State of the team

HabsTrick450

With all the Trade/Talbot/Simmonds/Edler/Coburn/Jagr talk, I ask one question:

Are we really such a small team?

Forwards that are 6 feet or taller: White, Galchenyuk, Bourque, Eller, Moen, Pacioretty, Prust, Parros

Forwards under 6 feet: Brière, Plekanec, Gionta, Desharnais, Gallagher

Defensemen that are 6 feet or taller: Markov, Subban, Gorges, Drewiske, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu

Defensemen under 6 feet: Bouillon, Diaz

Goalies: Both over 6 feet: (6 ft 1 Budaj, 6 ft 3 Price)

A guy like Gionta, who everyone says is finished, still managed 14 goals, 12 assists for 26 points last season. In a full season, that's close to 50 points, which is the same pace he's been at since he joined the Habs. Gallagher plays like a big guy and I think no one will question Plekanec's heart. Brière is only here for 2 years and might return to his former self if played at center. Also, say what you will about Desharnais, but he still put up 10 goals, 18 assists and 28 points in 48 games. In full season, that's also about close to 50 points, which is just a little less then the 60 he scored the season before. I'm not saying that we shouldn't make ANY changes to the team: if we can trade Gionta or Desharnais for a good return, I won't object. However, we are not a bad team with the current lineup: Are we a cup contender? NO. But are we a team capable of making the playoffs and maybe winning a series? YES. Gionta's contract expires after next season, as well as Markov and Bouillon's contracts. Once this happens, Beaulieu will be able to be a full-time Hab and the likes of Nygren, Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn, Thomas, Leblanc, McCarron, Fournier, Collberg, Holland, will have a chance to battle for a spot. If they don't cut it, we will have cap space to get good players via free agency or trade. So my point is: the future is bright. If Bergevin can make a trade to improve the team, then do it. But not at the expense of our future. The Habs will be contenders in 2 years time.

• Upvote 1

We finished first in our division and other than the last few weeks of the season we played very well, very competitive and were fun to watch. I think that at the place where the NHL is right now we are a very good regular season team but are lacking some size and grit that will take us further into the playoffs.

MB said something like this recently: "There are players who will get you into the playoffs and there are players who will get you through the playoffs". I think we are lacking a few players who will get us through the playoffs. Personally I noticed that in the Ottawa series. They were a bit bigger and tougher and at that time of the season, for me, that was the difference.

So I think your main point is true. We are not a bad team. I'm glad MB isn't trying to do it all this summer. I believe he's adding pieces that will get us through the next two years until some our drafted guys are ready to step in.

Whether the Philly rumors are true or not they're out there for a reason. We have a glut of centers and second line players, and a need for a number two defenseman. I very much think that Plekanec and Beaulieu are on the move in the next couple of months. Which is unfortunate, I'm fine with moving Plekanec if we can land a player like Simmonds, but leaving Subban without a pp quarterback when Markov leaves is worrisome. Simmonds-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty and Coburn-Subban would be an elite starting lineup.

The habs/flyers rumor circulating on free agency frenzy day was just a bad game of telephone played out on twitter and other forums by unreliable sources. It wasn't reported by Lebrun, Dreger, or Mckenzie and was even denied by Talbot and Philly radio. It just started out as a rumor that we were interested in Talbot because we needed gritty forwards and then ballooned from there that oh we need size so we must want Simmonds etc.

I'm sure Plekanec could still be traded but when the Flyers added Lecavalier I think the fit there is gone. I'm sure we are intersted in Simmonds but as bergervin said in the past so are 29 other teams with guys like that.

Forwards that are 6 feet or taller: White, Galchenyuk, Bourque, Eller, Moen, Pacioretty, Prust, Parros

Defensemen that are 6 feet or taller: Markov, Subban, Gorges, Drewiske, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu

A guy like Gionta, who everyone says is finished, still managed 14 goals, 12 assists for 26 points last season. In a full season, that's close to 50 points, which is the same pace he's been at since he joined the Habs. Gallagher plays like a big guy and I think no one will question Plekanec's heart. Brière is only here for 2 years and might return to his former self if played at center. Also, say what you will about Desharnais, but he still put up 10 goals, 18 assists and 28 points in 48 games. In full season, that's also about close to 50 points, which is just a little less then the 60 he scored the season before. I'm not saying that we shouldn't make ANY changes to the team: if we can trade Gionta or Desharnais for a good return, I won't object. However, we are not a bad team with the current lineup: Are we a cup contender? NO. But are we a team capable of making the playoffs and maybe winning a series? YES. Gionta's contract expires after next season, as well as Markov and Bouillon's contracts. Once this happens, Beaulieu will be able to be a full-time Hab and the likes of Nygren, Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn, Thomas, Leblanc, McCarron, Fournier, Collberg, Holland, will have a chance to battle for a spot. If they don't cut it, we will have cap space to get good players via free agency or trade. So my point is: the future is bright. If Bergevin can make a trade to improve the team, then do it. But not at the expense of our future. The Habs will be contenders in 2 years time.

Your forgetting that most of the $$$ freed up by losing Gionta and Bouillon will go towards increases for Galchenyuk, Subban and Gallagher...maybe Tinordi and likely Emelin too. At the very least the team needs to get rid of Desharnais and find a gritty 3rd line C that can win face offs and kill penalties...that one change would balance out a lot of size concerns and keep Pleks fresh for the PP...Gionta leaving as a UFA at seasons end would potentially solve the rest of the size concerns. No one should want all the small guys gone...nothing wrong with 2-3 smaller skilled forwards...but we have 5 right now. Dumping lackluster guys like Bourque would also make me quite happy...guys who disappear for long stretches are worse to have around then small skilled players.

To answer the question: yes.

5 of our top 6 forwards are under six feet. You can win in the regular season with this, but not in the playoffs.

I'm not saying we need to goon things up but after an 82 game season our smaller forwards will be finished come playoff time.

MB needs to make a trade to get our top 6 bigger. Otherwise look for another 1st round playoff exit.

Your forgetting that most of the $$$ freed up by losing Gionta and Bouillon will go towards increases for Galchenyuk, Subban and Gallagher...maybe Tinordi and likely Emelin too. At the very least the team needs to get rid of Desharnais and find a gritty 3rd line C that can win face offs and kill penalties...that one change would balance out a lot of size concerns and keep Pleks fresh for the PP...Gionta leaving as a UFA at seasons end would potentially solve the rest of the size concerns. No one should want all the small guys gone...nothing wrong with 2-3 smaller skilled forwards...but we have 5 right now. Dumping lackluster guys like Bourque would also make me quite happy...guys who disappear for long stretches are worse to have around then small skilled players.

Considering 5 of our top 9 on that list are 5'10 or smaller,yes we are a TINY team. Considering 4 of our top 6 dmen are either under 6' and/or physically unable to handle aggressive forwards (Markov,Gorges) then yes that is even a worse issue than our little forwards. It's not just about size either ,it's more about toughness/grit. which I don't see the rest of our top 9 have either,talented or not. Prust,Parros,White,Tinordi and Emelin is where the toughness begins and ends on this team. Once again pace doesn't matter,because if Gionta can't make it through a season then his stats are what they are,not what they could be. And people are way overrating his potential return in a trade. (1st rder,LOL)

Edited by jcc10

5 of our top 6 forwards are under six feet. You can win in the regular season with this, but not in the playoffs.

I'm not saying we need to goon things up but after an 82 game season our smaller forwards will be finished come playoff time.

MB needs to make a trade to get our top 6 bigger. Otherwise look for another 1st round playoff exit.

We need to get to the playoffs to lose in the 1st. The east is much better this year. Try to name 8 teams we're definitely better than

We don't need more size, we need more skill.

You know how we'll put more size in our top six? By putting two of our third liners from last season in it. You know, Galchenyuk and Eller?

Also, we don't play a top six game anyway. We spread our forwards between three lines. Right now we're running with Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Eller, Gionta, Briere, Gallagher, Bourque and Desharnais. Guys like Desharnais and Bourque need to be replaced by better players, not bigger players.

We need to get to the playoffs to lose in the 1st. The east is much better this year. Try to name 8 teams we're definitely better than

Every division is tight right now, but for the new East I'd say we're definitely better than Tampa, Florida and Buffalo in our own division. In the other east division we're better than Philadelphia, Columbus, New Jersey and Long Island.

We may have some size, but its where we lack size that is the issue. Our top 9 from last year included Gionta, Desharnais and Gallegher. Now we just added Briere to that. Three of these guys are not just under 6 feet, but are all around 5'7" and I have a tough time believing Briere is actually 5'10". At least Gionta and Gallehger go hard to the net and play tough. However, when you consider that they are two of the few players that actually regularly screen the goalie, it hurts that most goalies are usually looking over them.

This brings us to our size players. Three young players - MaxPac, Eller and Galchenyuk are the only ones who are over 6 feet. Gally still needs to fill out to be a physical force, while Eller and MaxPac still need to learn to use their size more effectively.

This brings us to the balance of size. White and Prust are the only ones who I'd want playing regular minutes. Parros at best will play 50 games and is a 4th liner for about 4 to 5 minutes a night. Moen may as well be 5'9", as I think Gallegher plays tougher game then him. Bourque has size, but you don't know what you will get. will he be the guy who looked like he actually wanted to play hockey (when healthy) this year, or the guy who looked like he just wanted to cash a cheque, like he did the previous 2 years???

Of our defencemen, the only truly physical dman we have are Tinordi (still learning the ropes), Emelin (injured for the first couple of months) and Subban are the only ones who are physical. Of these only Tinordi and Emelin are really net clearers.

The cube has a big heart, but doesn't have the frame to deal with Lucic, Iginla, Clarkson, Ryan, who are all going to be players that we will see a lot of in our division. IMO he is also now at best a 7th dman.

We really needed some size up front and at least one other big net clearing bruiser in the top 3 on the defence. Up front, our top 6 could really have used some size, which is why, I'd rather have paid Vinny $4.5M/5 years, then Briere $4m/2 years - despite not really being a Vinny fan. What I would have killed for is a bold move like bringing in Bobby Ryan.

We finished first in our division and other than the last few weeks of the season we played very well, very competitive and were fun to watch. I think that at the place where the NHL is right now we are a very good regular season team but are lacking some size and grit that will take us further into the playoffs.

MB said something like this recently: "There are players who will get you into the playoffs and there are players who will get you through the playoffs". I think we are lacking a few players who will get us through the playoffs. Personally I noticed that in the Ottawa series. They were a bit bigger and tougher and at that time of the season, for me, that was the difference.

So I think your main point is true. We are not a bad team. I'm glad MB isn't trying to do it all this summer. I believe he's adding pieces that will get us through the next two years until some our drafted guys are ready to step in.

We had a good first half and could easily have missed the playoffs had this been a full season, considering how we fell apart in as aspects, (scoring, defense, goal), once Emelin went down.

I think had this been a full season, at best we would have been battling for a 6 to 8 spot in the East. Next year we are in tougher. A lot of teams have improved more then we have. I think in the east, the playoffs locks are:

Division C:

-Boston

-Detroit

-Ottawa

Division D:

-Pittsburgh

-NYR

-NYI

-CBJ

That leaves us, toronto, Washington and Philly all fighting for a playoff spot.

The issue we have is that the only move to date MB has made is to bring in a goon. We need to move one of Gionta or DD - IMO both should be moved. The rumour I'm seeing most is Pleks. I think it would be idiotic to move a guy like Pleks for a guy like Edler like is being rumoured.

I also wonder if we could try and package Desharnais, Gorges and Moen for Gagner and Paajarvi from Edmonton. Edmonton is looking for leaderhship, help on defence and grit which Moen and Gorges would provide. Desharnais is signed for 4 years which MIGHT be attractive to Edmonton, given their challenge in attracting free agents (Schultz not withstanding).

The issue we have is that the only move to date MB has made is to bring in a goon. We need to move one of Gionta or DD - IMO both should be moved. The rumour I'm seeing most is Pleks. I think it would be idiotic to move a guy like Pleks for a guy like Edler like is being rumoured.

Does everyone forget that Brian Gionta is damn good just because they watch hockey based on measurement sticks?

You know how we'll put more size in our top six? By putting two of our third liners from last season in it. You know, Galchenyuk and Eller?

Also, we don't play a top six game anyway. We spread our forwards between three lines. Right now we're running with Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Eller, Gionta, Briere, Gallagher, Bourque and Desharnais. Guys like Desharnais and Bourque need to be replaced by better players, not bigger players.

Every division is tight right now, but for the new East I'd say we're definitely better than Tampa, Florida and Buffalo in our own division. In the other east division we're better than Philadelphia, Columbus, New Jersey and Long Island.

Actually I think Galchenyuk and Eller were top sixers last year. Unfortunately, MT didn't think so. I shudder at how much he may play Parros and who he will play Parros with next year.

My issue with the team as it is-no matter how impressive it is to have that many second liners, only Pacioretty on a good day is a true first liner in that group.

Galchenyuk-Borderline 2nd/3rd liner, potential borderline 2nd/1st by the end of next year.

Pacioretty-1st line winger on any team

Plekanec-Top 2nd line center in the league. You can use the whole "name 30 better centers" but Patrice Bergeron isn't a first line center either, for the same reason. Neither was Koivu.

Eller-Great third line center with some second line upside. Hate to beat a dead horse, but he has to be the most fan-overrated player in the entire league.

Gionta-Hourglass almost out of sand.

Briere-See Gionta

Bourque-2nd liner

Desharnais-Number one center on the worst team in the East two years ago

Does everyone forget that Brian Gionta is damn good just because they watch hockey based on measurement sticks?

I don't disagree that Gionta is a great player. But when he is one of TWO players on the team that goes to the net to screen the goalie with any sort of regularity, doesn't help us. Most goalies are at least a full head taller then Gionta and can easily see over him. We can't have a PP where the first unit has Gionta screen the goalie and the second unit has Galleghar - and i love gallagher. Both guys have speed and skill but spend a lot of time guys getting knocked down.

Actually I think Galchenyuk and Eller were top sixers last year. Unfortunately, MT didn't think so. I shudder at how much he may play Parros and who he will play Parros with next year.

I see a lot of double shifting from Prust next year to take care of the whole "Parros with his gloves on" conundrum.

My issue with the team as it is-no matter how impressive it is to have that many second liners, only Pacioretty on a good day is a true first liner in that group.

Galchenyuk-Borderline 2nd/3rd liner, potential borderline 2nd/1st by the end of next year.

Plekanec-Top 2nd line center in the league. You can use the whole "name 30 better centers" but Patrice Bergeron isn't a first line center either, for the same reason. Neither was Koivu.

Eller-Great third line center with some second line upside. Hate to beat a dead horse, but he has to be the most fan-overrated player in the entire league.

Briere-See Gionta

Bourque-2nd liner

I agree with you on all except the following:

-Eller - I think he is a definite #2 in the making and may surpass Pleks.

- Bourque - is a 2nd liner on the rare days he feels like being a second liner.

I'll also add that Desharnais was only a #1 centre because he had two GREAT wingers having GREAT years. he should have been benched for the entire second half of last year.

I agree with you on all except the following:

-Eller - I think he is a definite #2 in the making and may surpass Pleks.

- Bourque - is a 2nd liner on the rare days he feels like being a second liner.

I'll also add that Desharnais was only a #1 centre because he had two GREAT wingers having GREAT years. he should have been benched for the entire second half of last year.

Which brings us to what Bergevin must see...the only player on that list who is tradeable, in terms of assets coming back (and not being Galchenyuk/Gallagher) is Plekanec, I think he's going to get shipped out at some point in a blockbuster. This team is too redundant to make sense.

Briere-See Gionta

Bourque-2nd liner

Disagree for sure on Eller, you should compare his points and minutes played to other centers around the league. He also had the ability to score no matter who was on his line, evidenced by the time he got a point on the fourth line when just getting out of the doghouse. Bourque is a third liner.

However, your point is what I'm really getting at with the skill vs. size thing. If that was 06-07 Briere and 05-06 Gionta, meaning we had two first line wingers who could put up almost 100 points in a season, would we be having a size debate? Or would we be discussing how we should be winning the Cup?

A lot of people are talking up Collberg as the real deal after his past season and his play in the Development Camp. When Galchenyuk is playing like a first liner, Eller is getting more minutes and Gallagher gets better than he already is, are we going to be discussing the team's size or are we going to be discussing how good the team is?

Which brings us to what Bergevin must see...the only player on that list who is tradeable, in terms of assets coming back (and not being Galchenyuk/Gallagher) is Plekanec, I think he's going to get shipped out at some point in a blockbuster. This team is too redundant to make sense.

I would have no hesitation on moving Pleks. would have down it without thinking about it for Bobby Ryan. Would have also been a better use of Kristo and I'd have gladly given up a 1st rounder. My worry is that we see Pleks moving for Edler. Edler is NOT the type of dman we need unless we are moving Markov for him.

It's a good point about our team being stacked with second-liners. I hadn't thought about it that way. However, it's not a bad model of team-building, when you think about it. That kind of depth is really hard to handle and avoids the Pittsburgh trap of sinking a third of your team's salary in four players.

Are we too small? Yes. We basically replaced Cammalleri with Briere (or Gallagher, depending on how you look at it). I've always maintained that "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog," etc., etc., but at the end of the day the 2010 run demonstrated that you can go far, but only so far, with a team of feisty smurfs. We have a lot of good, likeable players but will not win the Cup as currently configured.

That said, I am MUCH more concerned about our blueline than our forward unit. Assuming no regressions by young players, in pure hockey terms there really isn't a weak link in the bunch except Desharnais, White and maybe Bourque (who played excellently last year and in any case is surely a plausible third liner). Too small, but all quality players. The blue line has a gaping hole without Emelin and needs another player of that kind to provide balance and depth even with Emelin in the lineup. I do not regard out current configuration at D (i.e., without Emelin) as worthy of a team that intends to be more than a bubble squad, let alone win in the playoffs. Every player there is one-dimensional except Subban, and of those only Markov is above average in his specialty (offence).

• Upvote 1

Disagree for sure on Eller, you should compare his points and minutes played to other centers around the league. He also had the ability to score no matter who was on his line, evidenced by the time he got a point on the fourth line when just getting out of the doghouse. Bourque is a third liner.

However, your point is what I'm really getting at with the skill vs. size thing. If that was 06-07 Briere and 05-06 Gionta, meaning we had two first line wingers who could put up almost 100 points in a season, would we be having a size debate? Or would we be discussing how we should be winning the Cup?

A lot of people are talking up Collberg as the real deal after his past season and his play in the Development Camp. When Galchenyuk is playing like a first liner, Eller is getting more minutes and Gallagher gets better than he already is, are we going to be discussing the team's size or are we going to be discussing how good the team is?

The issue is we have Gallagher - IMO a 05-06 Gionta in the making, playing on a top 9 that includes a broken down 13-14 Gionta, an aging, broken down and slower 13-14 Briere (who has declined drastically the last two years) and a 5'7 (probably with his skates on) Desharnais who never did have Gionta or Briere's speed. If we actually did have the Gionta from 7 years ago (an anomaly year in terms of his shooting percentage) and Briere from 6 years ago, we'd be fine - assuming we had the tough NJD and Buffalo teams they played on.

and of those only Markov is above average in his specialty (offence).

Uh you do realize that Markov was top five in defence scoring this season right?

In 09-10 he only played 45 games but still cracked the Top 40. He played 78 games in 08-09 and was 2nd in D scoring.

It's starting to get depressing how people here have a lower opinion of their team than even our rivals.

I like Eller and Galchenyuk as much as anyone on this board but handing them the keys to the vault isn't going to ensure our success. They will need protection too otherwise they will suffer from what happened to Prust last year, by the time the playoffs roll around they will be beaten down.

Plus, what happens if one if them gets hurt? When Eller went down against Ottawa last year, it was a glimpse of things to come when one of our bigger forwards goes down. Canadiens need to get some bigger bodies up front and while I agree with MB's philosophy of building through the draft, it will take us a few years until we have a better balance. As it stands today: we're a small, albeit fast team. Like I said, we'll compete to make the playoffs but we won't go far once we're in.