Kaberle to be bought out

dlbalr

A shame, really.

I had hoped he'd be traded to a cash strapped team for a larger buyout contract (like Ville Leino in Buffalo) and a prospect and/or draft pick.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Leafs pull off a trade like that.

$9M in cap space, more to come next summer. A good sized chunk will goto Subban but it's still nice to have flexibility.

Also, Greg Pateryn can do everything Komisarek does and a bit better. We have zero use in Komo.

Not exactly.... I've never seen Pateryn put a pass on the tape for a beauty one-timer quite like this.

Not exactly.... I've never seen Pateryn put a pass on the tape for a beauty one-timer quite like this.

Hahahah I was actually looking for komisarek in a habs jersey for a full minute, I died laughing when I realized he was a leaf!

I'd like Komisarek. They want a big, physical stay at home guy for cheap; he's all those things. I'm sure reports will come out two months from now about Bergevin "having talked with his agent" after he signs one of Halpern and Armstrong, and either Filpulla or Victor Stallberg. Especially if the Blackhawks win, I really have no faith that this team wants to get bigger and tougher.

He's all those things and can't play defence in the NHL!

INTANGIBLES!

Who do you want? These guys haven't won the cup in 20 years now, maybe they should abandon the soft French /Euro fetish. Most teams/fans, when they'really talking "intangibles" they talk size. The tipping point for us, on the other hand seems to be either being French, or being under 5'10

I say Bergevin gets:

At least 3 French kids Sunday

Filpula, Stalberg or PM Bouchard

Keeps Halpern or Armstrong if not both

And ends up with 3 mil plus in cap space

See the way the Blackhawks are getting crushed by the Bruins? That's us, but without Toews Kane and Hossa in two years. Losing - it's easy, and we're gonna love it!

Guest Stogey24

I say Bergevin gets:

At least 3 French kids Sunday

Filpula, Stalberg or PM Bouchard

Keeps Halpern or Armstrong if not both

And ends up with 3 mil plus in cap space

See the way the Blackhawks are getting crushed by the Bruins? That's us, but without Toews Kane and Hossa in two years. Losing - it's easy, and we're gonna love it!

montreal can't change over night.

Now take a teensy bit of that money and offer Komi the league minimum as a depth guy. If he could ever find his game again (back beside Markov) then that would be beyond awesome, particularly considering it was the Leafs.

Now take a teensy bit of that money and offer Komi the league minimum as a depth guy. If he could ever find his game again (back beside Markov) then that would be beyond awesome, particularly considering it was the Leafs.

2 years/4 mil Get Komi. I think he might try to salvage his career in a smaller market though. But then again, we went after Uglic twice, so he might be a masochist.

You posted that just minutes before the Hawks won the cup... and were still leading the series anyways.

Im not too sure where in that series you saw the hawks getting crushed by the bruins..

• Upvote 1

Back to the kaberle buyout for a second lol

This move actually makes me think Bergevin is going to go hard in the UFA market, or make a trade.

When I think about it kaberle only had 1 year left on his contract. Next year even with kaberle we would have had 4.5 million in cap space, with only white Halpern and Armstrong as the only real possible people to resign. So we don't directly need the buyout to fit under the cap.

If we sign Horton, Bickel or whoever the buyout is obviously perfect, but is it possible that we could sit next season on 4.5+ mill in cap space when we could have saved the buyout in the event someone else's play falters and has a longer more cumbersome contract?

Firstly Komisarek sucks... stay far away from him. Hes never been the same since Lurch messed up his shoulder in that fight in Boston.

Secondly Chicago is the second smallest team in the NHL. It doesn't take a heck of a lot to get them to fight through things though... just a couple big forwards like a Bickell and Handzus in the top 6 made a huge difference for that team. Guys who were willing to get their nose dirty. If we can add a Bickell and a Big defenceman who clears the crease, we are laughing.

Firstly Komisarek sucks... stay far away from him. Hes never been the same since Lurch messed up his shoulder in that fight in Boston.

Secondly Chicago is the second smallest team in the NHL. It doesn't take a heck of a lot to get them to fight through things though... just a couple big forwards like a Bickell and Handzus in the top 6 made a huge difference for that team. Guys who were willing to get their nose dirty. If we can add a Bickell and a Big defenceman who clears the crease, we are laughing.

Fans are funny. We can look at Chicago and say, "wow, they're small too," but often times, we can't look at our team OBJECTIVELY. Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa outclass any forwards we have by a m-i-l-e. Bolland is clearly better than Lars Eller. (As much as everyone around here thinks he is Guy Carbonneau) I don't usually sound this negative, but like Jack Todd, it's hard to watch the Cup and realize we're ten miles away from being in the same stadium as Chicago.

Back to the kaberle buyout for a second lol

This move actually makes me think Bergevin is going to go hard in the UFA market, or make a trade.

When I think about it kaberle only had 1 year left on his contract. Next year even with kaberle we would have had 4.5 million in cap space, with only white Halpern and Armstrong as the only real possible people to resign. So we don't directly need the buyout to fit under the cap.

If we sign Horton, Bickel or whoever the buyout is obviously perfect, but is it possible that we could sit next season on 4.5+ mill in cap space when we could have saved the buyout in the event someone else's play falters and has a longer more cumbersome contract?

Bergevin's comments from last week suggested that he's looking to temper expectations. I could see him going after one bigger piece but that's about it.

As for what Kaberle's buyout could be spent on, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of one year deals but instead of getting true depth guys like Armstrong, maybe aim a little higher talent wise. There are a lot of contracts expiring after 13-14 and I don't think the Habs will spend all of their cap space for this summer on multi-year pacts for that reason.