George Parros to Montreal for Phillipe Lefebvre and a 7th in 2014

So...after this week's moves (Kristo/Briere/Parros) can we say we're reasonably better?

No. We are the same, which isn't that bad considering guys like Eller might improve play.

Good pick up. Now Prust can go back to stirring things up and beating middle weights. Also means Moen and White don't have to fight out of their class. Unlike Laraque, Parros will attack someone for mistreatment of a teammate

Because I'm sure you're all anxiously awaiting what 7th rounder is going the other way (I'll pause for the inevitable laugh), it's Florida's pick that was acquired back at the draft.

OMG that was my favorite 7th rnd pick :scared::habslogo:

Geez,what took so long ? thanks MB.This makes us better than we were . It will give some guys a little more courage to go in the corners and attack the net. Prust loves it .

Yawn. Not a fan of goons. We need top-9 toughness, not 2-minutes-per-game of flying fists.

I bet there's 10 Habs minimum that would disagree with you. Starting with Prust,White and Moen

Geez,what took so long ? thanks MB.This makes us better than we were . It will give some guys a little more courage to go in the corners and attack the net. Prust loves it .

I bet there's 10 Habs minimum that would disagree with you. Starting with Prust,White and Moen

Well, I hope you're right. It's not like we gave back anything meaningful, so I'm not upset or anything, but I'm skeptical that a move like this will really make much difference except, maybe, for a couple of games vs. the Leafs.

As JCC says, it's not about winning one fight against the leafs or Bruins. It allows the smurfs a little protection to know know they won't be taken advantage of. All team mates appreciate what players like Parros brings to teams. They said as much with the addition of Prust.

I do agree with you they need to get team toughness and size.

Yawn. Not a fan of goons. We need top-9 toughness, not 2-minutes-per-game of flying fists.

I agree, but considering how absolutely useless this deal is, how can we hate it? It's not like Parros is going to hinder future moves. Whose roster spot is he taking?

And it is, at least, an attempt at being tougher at no cost.

I agree, but considering how absolutely useless this deal is, how can we hate it? It's not like Parros is going to hinder future moves. Whose roster spot is he taking?

Right. The issue is less this move, than the fairly obvious need for other moves. Of course, he's got three months in which to make them, so there's no point in getting upset...yet.

Well, I hope you're right. It's not like we gave back anything meaningful, so I'm not upset or anything, but I'm skeptical that a move like this will really make much difference except, maybe, for a couple of games vs. the Leafs.

The entertainment value is the difference for me. With Parros, Prust and White, plus Moen and Tinordi throwing in a few fights, we might have the highest fight total in the last ten years of the franchise. We could be over 50 fights next year. Exciting stuff. JCC mentioned a perspective most fans don't talk about. The players like these guys. Desharnais said after Staubitz was acquired "I play three feet bigger when (Staubitz) is out there."

True, now if only Parros looked like Doug Glatt!!

He skates like him.

Maybe with Parros, we can have a game against BOS/TOR/PHI that doesn't turn into a sideshow,

Meh...not upset about Parros, but he doesn't make us tough. Tough is having most of your players capable of playing a tough, hard hitting game. Imagine Lucic paying with Gally.... That is protection. Having a goon come out for a staged fight with the other teams goon does nothing. The only advantage is not needing Prust or White to fill that role.

I still worry that this team is not capable of playing the tight, hard hockey we see in the playoffs, especially the final two rounds. Boston or Chicago, or LA would eat them for lunch, if we could make it that far without half the team injured.

I still hope to see DD traded for a bigger, tougher top six player. (We would clearly need more then DD in the package).

A French-Canadien smurf isn't anything useful ? Tell that to MB. ;) basically we traded Armstrong for parros. That's good by me.Now if we can do something similar with Halpern that would be awesome

Edited by jcc10

I seriously hope people don't think that replacing Ryder and Armstrong with Briere and Parros is going to improve this team. This team will be battling for the 8th spot and will get crushed in the playoffs... I hope I'm wrong, I hope Price is the goalie we all think he can be and Stanley comes home.. But I just don't see it.

Despite last years success, Montreal is closer to the basement then they are the #1 seed. So many teams getting better while Bergevin stands still..

I agree with CC's view on the 2 minute per game goon, but I also agree with you, we gave up nothing here and he's not a big contract, so I'm fine with it.

While Bergevin stands still? You have no clue what you're talking about. He's signed a free agent, inquired about others, made offers to others, and made a trade for team toughness today. I guess some around here wanted Bobby Ryan and David Clarkson on a silver platter. Bergevin also has a plan to build through the draft, he's repeated that many times.

I seriously hope people don't think that replacing Ryder and Armstrong with Briere and Parros is going to improve this team. This team will be battling for the 8th spot and will get crushed in the playoffs... I hope I'm wrong, I hope Price is the goalie we all think he can be and Stanley comes home.. But I just don't see it.

Despite last years success, Montreal is closer to the basement then they are the #1 seed. So many teams getting better while Bergevin stands still..

Bergevin is picking up stop gaps, while we wait for his draft picks to join the team.... this team is being built via the draft.... not by giving ed 5 year 24 million dollar deals to ryan clowe or 7 year deals to david clarkson, or any other absolutely ed contracts that came down today

Bergevin is picking up stop gaps, while we wait for his draft picks to join the team.... this team is being built via the draft.... not by giving 5 year 24 million dollar deals to ryan clowe or 7 year deals to david clarkson, or any other absolutely contracts that came down today

Exactly. Today (as usual) had a lot of ridiculous contracts signed, and I'm glad we didn't partake in any (tho I do feel left out of the frenzy). But really, the only contract signed that I thought we could have done was that of Ryder, and it was pretty clear he wasn't what we really need.

I agree that many of the contracts were ridiculous.. But Montreal has the pieces to put a better offer for Ryan on the table...

Just look at what teams in the division did...

Boston adds Erikkson, Iginla, and Prospects

Ottawa adds Ryan, MacArthur,

Toronto adds Bolland, Clarkson, Brennen, Bernier

Detroit adds Weiss, Alfredson

You just can't sit and wait for draft picks to develop... There's no guarantee that those picks will even work.. You have to make moves to improve.. Why does it seem like many other teams are doing so while we wait...

I agree that many of the contracts were ridiculous.. But Montreal has the pieces to put a better offer for Ryan on the table...

Just look at what teams in the division did...

Boston adds Erikkson, Iginla, and Prospects

Ottawa adds Ryan, MacArthur,

Toronto adds Bolland, Clarkson, Brennen, Bernier

Detroit adds Weiss, Alfredson

You just can't sit and wait for draft picks to develop... There's no guarantee that those picks will even work.. You have to make moves to improve.. Why does it seem like many other teams are doing so while we wait...

You can also do the same thing the other way. Just look at what the teams in the division lost!

Boston minus Seguin, Horton, Peverley, Khudobin, Ference, prospect

Ottawa minus Alfredsson, Silverberg, Benoit, Regin, 1st round pick, prospect

Toronto minus MacArthur, Matt Frattin, Leo Komarov(KHL), 2x 2nd round picks

Detroit minus Filppula

The following players can also be lost by those teams. There are others as well:

Boston - Jagr

Ottawa - Latendresse

Toronto - Grabovski

Detroit - Brunner, Cleary

• Upvote 2