2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

2013-nhl-draft-horizontal-logo.jpg

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft is upon us and although the Habs don't pick until 25th overall this year, they still should be poised to add some quality prospects to the fold by the end of the day. In total, the club has nine picks to work with between the seven rounds and have a selection all but Round 5. Here are where the Habs' selections are:

1st round - 25th overall

2nd round - 34th overall

2nd round - 36th overall

2nd round - 55th overall

3rd round - 71st overall

3rd round - 86th overall

4th round - 116th overall

6th round - 176th overall

7th round - 206th overall

If you haven't done so already, be sure to enter our annual draft pool. Pick the first round plus Montreal's three selections in the second: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3115

As always, we'll have detailed coverage on the site - all of our draft-related reading is here, links to any articles written tomorrow will be linked in there as well. If you're interested in more pre-draft reading, check out the draft discussion thread in the prospects forum.

Who do you think the Habs will take? Who do you want them to take? Will they make any trades?

There are new rules for the timing between picks. Before, it was 5 minutes between picks for the first round and 1 or 2 minutes (I forget which) for the rest. Tomorrow, it's 3 minutes across the board - every round. Teams also have a total of five timeouts (up to 5 minutes in length) that they can use. This means that the 1st round is going to fly a lot quicker than we're used to seeing - probably 2.5 hours instead of 3.5 but the other rounds will go a bit longer.

There are new rules for the timing between picks. Before, it was 5 minutes between picks for the first round and 1 or 2 minutes (I forget which) for the rest. Tomorrow, it's 3 minutes across the board - every round. Teams also have a total of five timeouts (up to 5 minutes in length) that they can use. This means that the 1st round is going to fly a lot quicker than we're used to seeing - probably 2.5 hours instead of 3.5 but the other rounds will go a bit longer.

well.. not if every team wait 2:59 before calling a 5 minutes timeout... ;)

So, every year as part of my mock drafts, not only do I do the first round, but I also try to guess all of the Habs' selections as well. Normally, I get a grand total of zero right, despite giving myself two guesses at each. Last year, I got five of the picks...although just Galchenyuk in his actual slot (I had Thrower, Bozon, Vail, and Hudon, but all earlier than they actually were picked). With that in mind, here are my guesses at each selection (don't read anything into the order they're written, it's random):

25th: C/W Frederik Gauthier (Rimouski, QMJHL), LW Andre Burakowsky (Malmo, Allsvenskan)

34th: LW Emile Poirier (Gatineau, QMJHL), C J.T. Compher (US U-18, USHL)

36th: C Laurent Dauphin (Chicoutimi, QMJHL), C/W Jacob de la Rose (Leksand, Allsvenskan)

55th: RW Justin Bailey (Kitchener, OHL), C John Hayden (US U-18, USHL)

71st: LW Peter Cehlarik (Lulea, SWE-Jr.), C Ryan Kujawinski (Kingston, OHL)

86th: LW Zach Sanford (Islanders, EJHL), D Eric Roy (Brandon, WHL)

116th: G Antoine Bibeau (PEI, QMJHL), G Marcus Hogberg (Linkoping Jr, SWE Jr.)

176th: G Evan Cowley (Wichita Falls, NAHL), D Emil Djuse (Sodertalje, Allsvenskan)

206th: D Dane Birks (Merritt, BCHL), LW Liam Coughlin (Catholic Memorial, USHS)

The 'logic' (or better yet, guesswork) that went into some of these picks:

- I expect the Habs to go forward-heavy early on and something tells me they'll look local fairly early so I'm hedging my bets.

- Both Bergevin/Timmins said last year they're particularly fond of Swedes so I concentrated my European guesses there.

- I'd like to see a goalie go earlier but I sense the 2nd round will feature a run on goalies, eliminating the ones at the top of the Habs' list. This is my attempt at 'Plan B.'

- With 9 picks, I figure no more than 6 are CHL selections (to spread out the signing deadlines - CHL gets 2 years, the rest 4...in most cases at least), the Habs have tended to go college/Euro late.

Other thoughts:

- I expect to be wrong on 34 for sure - I figure a 1st round faller will go there but I have no clue who will slip.

- I think a D will go in the first five picks (I don't have any there) but when it came time to slotting those spots, I didn't like the options I figured would be there. I would imagine the D that gets selected will be a faller as well.

- If I get one of these right, I'll be pleasantly surprised as before last year, I had maybe three correct players selected over the last six drafts.

• Upvote 1

If we go with Gauthier, Poirier and Dauphin back to back to back, the french medias will jump !!!

I don't think they will - I think they might take one local player in the first three picks though.

Id love if we got Jacob De la Rose.

Same here (and not just for the obvious association with my last name). If his offence improves, he could be a decent second liner but could also be an elite third liner with grit and good defensive abilities. That may not be a flashy piece but a very useful one nonetheless that could be part of the core.

With Columbus talking about possibly trading a first round pick, and the chance of Vinny signing, would DD and 2nd be worth trading for one of their picks? If so do you think it would get the trade done? Going to be a fun day. I need one. I fell down a flight of stairs at work yesterday and have a sprained thumb and strained tricep on my left arm, a strained shoulder on my right side and reinjured my neck. Jagermeister will get me through it! Ok, too much info. I have an upper body injury. lol.

Trading DD to any team for any price is a good deal.

Out of the first 3 picks I would love Compher, Ernie, De La Rose. Don'y know much about Poiner. All 3 of those are physically tough and good size.

With Columbus talking about possibly trading a first round pick, and the chance of Vinny signing, would DD and 2nd be worth trading for one of their picks? If so do you think it would get the trade done? Going to be a fun day. I need one. I fell down a flight of stairs at work yesterday and have a sprained thumb and strained tricep on my left arm, a strained shoulder on my right side and reinjured my neck. Jagermeister will get me through it! Ok, too much info. I have an upper body injury. lol.

I would answer : DEFINITELY !

well.. not if every team wait 2:59 before calling a 5 minutes timeout... ;)

we shouldn't waste out timeouts too early, we should do the old goalie switcharoo to save us at least one timeout.

any guees approx what time we'll end up picking, I have to go out till about 3:30-4......hopefully earlier....

any guees approx what time we'll end up picking, I have to go out till about 3:30-4......hopefully earlier....

I'd say the first pick will be around 5 PM EST, barring a trade up.

I'm also reading different things about the timeout rule - I've seen five timeouts and others saying there's just one. It'd be perfect if it was in between the two.

From Darren Dreger:

Marc Bergevin predicts he will be busy. He still sees an opportunity to move up in Draft. Habs have 1 player in mind they want to draft.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/351384703321903104

It was reported last night that Bo Horvat and Curtis Lazar were players the Habs had their eyes on but both would require trade ups to get them.

have lots of jager, rest, and take it easy, hope you are ok. :habslogo:

No one else has any guesses for any of the Habs' picks? Speaking of guessing, there's still time to get your picks in for the draft pool on the site.

I joined the pool, despite knowing nothing about 3/4 of these guys.

Went with Carrier, Dauphin, McCarron and Other (Subban) for the Habs :)

Trying to find someplace to actually be able to watch the draft live but nope... cant find it.

I looking for the same with no luck.

If anyone knows where it can be streemed that would be awesome