Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

Term was too long. Can't blame Vinny for taking the deal and MB was right not to match. No hard feelings here.

MB drafted grit, which is a few years away. Don't be surprised to see him sign a gritty forward over a Briere. That is what we need. He knows it, he said so in the post draft interview. He addressed it for down the road, now he will upgrade Armstrong.

Oh, What happened to the 5th? I though Yinny wasn't available until then?

It won't be made official until then. He is free to declare that he has 'agreed to terms' beforehand though. Expect to hear that term a fair bit in the next few days.

I wanted him, but had a feeling the price would be high. It's a friendly cap hit, but 5 years with a NTC for a declining once-upon-a-star I can live without. My enthusiasm also waned slightly when I read that his CORSI rating was pretty poor. I'm no authority on advanced stats, but that tended to confirm my longstanding skepticism about his mindset.

What I do like is MB's firmness. 3 years, that's our offer, no panic, just a cold-eyed assessment of what the team is willing to do.

It's too bad, but, well, easy come easy go. It's not like we're a worse team today than yesterday.

Meh. Im disappointed in him as a person. $3.215M for the next 14 years. Until 47 he'll be being paid more than most active NHLers.

As a Montrealer. I just don't understand why. And, I thought Vinny would be the perfect compliment to our roster minus DD. With tones of talent coming. Guys nuts, greedy or has zero pride. I just lost respect for him.. not that that matters.

Besides.. as a Montrealer.. whats worse than playing for the Leafs, Bruins or Flyers? Anyways, Im just a different breed of Athlete/person.

Im not worried. I trust Bergevin will improve the roster before camp. And, that contract is awful. I think PH should trade himself to NYI for Snow. He and Wang would get along exquisitely.

Ile Bizard sucks anyhow.. lmao

I agree.. Where has the drive and passion gone from these players? He's a millionaire, enough money.. Why not put on the jersey you wore as a kid, the team you loved growing up. I just don't get it. He had a chance to come home, and instead he chose to sign with a rival. I've been a huge Vinny fan for years, but not anymore. He represents what I hate about the sports world... Rarely does an athlete do what he is passionate about anymore..

Congrats Lecavalier.. You're the Lebron James of the NHL... Without the future success.

I agree.. Where has the drive and passion gone from these players? He's a millionaire, enough money.. Why not put on the jersey you wore as a kid, the team you loved growing up. I just don't get it.

This has always been debated. Many have said he grew up a Red Wings fan and his favourite player was Steve Yzerman.

Stuff from Dave Stubbs coming from Lecavalier's agent that irritates me because it's just Vinny making sure his endorsements don't disappear:

Vinny's agent cryptically tells @RenLavoieRDS that if both sides had more time to talk, the signing result might have been different #Habs

Vinny's agent Kent Hughes tells @RenLavoieRDS that a "combination of factors" led to his client not getting a deal done with #Habs

Vinny tells @RenLavoieRDS that "external factors" made him choose #Flyers over #Habs, who impressed him greatly

Not a bad cap hit for the player, although in 3 years him and Streit will likely be albatrosses.

I Doubt he actually ever wanted to come here, just kept Montreal in the final group to save face.

This is a typical Philly move, and they'll surely have to get rid of one of Schenn or Couturier, what with Giroux's deal coming up.

Does Philly become the new darling of the Quebec media with all their French players? Eugh. They're not in our division like Tampa, but with the new playoff format a matchup against them becomes more likely.

This has always been debated. Many have said he grew up a Red Wings fan and his favourite player was Steve Yzerman.

He's already won a cup. What's left than to bring one home and truly become legendary.

Good on Vinny for getting a good deal. Wish him the best, but as always, hope Philly doesn't do well. :)

It always cracks me up when people bring up things like guts, loyalty, pride, blah blah blah when it comes to free agency. In the end, hockey is their job. If you could leave your job at Best Buy to go to Google and make double the salary, would you stay at Best Buy for loyalty reasons? Even if you weren't hurting for money initially?

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Good on Vinny for getting a good deal. Wish him the best, but as always, hope Philly doesn't do well. :)

It always cracks me up when people bring up things like guts, loyalty, pride, blah blah blah when it comes to free agency. In the end, hockey is their job. If you could leave your job at Best Buy to go to Google and make double the salary, would you stay at Best Buy for loyalty reasons? Even if you weren't hurting for money initially?

Those are two completely different scenarios. I just can't believe of all places he would choose Philly... I know American market and what not; but still Philly is a mess.

Those are two completely different scenarios. I just can't believe of all places he would choose Philly... I know American market and what not; but still Philly is a mess.

I have a half-assed theory that players are often rather unperceptive judges of what's going on in other organizations - that they develop prejudices based on the accumulated reputation of a team (or other players) rather than what's actually going on. It took years for Montreal to shed the image of being a "loser" franchise even though Gainey had fundamentally righted the ship, for instance. We could point to a ton of young talent coming down the pike, but UFAs still wouldn't come. (Was it Ryan Smyth who went to a broken-down Colorado rather than Montreal because he wanted to be on a "contender?"). Indeed, it took shipping out Koivu and acquiring Gomez (!) to send the signal that we were serious - which just goes to show how dubious is the judgement of hockey players about outside organizations. Assuming he's after more than just term/money, Vinny probably has the idea that Philadelphia is a perennial contender rather than a team without a goalie, in cap disarray and with a makeshift D.

As for his nice comments about Montreal, that's standard PR bullsh*t, equivalent to the girl telling you "it's not you, it's me," etc. Lecavalier always ways a soulless puke. Let Philly deal with the misery of his + Streit's contract.

As for his nice comments about Montreal, that's standard PR bullsh*t, equivalent to the girl telling you "it's not you, it's me," etc. Lecavalier always ways a soulless puke. Let Philly deal with the misery of his + Streit's contract.

Game. Set. Match. Salutlavisite!

I hate to agree with you, but I do. It's like asking guys for 'passion' over an 82 game season that is 82 games only because it is a business, not a passion. Sure.. when you're young.. home team.. passion...hurrah... but after 60 games playing 3 times/week... it's a job.

We fans are hardly more 'passionate' about our 'assets' either.

THe NHL is more than a little unnatural, so natural sentiments will dissipate.

As for his nice comments about Montreal, that's standard PR bullsh*t, equivalent to the girl telling you "it's not you, it's me," etc.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It WAS me!!!!!!!

....and I believed her... :(

Can't really say that I'm surprised to see Vinny end up elsewhere. I seriously doubted he would come to Montreal. Good for him....doesn't change the fact that the flyers are my 3rd least favorite team in the NHL, so for me to wish him success is just not gonna happen.

As far as Bergevin not offering Vinny more than 3 years being a mistake, I wholeheartedly disagree. That is the reason why Detroit was out of the race and that is the same reason Montreal was out. Both GM's knew that to offer an injury prone player who's in the twilight of his career a 5 year deal would be a huge mistake.

Well done MB, you tried but you stuck to your guns and you didn't panic. Vinny isn't worth the contract he got from Philly!

Can't really say that I'm surprised to see Vinny end up elsewhere. I seriously doubted he would come to Montreal. Good for him....doesn't change the fact that the flyers are my 3rd least favorite team in the NHL, so for me to wish him success is just not gonna happen.

As far as Bergevin not offering Vinny more than 3 years being a mistake, I wholeheartedly disagree. That is the reason why Detroit was out of the race and that is the same reason Montreal was out. Both GM's knew that to offer an injury prone player who's in the twilight of his career a 5 year deal would be a huge mistake.

Well done MB, you tried but you stuck to your guns and you didn't panic. Vinny isn't worth the contract he got from Philly!

Makes sense to me....though experience has shown that this is not necessarily a good thing... :blush:

Game. Set. Match. Salutlavisite!

Your posts are interesting, and very entertainingly put together, nihilz...and that ain't nothing, countering the common sense view that " Ex nihil, nihil fit."...so..if the nihil fits,.... never mind... :blush:

it's been posted in habsworld recently that the GM needs to be the team's best player. I think MB continues to show he either is just that. in the words of the gambler "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and when to run". In this case, he walked away.

Stuff from Dave Stubbs coming from Lecavalier's agent that irritates me because it's just Vinny making sure his endorsements don't disappear:

Vinny's agent cryptically tells @RenLavoieRDS that if both sides had more time to talk, the signing result might have been different #Habs

I saw that last night and wondered to myself, why wasn't there more time to talk? He can't even officially sign until Friday so theoretically, there should be at least two more days to talk if he really wanted to...or the teams set the deadline to know ASAP whether they had to go to plan B.

Vinny never wanted to come here and be a hero, cause when you are a hockey legend in Montreal you are The Big Pumpkin. Vinny cant handle that pressure cause he is basically a coward. As the saying goes, if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. In Vinny's case he wants to make it anywhere else. May he turn out to be the injury riddled insect that we know he is. Mind you I am not bitter, just pissed of at that forking coward. :habslogo:

Vinny never wanted to come here and be a hero, cause when you are a hockey legend in Montreal you are The Big Pumpkin. Vinny cant handle that pressure cause he is basically a coward. As the saying goes, if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. In Vinny's case he wants to make it anywhere else. May he turn out to be the injury riddled insect that we know he is. Mind you I am not bitter, just pissed of at that forking coward. :habslogo:

Agree 100%. Having said that I'd having given him the same money/term as Philly did, over signing Briere. I hope i'm proven wrong and Briere is motivated to play well in Montreal, but I don't have that warm, fuzzy feeling about signing a 35 year old for more money then Ryder got.