Free Agency 2013: Who do we want, who can we get?

Trizzak

No it's not. If you trade Pleks for a power forward the team will be better. Pleks vanishes when the going gets tough. The crime would be keeping all of the smurfs and not doing anything.

Plekanec led the team in scoring in this years' postseason and was second the playoff before that (and 4th the year they went deep). That alone isn't everything but the reputation he gets of disappearing when it counts is overblown. Heck, his playoff PPG is a whopping 0.03 less than the regular season. The numbers don't justify the reputation. He's a premier #2 centre. That doesn't mean you don't trade him if you can get someone to help the team but he's not the one who should be shopped around.

I realize he gets points in the playoffs, but did you actually even notice him. When the games were did he do anything to break the games in the habs direction?

The only forwards I actually noticed in a good way was the gally's and Bourque

I'm actually indifferent on Pleks, my first choice would be to move DD, but Pleks has actual value. I think he also has a no movement clause.

I realize he gets points in the playoffs, but did you actually even notice him. When the games were did he do anything to break the games in the habs direction?

The only forwards I actually noticed in a good way was the gally's and Bourque

I'm actually indifferent on Pleks, my first choice would be to move DD, but Pleks has actual value. I think he also has a no movement clause.

He's not the game-breaking type though so it's not far to expect him to be that type of player. When he's cast in a defensive role, he shouldn't be all that noticeable as long as who he covers isn't noticeable as well. More often than not, that's the case. When he's in an offensive role, the wingers are the ones who are more prominently seen.

As for the trade restrictions, Desharnais doesn't have one and Plekanec has a modified NTC (I don't have more details than that).

I think that if Pleks had not called himself out for playing "like a little girl" in 2009 (?), there wouldn't be this idea that he "vanishes in the playoffs." It's ironic that that gutsy bit of self-criticism has turned itself into a permanent whip with which to thrash him.

• Upvote 1

I'd like the Habs to pick up Jeff Schultz. Morrow would be fine. Dealing for Bobby Ryan or Penner and/or Stewart works for me as well. I have no problem slightly overpaying to get larger either. Sometimes it has to hurt in the short-term for the long-term to work out much better.

I'd like the Habs to pick up Jeff Schultz. Morrow would be fine. Dealing for Bobby Ryan or Penner and/or Stewart works for me as well. I have no problem slightly overpaying to get larger either. Sometimes it has to hurt in the short-term for the long-term to work out much better.

Bobby Ryan would be killer

Pleks does all the little things right. Even when you 'don't notice him', he's still hustling in the defensive zone and shutting down opposing team's top lines. He's no Giroux, but I have no problem calling him a good number one center.

I always notice Plekanec but that's because when I played I was expected to be two way. So I always look at what guys are doing defensively. I don't believe I have ever seen Desharnais win a puck battle in our own zone. Or the opposing zone. Plekanec is quite good at getting possession despite being average size, which is why he's so great on the PK and against top lines.

I can't believe the Leafs have picked up Clarkson. Now that was the type of player we needed!!

How come every other hockey person in the world other than Montreal GMs can see that this team is small and soft. Gets at least one major embarrassing ass kicking a year and continually has players injured. But yet year after year we get smaller and softer. Our one tough player isn't even big.

Guest Stogey24

How come every other hockey person in the world other than Montreal GMs can see that this team is small and soft. Gets at least one major embarrassing ass kicking a year and continually has players injured. But yet year after year we get smaller and softer. Our one tough player isn't even big.

Look at the prices these players are going for...Trades will happen in later days for sure. We will get stronger.

Look at the prices these players are going for...

There's other players out there to bolster our size. Fact of the matter is, if you want to compete you need to pay. The team as it sits right now is going to get slapped around. There aren't many clarkson, clowe and iginlas out there. You want them you pay for them

I know a lot of teams overspent today.. but you have to wonder where Montreal fits in the East now with Detroit coming over...

Boston got better, Toronto got better, Detroit got better, Ottawa is still tough... are we looking at 5th in the division? Something HAS to be coming...

"29 teams want to get bigger. Everyone is looking for the same type of players. They don't grow on trees. We will look at trades, but I won't trade a young player to fill one specific hole. You build through the draft."

"You don't build a championship team through free agency."

He does know the team is small and soft. He's not going to fix it in free agency. He's going to fix it through the draft and trades that make sense.

Would you prefer the Philadelphia model of "SIZE RAWR"? Or the NYR method of signing every key free agent every summer and then buying them out 2 years later because the contract was a mistake?

• Upvote 1

Good point trizzak! However I do also agree with Drive for 25...Toronto got better, Boston Got better, Detroit got better....when are WE gonna get better.

I sure hope MB can get a move or two done (trades) that will make us bigger. If not, i don't see how we'll be able to compete in the dog days of the season (games 45 to 70).

Wow.. now the Senators add Bobby Ryan.

I just don't understand the thinking.. you have prospects, you have players, improve around your two or three world class players but NO, Montreal does nothing.

I love the Habs. Always will. But right now... the playoffs look like a reach for this squad...

The price was pretty high for Ottawa... I guess they are serious about contending now rather than in a few years.

I don't agree with throwing away assets just for the sake of changing up the team, but it's hard not to be envious when Toronto, Bruins and Ottawa all got big upgrades.