Briere to Habs - 2 years, $4M/year

HabsTrick450

Heard something interesting about Briere today. His production dropped off over his last 2 seasons, but he's played all but those 2 seasons as center. Looks like hes not as effective as a winger. Why wouldn't you move him to center to see if the production is really down or he doesn't play well at wing?

So what exactly is Bergevin doing right now? Is he waiting to see the other GM's leave the parking lot so he can low ball some 4th liners? I have a feeling deadline/free agency days are going to be no fun under him.

As it should.

That would be a good thing.

Why? We don't need a Bobby Ryan or Chris Stewart ? I'll take a mid 20's player long term at big $$ over an over the hill one at short term and big $$, as good as we are set on D prospects,we are still very weak and unproven at forward. Ryan or Stewart would instantly be our best forward.

Heard something interesting about Briere today. His production dropped off over his last 2 seasons, but he's played all but those 2 seasons as center. Looks like hes not as effective as a winger. Why wouldn't you move him to center to see if the production is really down or he doesn't play well at wing?

We have a logjam at center,not including Galch.i think he was insulated playing on a tough Philly team. That aspect changes now

Why? We don't need a Bobby Ryan or Chris Stewart ? I'll take a mid 20's player long term at big $$ over an over the hill one at short term and big $$, as good as we are set on D prospects,we are still very weak and unproven at forward. Ryan or Stewart would instantly be our best forward.

We have a logjam at center,not including Galch.i think he was insulated playing on a tough Philly team. That aspect changes now

I would love to add a player like Ryan or Stewart or any other top 6 forward that's in his 20s that provides both size and skill. Problem is right now neither of those players are locked up long term and there is no guarentee Ryan will want to play long term in Canada.

I rather sign a stop gap like Briere as opposed to long term deals to Clarkson or Clowe and then not be cash strapped when an actual good UFA like Ryan hits the market. This years market is terrible and the players that fill our needs are being insanely overpaid.

I would love to add a player like Ryan or Stewart or any other top 6 forward that's in his 20s that provides both size and skill. Problem is right now neither of those players are locked up long term and there is no guarentee Ryan will want to play long term in Canada.

I rather sign a stop gap like Briere as opposed to long term deals to Clarkson or Clowe and then not be cash strapped when an actual good UFA like Ryan hits the market. This years market is terrible and the players that fill our needs are being insanely overpaid.

i think next years market is very good,which is why I'd rather have a 1 yr stop gap,or a big ticket player signed like Ryan or Stewart. Briere takes $4m of UFA bidding money for that 2014 UFA class. Clowe and Clarkson have definitely made their new teams better but it's not what Habs should have gotten long term. i

I can't believe some of the trade proposals posted here...take off the homer goggles guys. Some were so badly lopsided that you should immediately have to take penance. Those Kane Byfug-alien deals were not even close...how a couple posters would think they are close to fair is...well...some sort of collective group stupidity that can only be bred when fans are talking.

Someone even said this team was "stacked" at center...if by stacked you mean we have 4 guys that can play the position with 1 being a legit top 6, one was a rookie playing wing, one looks like he might, just may be, a good 2nd line C and one is a small overrated playmaking C who is the kind lower seeded playoff teams have but real contenders don't...

Did someone honestly say Chris Stewart would be our best player? Really?

Plekanec, Patches, Subban, Markov are easily worth more...Briere is a better player right now too.

Having said all that, I think the reason so many want a premier addition, like Kane, is a recognition that this team is not structured well and, while it has some good pieces, it is still short by a couple very good players from being legitimate. Last playoffs were proof of the smoke and mirrors from their regular season and while perhaps many won't openly admit it those comments betray that we just aren't good enough yet.

It's interesting no one has mentioned the Cap through those comments. We're right up against it, per capgeek, and next couple years require significant raises to many young players. We are against the cap with a lot of "mid-tier" talent. Who is managing the talent chess board and why are we slotting so many $4M to $5M guys...we need a couple legit $7M guys (Subban is going to be one) and we need to jettison DD and Bourque to make room for next off-season. Then Gionta, Bouillon, Moen all need to be go (cube and Gio are expiring anyway) to pay for Subban, Emelin, Eller...and Briere leaving in a couple years will cover raises to Gallagher and Galchenyuk (assuming they've earned it as expected).

The salaries of DD and Bourque right now are the blockers to improving this team properly...

I can't believe some of the trade proposals posted here...take off the homer goggles guys. Some were so badly lopsided that you should immediately have to take penance. Those Kane Byfug-alien deals were not even close...how a couple posters would think they are close to fair is...well...some sort of collective group stupidity that can only be bred when fans are talking.

Someone even said this team was "stacked" at center...if by stacked you mean we have 4 guys that can play the position with 1 being a legit top 6, one was a rookie playing wing, one looks like he might, just may be, a good 2nd line C and one is a small overrated playmaking C who is the kind lower seeded playoff teams have but real contenders don't...

Did someone honestly say Chris Stewart would be our best player? Really?

Plekanec, Patches, Subban, Markov are easily worth more...Briere is a better player right now too.

Having said all that, I think the reason so many want a premier addition, like Kane, is a recognition that this team is not structured well and, while it has some good pieces, it is still short by a couple very good players from being legitimate. Last playoffs were proof of the smoke and mirrors from their regular season and while perhaps many won't openly admit it those comments betray that we just aren't good enough yet.

It's interesting no one has mentioned the Cap through those comments. We're right up against it, per capgeek, and next couple years require significant raises to many young players. We are against the cap with a lot of "mid-tier" talent. Who is managing the talent chess board and why are we slotting so many $4M to $5M guys...we need a couple legit $7M guys (Subban is going to be one) and we need to jettison DD and Bourque to make room for next off-season. Then Gionta, Bouillon, Moen all need to be go (cube and Gio are expiring anyway) to pay for Subban, Emelin, Eller...and Briere leaving in a couple years will cover raises to Gallagher and Galchenyuk (assuming they've earned it as expected).

The salaries of DD and Bourque right now are the blockers to improving this team properly...

If you're referring to me i said a "logjam" at center,far from being stacked. i said Stewart would be our best froward,i should have said best for what the team needs. And sorry to say Markov isn't worth anywhere of what he used to be,and Pacs is a very good but very perimeter type forward. this team needs net presence on both sides of the ice more than anything.

I'm sure it's nothing but the Habs have not officially registered the contract with the league yet. I figured with yesterday being such a quiet day that they'd have done so. Oh well, it's still a done deal anyways, I'm sure it will be filed soon.

Vlem putsher minda kilt en scarber rassitude. Schlem pucknit.

I just thought I'd contribute my insights to the discussion.

Tlink fruntmizer.

I saw an interesting thing on another site; Why did we sign Briere for 2/$8m when Ryder got 2/$7m, Other than the obvious origin and size obsession

Ryder last 2yrs 51,goals, Briere 22 goals

Last 3 years Ryder 69 goals Briere 56 goals.

I also believe Ryder is at least a couple of years younger .

I saw an interesting thing on another site; Why did we sign Briere for 2/$8m when Ryder got 2/$7m, Other than the obvious origin and size obsession

Ryder last 2yrs 51,goals, Briere 22 goals

Last 3 years Ryder 69 goals Briere 56 goals.

I also believe Ryder is at least a couple of years younger .

Funny you mention that. In the WWI article I just posted about the signing, I made a remark similar to that, Ryder's deal is one of the better UFA signings so far. I don't think too many figured he'd take $3.5, most thought it was going to start with a 4.

Funny you mention that. In the WWI article I just posted about the signing, I made a remark similar to that, Ryder's deal is one of the better UFA signings so far. I don't think too many figured he'd take $3.5, most thought it was going to start with a 4.

4/$20m was being thrown around before the team's late season swoon.

MB would tel you he had no character, and it would be hard to argue with. He can score goals in bunches but no heart no soul.

I saw the way he played in Boston's cup run. It seemed like he had plenty of character then. He was undrafted and turned into a 30 goal scorer who almost won rookie of the year.He scored 25-30 goals for us his first 3 years despite getting short changed in his contract with one year deals. All that determination shows me he had ALOT of character. Once again I'll go with results and what I see over Bergevins mouth. If you think it's hard for Habs to attract FAs,it's going to be MUCH harder if our management is going to bad-mouth everyone that gets traded or leaves town

I don't recall what Bergevin said, but Ryder's agent said that he simply wasn't in Bergevin's plans for the future.

Thats pretty much how I remember it going. I don't remember Bergevin bashing him.

Thats pretty much how I remember it going. I don't remember Bergevin bashing him.

This feels like a great example of how people forget that Bergevin had first crack at Ryder and every report stated he wanted a long term deal to end out his career. So Bergevin says good luck finding your long term deal. Bergevin goes ahead and signs Briere to a two year deal to fill the spot. Ryder hits free agency, waits too long and suddenly nobody is offering three year deals anymore. So he signs with New Jersey on a two year deal and people cry why didn't Bergevin sign him to that. If Ryder originally offered that deal we probably would have kept him on it.

I saw the way he played in Boston's cup run. It seemed like he had plenty of character then. He was undrafted and turned into a 30 goal scorer who almost won rookie of the year.He scored 25-30 goals for us his first 3 years despite getting short changed in his contract with one year deals. All that determination shows me he had ALOT of character. Once again I'll go with results and what I see over Bergevins mouth. If you think it's hard for Habs to attract FAs,it's going to be MUCH harder if our management is going to bad-mouth everyone that gets traded or leaves town

While going from undrafted to 30 goal scorer is impressive... the lack of character people talk about is how hot and cold he is. When he is hot he is scoring, winning battles, making plays. When he is cold he doesn't score, avoids contact, doesn't backcheck and completely vanishes from the game having no impact at all. Compare that to someone like Patches who was cold in the playoffs but still won battles and played both ends of the ice.

and I don't think Beregevin said anything either... thats one not smart and two does not seem to be the kind of thing a notoriously good natured person would do.

Personally, I'd have been fine with signing Ryder to the deal he got. He is more durable than Briere and 3 years younger; it very likely would have been a better signing. That said, Briere has a higher ceiling and adds some intangibles Ryder didn't. Either is ultimately a 'meh' in my book.

MB would tel you he had no character, and it would be hard to argue with. He can score goals in bunches but no heart no soul.

For my money, Briere doesn't replace Ryders numbers so I see this signing as a bit of a faux pas .I agree with the notion that they would have been farther ahead to reup Ryder. I thought scoring was the name of game. I thought "character" became an issue when you couldn't find the score sheet