Habs sign Stefan Fournier

dlbalr

You beat me by a 2nd, merge.lol.

He is a great young player!

Done and done (I've had to merge a few lately, nice to see some enthusiasm when there is news). Hamilton needs bodies...lots of them, especially up front (they now have 9 forwards, including Dumont who may not make it back there anyways). There seems to be some confusion about his size, the one site I use says 6'2, 172, others are saying 6'3, 212. Just a small difference between the two...

He plays huge, point a game guy that can and will drop the gloves. He looks and plays very big, not sure of the actual height but he is big, mean and tough with a great winning attitude. He was a key player on the Halifax team. You will really like this signing down the road. Great asset.

Most people down here thought he would go in the draft. He brings it every shift every night. His ethic is amazing and he can skate, hit and score. I am shocked we got him. He protected the big guns while being a threat. He was a fan favorite and will be in Hamilton too. Don't be surprised if he makes it to the big show in the near future. He has the drive.

ok so how did this guy not get drafted? He is big scoring forward who will drop'em and wasn't he the captain of the mooseheads. I don't get it but I will take it.

ok so how did this guy not get drafted? He is big scoring forward who will drop'em and wasn't he the captain of the mooseheads. I don't get it but I will take it.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't able to be drafted last month as he was 21 already - I think he had been through three drafts before which would have made him an outright free agent. I'm not certain on that though.

Also, my writeup on the signing including an interesting tidbit regarding some recent QMJHL acquisitions: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3130

Great signing by Montreal, hopefully now they can sign Stephan MaCauley, who is also participating in Montreals development camp and also played for Halifax this past year......both Fournier and MaCauley played great during the playoffs for Halifax and provided Halifax with quite a bit of secondary scoring behind Jonathan Drouin and Nathan McKinnin

21 and everyone is excited. What's the catch? How does he get to this point where people here all seem pleased as punch, yet he had to fall this far? Does he park in handicapped zones? Steal groceries from grannies?

21 and everyone is excited. What's the catch? How does he get to this point where people here all seem pleased as punch, yet he had to fall this far? Does he park in handicapped zones? Steal groceries from grannies?

The QMJHL is widely viewed as the weakest of the three junior leagues so overagers from there probably don't get the benefit of the doubt often. He also hasn't been too much of a point producer until recently and from what I can gather, his skating is below average. But, his recent uptick in scoring, his playoff performance, his size/grit, and apparent willingness to fight are all positives. I think the upside here is somewhat limited but at the same time, he looks like he could be a useful bottom six player for Hamilton this coming season. Is that worth getting too excited about? Probably not but any help for the farm with a bit of potential is a good thing to add.

Also, his contract info for those interested:

13-14: $575,000 NHL salary (inc. $25,000 signing bonus), $62,500 AHL salary

14-15: $575,000 NHL salary (inc. $25,000 signing bonus), $62,500 AHL salary

15-16: $600,000 NHL salary (inc. $25,000 signing bonus), $62,500 AHL salary

That all adds up to a cap hit of $583,333.