McCarron going to London

Haven't seen any discussion on this yet, but I'm curious to know if anybody else thinks this was the right decision.

Going with London over Western Michigan I had the pros as:

- more games, more ice time (maybe groomed as a net presence on a stacked PP)

- guaranteed big game experience hosting the memorial cup

- primed with a hockey mad Canadian city

- allowed to work on his "pugalistic" skills

And the cons as:

- more "practice time" (time in the gym to slowly add muscle)

- would be tested immediatley in a scoring role (Murray gave that impression)

I have the coaches as an even wash. While the Hunters are proven developers of major league talent, I see Andy Murray as no slouch and he reportedly has a great strength and conditioning coach in Tim Herrmann.

Long time reader first time poster. Maybe I'm looking for positives in this mediocre start to the off-season, but I was happy to hear about this news

• Upvote 1

As far as I'm concerned there is no replacement for game experience, and he will play many more games in the OHL. While the Gym time is nice, the kid is already huge and from what I hear he may need to work on his skating and the best way to do that is to skate more.

Plus the Hunters will turn him into one mean SOB ..... :halm:

Haven't seen any discussion on this yet, but I'm curious to know if anybody else thinks this was the right decision.

Going with London over Western Michigan I had the pros as:

- more games, more ice time (maybe groomed as a net presence on a stacked PP)

- guaranteed big game experience hosting the memorial cup

- primed with a hockey mad Canadian city

- allowed to work on his "pugalistic" skills

And the cons as:

- more "practice time" (time in the gym to slowly add muscle)

- would be tested immediatley in a scoring role (Murray gave that impression)

I have the coaches as an even wash. While the Hunters are proven developers of major league talent, I see Andy Murray as no slouch and he reportedly has a great strength and conditioning coach in Tim Herrmann.

Long time reader first time poster. Maybe I'm looking for positives in this mediocre start to the off-season, but I was happy to hear about this news

Welcome aboard. We were discussing this in the draft thread (in the Habs Talk subforum) but that's a well done analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get to see McCarron first hand. The Knights won't stunt his growth as a hockey player. Those thinking that he will wind up in Hamiliton at the end of the year might want to cool their jets abit. I will remind everyone that the Knights are hosting the cup round robin, therefore McCarron will not be done till the junior cup is decided.