players up front, once again.

The flip side is that, along clearly in decline, he is a killer playoff performer, plays with spunk, and is French. For someone like myself, who prioritizes character and guts more than size per se, I'd say this: IF he is willing to sign at an affordable rate, and - importantly - IF he is willing to play right wing - then I would at least consider it. Otherwise, pass. No way should he be taking ice time away from Eller, Pleks or possibly Galchenyuk.

In the end, it's a long shot, because it's not a natural fit given our current configuration.

I look forward to more rumours and opportunities of this kind, though. It's going to be a fabulous summer in terms of high-potential reclamation projects, and it'll be interesting to which plums MB tries to pick, if any.

Not a good fit. Would have been a good fit back when he was a UFA. We offered more money and he turned us down.

The potential buyout option I'm mildly interested in would be Dany Heatley. He's pretty much in Alex Kovalev in New York mode at this point in his career, a slowing down superstar who needs a recharge. Minnesota will likely buy him out in order to pay for other players. That said he's still going to command some hard cash and I doubt we want to pay that. Just the idea of Heater in a Habs sweater scoring on the Senators feels pretty good. I'd be more interested in a guy like Latendresse as a reclamation project.

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world if he were to take a reduced salary. However, he is in the stage of his contract where the actual money is much lower than the cap hit. That means he isn't going to get a ton of money from Philly in the buyout so I don't see him accepting a hometown discount which is probably what it would take to be a good fit given the Habs' current roster and cap situation.

The real problem lies in carrying both him and Desharnais. Do we really need two undersized, not-terribly-productive C? It seems to me that if we sign him we're basically giving up on Desharnais...unless we want to move DD to wing and use Briere in his current slot. But this still leaves us (sigh) with a surplus of tiny players up front, once again.

The flip side is that, along clearly in decline, he is a killer playoff performer, plays with spunk, and is French. For someone like myself, who prioritizes character and guts more than size per se, I'd say this: IF he is willing to sign at an affordable rate, and - importantly - IF he is willing to play right wing - then I would at least consider it. Otherwise, pass. No way should he be taking ice time away from Eller, Pleks or possibly Galchenyuk.

In the end, it's a long shot, because it's not a natural fit given our current configuration.

I look forward to more rumours and opportunities of this kind, though. It's going to be a fabulous summer in terms of high-potential reclamation projects, and it'll be interesting to which plums MB tries to pick, if any.

I've no interested in Briere , even at an affordable rate. Only way i'd be interested in him would be on a VERY short-term bargain basement rate. Otherwise, he didn't want to be here when he had something to offer and when we outbid everyone else, so as far as I'm concerned, the hell with him now.

Not a good fit. Would have been a good fit back when he was a UFA. We offered more money and he turned us down.

The potential buyout option I'm mildly interested in would be Dany Heatley. He's pretty much in Alex Kovalev in New York mode at this point in his career, a slowing down superstar who needs a recharge. Minnesota will likely buy him out in order to pay for other players. That said he's still going to command some hard cash and I doubt we want to pay that. Just the idea of Heater in a Habs sweater scoring on the Senators feels pretty good. I'd be more interested in a guy like Latendresse as a reclamation project.

no way i'd want Heatley. We need character guys not slow, one dimensional scorers whose best before date has passed. This guy has worn out his welcome everywhere he has been. Not the kind of guy you want around a young team.

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world if he were to take a reduced salary. However, he is in the stage of his contract where the actual money is much lower than the cap hit. That means he isn't going to get a ton of money from Philly in the buyout so I don't see him accepting a hometown discount which is probably what it would take to be a good fit given the Habs' current roster and cap situation.

the punk isn't going to take a home town discount when he turned down the home town premium early in his career.

I've no interested in Briere , even at an affordable rate. Only way i'd be interested in him would be on a VERY short-term bargain basement rate. Otherwise, he didn't want to be here when he had something to offer and when we outbid everyone else, so as far as I'm concerned, the hell with him now.

Ha ha, I love this ;)

I've no interested in Briere , even at an affordable rate. Only way i'd be interested in him would be on a VERY short-term bargain basement rate. Otherwise, he didn't want to be here when he had something to offer and when we outbid everyone else, so as far as I'm concerned, the hell with him now

I think you have this backwards. When Briere came into the league he wanted to play for Montreal but we weren't interested in another small forward. When he became a star we came knocking and he turned us down just like Montreal did to him when he started out.

I think you have this backwards. When Briere came into the league he wanted to play for Montreal but we weren't interested in another small forward. When he became a star we came knocking and he turned us down just like Montreal did to him when he started out.

Well, to be fair, Briere came into the league as a draft pick of Phoenix and got traded to Buffalo years later while he still had RFA years. He only has had the opportunity to join the Habs (or any other team) once.

NO thank you. The only time I'd consider acquiring him is at the trade deadline for a playoff run... but I'm sure he'd cost too much at that point to be worth it.

Well, to be fair, Briere came into the league as a draft pick of Phoenix and got traded to Buffalo years later while he still had RFA years. He only has had the opportunity to join the Habs (or any other team) once.

Habs had an opportunity to draft him in the 1st round, but took Matt Higgins instead. Were there stories about the Habs specifically not wanting to take him?

Edit: You know it's a bad draft when Daniel Briere is statistically the best forward from that crop.

no way i'd want Heatley. We need character guys not slow, one dimensional scorers whose best before date has passed. This guy has worn out his welcome everywhere he has been. Not the kind of guy you want around a young team.

Like I said, mildly interested. Moreso mild amusement.

Guest Stogey24

Montreal signs him they're moving in the wrong direction. I do like briere, but not in a habs jersey. I think the era of Montreal being hypnotized by Quebec born players is over. No offence at all.

On the topic of Francophone injury-prone centermen we wanted 7 years ago that could be bought out soon...

Vinny Lecavalier?

Now that is an example of the kind of really juicy plum that might shakeout come buyout season. The trouble is, he still won't come cheap and probably will want some term to boot - probably looking to be paid like the PPG C he once was rather than the 60-65 point guy he now is. He would, however, constitute a significant upgrade on Desharnais (although Vinny is much older, obviously) and would allow us to ice three lines with quality C while allowing Galy to continue to marinade on the wing. So DD becomes instant trade bait, or else moves to wing. In the short term, he'd be a terrific acquisition.

The difficulty occurs once Galy is clearly ready to assume regular duty at centre (which will surely occur within 1-2 years), at which point you've got a glut. So if you do sign him it has to be at a rate that will make him tradeable, with no NTC. I fear that we will therefore be outbid in any market for his services.

Conversely, if Lecavalier is amenable to shifting to the wing at some future point, then what looks like a future glut could become a future strength.

I doubt if he will be bought out this year, but they would be stupid not to buy him out next year.

Now that is an example of the kind of really juicy plum that might shakeout come buyout season. The trouble is, he still won't come cheap and probably will want some term to boot - probably looking to be paid like the PPG C he once was rather than the 60-65 point guy he now is. He would, however, constitute a significant upgrade on Desharnais (although Vinny is much older, obviously) and would allow us to ice three lines with quality C while allowing Galy to continue to marinade on the wing. So DD becomes instant trade bait, or else moves to wing. In the short term, he'd be a terrific acquisition.

The difficulty occurs once Galy is clearly ready to assume regular duty at centre (which will surely occur within 1-2 years), at which point you've got a glut. So if you do sign him it has to be at a rate that will make him tradeable, with no NTC. I fear that we will therefore be outbid in any market for his services.

Conversely, if Lecavalier is amenable to shifting to the wing at some future point, then what looks like a future glut could become a future strength.

I think Heatley is injured and won't be eligible for a buyout. The buyout window will close on July 5 so its doubtful he will recover in time.

Heatley is unlikely to be bought out due to his shoulder issues. He can't pass the medical before July 5th.

No NO NO to Dany Heatly, how many times does he have to prove he is a an Ahole . Cried his way out of Atlanta, cried his way out of Ottawa, screwing them supremely in the process.Spent 2 years in san jose they were happy to send him on his way. And we want him? He's a drama queen let the wild keep him. :habslogo: