Free Agency 2013: Who do we want, who can we get?

Trizzak

How about Kurtis Foster ? Is he an UFA ? I think he'd come pretty cheap and short term. He's 6'5 and has a bullet shot. I don't know much about. his physicality or talent.

How about Kurtis Foster ? Is he an UFA ? I think he'd come pretty cheap and short term. He's 6'5 and has a bullet shot. I don't know much about. his physicality or talent.

He is a UFA and is someone I've advocated as a depth acquisition before, particularly at trade deadline. However, despite his size he isn't particularly physical and he can't log too many minutes. In other words, he's a bigger Yannick Weber. If I'm Bergevin, I might want to target him late in the summer if he's still unsigned (he had to wait until after the lockout to join Philly) on a two-way deal, kind of like what the Habs did with Jeff Woywitka a few years ago. Give him a shot in camp to earn a #7/8 spot and if he struggles, they might be able to sneak him down to help in Hamilton.

In other words, we shouldn't be considering anyone.

I'd rather see us develop Tinordi,Bealieau,Ellis and Pateryn and not play some of the stiffs we have now. The current D corps isn't going to get us where we need/want to be.I'm not really expecting much this year so I'd rather keep planning for the future.See if these guys can play and not stunt their growth with band-aid free agents

I'd rather see us develop Tinordi,Bealieau,Ellis and Pateryn and not play/get rid of some of the stiffs we have now. The current D corps isn't going to get us where we need/want to be.I'm not really expecting much this year so I'd rather keep planning for the future.See if these guys can play and not stunt their growth with band-aid free agents

Guest Stogey24

I'd rather see us develop Tinordi,Bealieau,Ellis and Pateryn and not play some of the stiffs we have now. The current D corps isn't going to get us where we need/want to be.I'm not really expecting much this year so I'd rather keep planning for the future.See if these guys can play and not stunt their growth with band-aid free agents

We finished first in our division this past season. We were once again plagued by injuries and not enough depth(hopefully the depth part gets sorted out). How can you not expect much? If we can put together a season like last year and stay healthy doing so, we can be a serious contender.

All of these Briere rumours are very trouble. I can't for the life of me figure out why MB would go after a small center. That's literally the last thing we need aside form maybe an offensive defenseman and a starting goalie.

I'd kinda like to see us take a flyer on Keith Ballard. Maybe I'm crazy. But he could be had somewhat affordably, is explicitly looking for a short-term deal so he can rebuild his marketability, and has been known at least to lay on the body now and then. Better to go with an under-the-radar guy with some upside than a higher-demand guy who will end up being overpaid long-term.

Briere, the more I think about, the less I like.

Briere is a terrible idea, please don't do it.

We could spend that money on Hendricks and Nystrom and still get some defensive help.

That would bump Eller up the lineup..

Paciorette Plecs Bourque

galchenyuk Eller Gally

Gionta Henricks/Nystrom Prust

Moen Henricks/Nystrom white

Try to move DD for Defensive help...as Galchenyuk gets better move him to center the first line and bump Plecs down to the third, hopefully in a couple of years some other guys in Hamilton will be ready to move up (collberg, Leblanc, Mike (the Coke Machine) McCarron )

then if there is a piece missing you go after guys like Iginla or Briere, we are just not ready....yet

Guest Stogey24

Gionta is not a third liner and Desharnais is not going anywhere. I don't know why everyone keeps bringing him up in trade scenarios. He's on a fresh contract and pooped the bed a bit this year. He is worth nothing in a trade situation.

Apparently the Habs in the final three with the Briere sweeps. If history proves true, then he's just using us to drive up his price elsewhere. Apparently he only wants a 1-year contract, so that would be good. If MB signs him for a short-term deal, I don't think it's the end of the world. If it's a long-term deal, then MB is having a major brain fart.

Let's just hope he's using us for more money elsewhere again.

Why would he be looking for a 1-year deal?? How does that make business sense for him?

Anyway, I never fret much over 1-year contracts, so if they want to give that a whirl, it'd be hard to object.

We finished first in our division this past season. We were once again plagued by injuries and not enough depth(hopefully the depth part gets sorted out). How can you not expect much? If we can put together a season like last year and stay healthy doing so, we can be a serious contender.

Do you seriously think this team would have finished first or even made the playoffs in a full season. We complain about injuries EVERY year. Does size have anything to do with that ?Depth,grit factor ?

if he only wants a 1 year deal then it wont be so bad....but i just don't see him producing more that DD so why don't we just stay with the guys we have.

I also think it is time to split up the DD/Paccioretty combo. Max needs to produce with someone other that DD, it would be interesting to see him on a line centered by galchenyuk.

I am drooling over a Paccioretty Galchenyuk McCarron line in a couple of years...

what would you guys say to bringing back Saku for a glory lap?

All of these Briere rumours are very trouble. I can't for the life of me figure out why MB would go after a small center. That's literally the last thing we need aside form maybe an offensive defenseman and a starting goalie.

Don't worry,he is not going after Briere. It's lip service,once again saying what some people want to hear. it's Bergevin's specialty from what I've seen,though he's not alone

if he only wants a 1 year deal then it wont be so bad....but i just don't see him producing more that DD so why don't we just stay with the guys we have.

I also think it is time to split up the DD/Paccioretty combo. Max needs to produce with someone other that DD, it would be interesting to see him on a line centered by galchenyuk.

I am drooling over a Paccioretty Galchenyuk McCarron line in a couple of years...

Healthy,Briere is twice the player now that DD will ever be. that said,i don't want him on this team unless DD AND Gionta are gone

I think McCarron being a top 6er is beyond everyone's expectations. Also, it's likely Koivu will sign a 1 year extension with the ducks.

Guest Stogey24

Do you seriously think this team would have finished first or even made the playoffs in a full season. We complain about injuries EVERY year. Does size have anything to do with that ?Depth,grit factor ?

I'm an advocate of going after size. Either way seeing a first place finish tells me we're capable of good things.

I also read that Brière has the Habs as one of the final 3 teams he would consider joining. I will pray to the Hockey Gods that MB doesn't make the mistake of signing this guy. Even if it is for just one year, it'd be one year too many!

Brière is NOT what the Habs need. He's small, is old(35) and his production has dropped off over the past two seasons. Why would it improve now??

Please Mr Bergevin, pass on Brière...we don't need another smurf!

I certainly don't! You could see that our smaller team was running out of gas towards the 42 game mark. I'm not saying that the second half of a full season would've been disastrous, but I seriously doubt we would've finished first in our division.

I think we should consider bringing Maxime Lapierre back. He brings grit and physical play, would cater to the Quebec media and his faces made me laugh so hard when he was there! I'm all for the return of Happy Lappy. Of course, he's not the best guy available, but he'd be a nice fit on a line with White/Moen and Prust. Also, for offense and size, we should go after Horton, Clarkson or Iginla. If we can get ONE of those guys, along with Lapierre, we will have improved our team.